2020 LB Derek Wingo Updates His Recruitment

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
St. Thomas Aquinas has three D1 linebackers in 2019, two of whom will be attending the University of Miami. As impressive as that is, the talent does not stop there. 2020 linebacker Derek Wingo will continue the tradition of D1 linebackers from Aquinas, and possibly also continue the St. Thomas to Miami pipeline. Right now, however, Wingo is just trying to improve his game and get bigger. He hopes to be at 215 or 220 pounds by the time his junior season starts. Wingo will play linebacker, safety, and defensive end for Aquinas next year. So what is one thing you should know about Derek Wingo the person?

“That I just give my best at everything and winning everything in every way is my type of mentality.”

This carries over into Derek Wingo the player.

“I am loud and an enthusiastic person who is going to make plays when it’s needed.”

Nesta Silvera coined the phrase ‘make the crib great’ which Wingo and other recruits have eaten up.

“That’s the new thing that’s been going around and it’s going to be soon.”

What does Wingo think of new Miami commits Avery Huff and Anthony Solomon?

“Huge pickups. Our relationship helps a lot. They are very explosive and fast players.”

When asked if there was any chance Solomon or Huff ever back out of their commitments, the answer was short and sweet.

“No.”

Derek Wingo stirred up some controversy by throwing up ‘The U’ while in a Gators uniform.

“It wasn’t meant to be disrespectful to Florida. Mike Harley came on the live. We were just showing him some love that’s all.”

Speaking of Harley, he, Solomon, and Huff are all recruiting Wingo to Miami.

“Ya. Just to make the crib great and stay home with the fam.”

Coach Diaz is leading the recruitment for Wingo. Diaz has a pretty simple message right now.

“Just to keep working and learning from people like Solomon.”

Wingo thinks very highly of Diaz as a person.

“He expects great character and effort as he displays the same.”

Wingo was down on campus for the underclassman day, and will likely be down again in July for Paradise Camp.

“It was good. I liked all the new stuff they are building.”

When Wingo does make a decision, what will be a selling point?

“Relationship with the coaches and the best fit for me to play and be a key component.”

Wingo’s communication with Diaz has not stopped, but it has slowed down. Schools like Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Clemson are talking to him the most right now, which is also his top group.

Wingo gave us some predictions as to where some of his upperclassman teammates will end up signing.

“Braylen (Ingraham) I’m thinking Miami, Jordan (Battle) I think Ohio State or LSU, and Jaden (Davis) probably Oklahoma or Clemson.”

Advertisement
not Sure why communication has slowed down from Diaz end... Wingo should def be sort of the 20 class

Advertisement
Back