2020 Freshman 15: July Edition

View as article
Advertisement
I agree with some of your points, but if memory serves me, the rumor was rumph called him out for his bull**** behavior at the game and little BJ Hendo got in his feelings over it. I also believe it was like a week before NSD.
Its because we knew we were out of the race. Its a week before NSD is the key word...we got beat out period.

How do you know they did a **** of a good job raising him? I don't know him from Adam but maybe they just hit the lottery genetically. You're making it sound like his parents are like Donnell Harris' father. They good cause they hit the jackpot.

It's the coaching job to bring in and develop players that contribute to the success of the team. If a player becomes a "multimillionaire" that's a happy by product. The draft is merely a projection if a player will help a team get to the playoffs and ultimately the Super Bowl. For the teams that are successful, that a significant consideration.

It's also the parent's responsibility to teach their kids to be resilient and handle adversity. Do you think he's properly equipped to deal with that when he goes to the next level and most players are as good as him or better? What about when his career is over? For his sake, I hope it's so. So far he hasn't shown it.
Thank you! I didn't want to engage a couple of people who responded to my post from yesterday where I defended Rumph's action. This goes with the pu$$yfication of society where people can't handle criticism. I got news for them because it will happen when they have to work for a living, or even in the NFL where they get beat out or give up a game winning TD because he was upset about what someone said about him the week before. Maybe a WR talked about his momma after s 1st down catch.
Maybe it has to do with those **** 8th place trophies! Good luck to all these divas when reality hits.

Advertisement
Yea everyone was putting excuses for him thats what it was. It was so many people who believed u could not come out and say it was BS cause then the pitch forks would be out.
The scary thing is it could have been true that Rumph went off on him for how he was said to have behaved. But that would basically just tell you about Rumph as a recruiter, not this kid.

The scary thing is it could have been true that Rumph went off on him for how he was said to have behaved. But that would basically just tell you about Rumph as a recruiter, not this kid.
If he legit went off on a recruit that we wanted, then that would explain him seeking help with his recruiting approach.

Hopefully, he learned that he doesn’t have the former player luxury of trashing recruits, as they so enjoy doing on the radio, and that he has to subjugate his ego and swallow copious amounts of fecal fragments in order to sell these snot-nosed punks.

If he legit went off on a recruit that we wanted, then that would explain him seeking help with his recruiting approach.

Hopefully, he learned that he doesn’t have the former player luxury of trashing recruits, as they so enjoy doing on the radio, and that he has to subjugate his ego and swallow copious amounts of fecal fragments in order to sell these snot-nosed punks.
Yep. Rumph may be a good dude and a real dude. I am not sure either trait is helpful for CFB pitchman. But it is what it is. He has to learn the game and be willing to play it, if he is going to win at it.

Advertisement
Thank you! I didn't want to engage a couple of people who responded to my post from yesterday where I defended Rumph's action. This goes with the pu$$yfication of society where people can't handle criticism. I got news for them because it will happen when they have to work for a living, or even in the NFL where they get beat out or give up a game winning TD because he was upset about what someone said about him the week before. Maybe a WR talked about his momma after s 1st down catch.
Maybe it has to do with those **** 8th place trophies! Good luck to all these divas when reality hits.

I wasn't going to engage in it either. But the idea that he was going to get rich so all that other BS didn't matter didn't sit right.

And that's not to say that the idea that we were out of it before the all star is without merit. I don't remember who said it but there was noise before that game that Shannon was making a move on him. For all we know the incident in Orlando may have been a convenient out rather than the deciding factor. Regardless, the way it was handled by them made him look petulant. At the same time, the way some here are remembering it to bash Rumph screams of sour grapes. Both sides are reading into it what they want to believe.

He's been a gator for two years, it's time to move on. It doesn't bother one bit that he isn't a Cane. I don't feel that we missed out not having him. I'm focusing on the development of who we've got and who we have a chance to get in this class.

