2020 NFL Draft Profile: DE Jonathan Garvin

View as article

Lance Roffers

Junior
Jonathan Garvin was four-star recruit from Lake Worth, Florida who enrolled early at Miami and turned heads from the time he hit the practice field. Recruited by former DL coach, Craig Kuligowski, Garvin came to Miami over offers from Brent Venables at Clemson and Larry Scott at Tennessee.

Garvin had two sacks as a true freshman and then played in 25 games over the next two seasons, amassing a total of 12.5 sacks, 29 tackles for loss, and a touchdown his sophomore year against North Carolina.

Pre-Draft Measurables

Height:
6’4”

Weight: 263

Arm: 34”

Hand: 9 5/8”

Wingspan: 80.5”

225 LB. Bench Reps: 23

Vertical Jump: 36”

Broad Jump: 10’5”

Strengths

Stack-and-Shed

Garvin is able to use his length to lock his arms out and control blockers while still having the athleticism and strength to shed the blocker and make the tackle on ball carriers on the edges. A team that use controlled rush schemes will value his ability to set the edge and use power when rushing the passer. Teams that employ more of a “Wide-9” scheme and ask the edge player to run the arc and get to the passer will value Garvin lower. Teams like the Patriots, Dolphins, Dolphins, Titans will value Garvin’s skillset in this regard highly.

Intelligence
Earlier in the year, Louisville hit a big play to Garvin’s side with Tutu Atwell on a jet sweep where Garvin bit too far inside and gave up the edge. Later in the same game Louisville tried this play again, only this time Garvin diagnosed the play and made a TFL. You saw many examples of Garvin learning in-game from what the opponent was trying to do against him and then adjusting to make big plays.

Versatility
Garvin has the ability to play from both a stand-up position as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme and as a weakside DE with his hand in the ground in a 4-3. He has a powerful bull rush, which is a prerequisite for a pass rusher to have versatility, as if an OT is not scared of your ability to go through his chest, he will just set deep on you every play confident in his ability to re-anchor and hold you out with power. Garvin has the versatility to beat OT’s with power if they expose their chest, or the ability to use his athleticism to get around the edge.

Weaknesses

Athleticism

When projecting edge defenders from the college level to the professional level, one of the biggest reasons for misses is the player just doesn’t have the requisite athleticism to defeat OT’s with a speed rush. While Garvin has explosive qualities, he didn’t show the fluidity this year needed to be a premium pass rusher.

Motor
Many within NFL circles are convinced that Garvin was “protecting” himself during his draft year and not playing with a high motor. The result is that Garvin lacked the finishing qualities of a top-level NFL player this year. In the NFL, more than half of the sacks league-wide are a result of a defender’s effort, rather than the player simply defeating the OT around the edge quickly. If Garvin does not display more effort, he will lack value to an NFL roster.

Draft Projection: 5th round
In the end, I believe Garvin ends up being the highest draft selection for Miami this year. He has potential as a versatile edge defender who will do dirty work in setting the edge and has some pass rush ability. Questions remain about his passion for the game after a Junior season that saw him regress statistically and put out some film that showed a lack of motor. Was Garvin protecting himself, or did he peak early in college and lack further upside?

I’m betting on Garvin exceeding his draft position and making a nice find for an NFL team on the third day of the draft.

Advertisement
While I can never forget Jonathan Garvin making a future Top 10 left tackle (Mike McGlinchey) look absolutely stupid as a true freshman...I can't forgive how he quit on this team. We had so many issues on this team last year and I'm certain he was one of the major problems. Sorry if that isn't the case, but that is my perception of him. Was absolutely nonchalant all year.

He has tested much higher - although incomplete, to be fair - than any of our previous DL that have come out...Chad Thomas, Trent Harris, Joe Jackson, et al. 61st percentile at 6'4" 261...long arms. He's sprinkled some of the requisite skill set to play in the league throughout his three years here...he's shown bend, a nice first step...but its so irregular, especially later in his career, and he went miles before you even noticed him on the field.

He's one of those late draft picks or UDFA types, to me. I can't imagine a team not liking something there and drafting him, but I don't see anyone publicly meeting with him yet either and I thought his play this past year was that of an undraftable player. I can't shake it.

With that said, he's the youngest EDGE player and one of the youngest players in the draft...there's a little bit there of everything left to develop. I think best case is a rotational end, worst case he flounders around for a few years before he doesn't exist on a roster. ymmv

If he’s motivated he will be a great draft pick on early day 3. One of the highest upsides and best athletes after chase young and klavon chaisson at edge

Advertisement
Thought he was gonna be a monster. I Wonder if the team had a better culture and more on field leadership how it would’ve effected this year.

I think a lot of the criticism right now is unfair. How many sacks would Garvin have had if he wasn’t asked to spy dual threat QBs? For example, he spied Franks all game against UF. It’s a testament to how much faith the coaches have in him to make tackles. He was doubled many times on passing downs until Rousseau started coming on hard. I personally felt he was asked to do too much this year.

Garvin has more talent than Joe Jack who went early day 3. Somebody will be getting a steal in Garvin if he lasts that long. Dude has a 36 inch vert at 263 pounds. That’s NBA athletic. He was called the spider for his elite bend. The only thing I’d like to see is a faster 40 but that’s not a tell all for DE’s. Yannick Ngakoue ran a 4.8 also.

Advertisement
At times he looked unstoppable. Last year was head scratcher for sure. Really want him to outplay his draft position. But a kid who can’t will himself into the first 2 days with the dudes he’s made look slow and stupid as well as what kool has said about him makes me wonder how bad he wants it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Wouldn't everyone be a first rounder if they put up GR15 numbers?
Not really... that kid out Utah lead the NCAA in sacks with like **** near 20 and didn’t go first round think he went middle rounds

Gotta have the freaky physciallyty and show consistent high production

Advertisement
Back