Last edited:
Do we circle back around on Henry Gray? Seems like Manny and company are finding success getting kids to "re-commit" like the South Dade kids or at least back in the fold/lead for kids that were leans before last year's debacle of a season (Rivers and Chantz, for example).

I know folks have been critical of Gray's speed and he's dropped over 100 places in rankings, but have to think he's a better pull than our other targets, right now, at the position.

All the prediction movement to "foggy" made me think of this possibility, especially when Ivins threw his foggy prediction in there.

Y’all still losing sleep over Rumph I see..

He’s been here for 4 years. If he doesn’t get how recruiting works by now then he’ll never get it. If he’s not a good recruiter by now he’ll never be good at it.

In 4 years his resume it weak as a developer and recruiter.

Corn Elder in the 4th. Corn was elite.

Colbert drafted in the 6th

Malek Young looked to have promising career prior to injury.

Mike Jack from nobody to 4th rounder.

Ja’vontae Dean a FA deal.

In 4 years the best he could do is the 4th round and only one of those dudes he recruited (Dean). Losing Malek sucks but Richt brought him here not Rumph.

Are Blades, Ivey, Couch, Williams 4th round or better? We will find out soon, so far Rumphs track record speaks for itself. It sucks. Just deal with it. Banda is in the same boat.

Which one of those guys should've been drafted higher? Colbert wasn't even going to make the NFL.

We literally had the best pass defense in the country last year. Where guys get drafted have so much more to do with measurables, potential, etc. Fact of the matter is that we have had great CB play under Rumph. Criticizing him as a developer of talent is plane silly. Gloves are off in terms of his recruiting ability, but he's absolutely a great developer.

Advertisement

He’s been here for 4 years. If he doesn’t get how recruiting works by now then he’ll never get it. If he’s not a good recruiter by now he’ll never be good at it.

In 4 years the best he could do is the 4th round and only one of those dudes he recruited (Dean). Losing Malek sucks but Richt brought him here not Rumph.

Are Blades, Ivey, Couch, Williams 4th round or better? We will find out soon, so far Rumphs track record speaks for itself. It sucks. Just deal with it. Banda is in the same boat.
Look, rumph may be nobody’s cup of tea as a recruiter, but he has done a good job of cbs since he has been here, imo.

Elder was a good athlete, not a fonished product. He had a good career at um and went in the draft. Colbert had one year with rumph amd went from nope to maybe. Good outcome.

Jackson was a good development, no question.

Rumph has done a good job as a coach, its just not clear he can sell well.

Best DB coach in the #1 passing Defense in the country? I am more than happy with Rumph.
This again 🙄

Rumph has had his recruiting struggles but it’s hard to argue he’s gotten the most out of his position group (and the safeties, as people in the know have alluded to).

And whether you like it or not, he’s a former Cane, 1st round draft pick, local boy, national champion, and loved by Manny. Get used to him being our CB coach.

Advertisement
Look, rumph may be nobody’s cup of tea as a recruiter, but he has done a good job of cbs since he has been here, imo.

Elder was a good athlete, not a fonished product. He had a good career at um and went in the draft. Colbert had one year with rumph amd went from nope to maybe. Good outcome.

What do y'all expect from Rumph? He's supposed to beat out Bama and UGA for 5* recruits on a team that's underachieved for years?? Y'all silly.

Given the situation, the fact that we've gotten SEVEN 4* CB's in the past 3 years shows that he's gotta be doing something right on the trail. Especially landing Christian after an ugly 7-6 season.

Last edited:
What do y'all expect from Rumph? He's supposed to beat out Bama and UGA for 5* recruits on a team that's underachieved for years?? Y'all silly.

Given the situation, the fact that we've gotten SEVEN 4* CB's in the past 3 years shows that he's gotta be doing something right on the trail. Especially landing Christian after an ugly 7-6 season.
I dont get your question. I was complimenting Randy.

How is he this bad recruiter that y'all are making him out to be? What do y'all expect from him?

Advertisement
Back