2020 Freshman 15: July Edition

View as article
Advertisement
I'm a parent and it is my job to teach, my kids right from wrong and punish at times. This is also a coach's job. Rumph did what he had to do and Henderson did not like it.

Well his parents did a **** of a good job raising him. The kid is about to be a multi millionaire at 22.

That is great that you want to teach your kid to be a morally upstanding citizen.

However, it also fine when parents want to teach their kids how to be successful even if it means committing "wrongs".

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Theo Johnson. Windsor is very close to Detroit and has more of a Big 10 vibe so location probably won't be a selling point for him.

Windsor is also the home of Brett Romberg. Lots of love for THE U in Windsor. Unfortunately the other UM (Michigan) reigns supreme.

It’s not just them. It’s Marco and Hendo the year before.

Marco? As in Wilson. After Golden blew it with his brother he was never coming. Henderson is another diva that wigged out in front of Rumph at an all star game in Orlando because he wasn't starting. Rumph said "A Cane doesn't act that way" and he got his feelings hurt. Don't need that type of head case in the locker room, it's cancerous.

The only valid one from those years was Asante Samuels and I don't know whose decision it was not to recruit him. After we tried late to get on him late he said "No thanks". Sounds like another Parrish situation.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I hate these rumors of girlfriends and family problems and all star behavior lol all BS to me never believed it then never going to believe that now. We lost CJ why cant we just accept it and take the L? So if Sean Taylor got mad in an all star game u would stop recruiting him? If so good luck getting fired in 4 years especially with the position we are in with dbs most of the time. I could believe this if it was a stacked roster.

I dont care if Christ told me that was true I would not believe it...well maybe only him but still thats a BS rumor that someone passed on that believed someone else who said it. Its just retarded not to recruit someone from getting mad, once CJ decommitted he was gone we all know this all star game or not they beat us for him.

I mean really a coach is job is to recruit and have short memory and they stop recruiting a stud because of an allstar game? CMON really sit there and think about it, and if u question it its probably not true.

I'm only repeating what I remember from here but I don't believe he stopped recruiting him. They went back after him to try to smooth things over after the emotions had settled but he was still resentful. Also, I remember something about Shannon having a relationship with his father and that gave him the opening he needed.

At this point, if the success of this program depends on a single recruit, we have bigger problems. We have to look at the body of work. We lost out on the big fishes to bags, we've got some really good players that non-bag schools would be delighted to have, and are currently in the middle of what everyone is saying is a down year for DBs in So FL. Just have to let it play out.

Last edited:
Which was probably worse than "losing" him.

This is just dumb. There is such a thing as evaluating someone's character. Not everyone is made out to play at UM. We used to be mentally tough. As a whole (or course there are exceptions), mental toughness is something we're lacking. It makes no sense to intentionally bring in someone who's shown they're mentally weak.

Oh, by the way, while I hear he's become a good cover back, he shies away from contact. I can't imagine a CB that's timid in providing run support playing in Manny's defense.

Last edited:
Well his parents did a **** of a good job raising him. The kid is about to be a multi millionaire at 22.

That is great that you want to teach your kid to be a morally upstanding citizen.

However, it also fine when parents want to teach their kids how to be successful even if it means committing "wrongs".

How do you know they did a **** of a good job raising him? I don't know him from Adam but maybe they just hit the lottery genetically. You're making it sound like his parents are like Donnell Harris' father. They good cause they hit the jackpot.

It's the coaching job to bring in and develop players that contribute to the success of the team. If a player becomes a "multimillionaire" that's a happy by product. The draft is merely a projection if a player will help a team get to the playoffs and ultimately the Super Bowl. For the teams that are successful, that a significant consideration.

It's also the parent's responsibility to teach their kids to be resilient and handle adversity. Do you think he's properly equipped to deal with that when he goes to the next level and most players are as good as him or better? What about when his career is over? For his sake, I hope it's so. So far he hasn't shown it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm only repeating what I remember from here but I don't believe he stopped recruiting him. They went back after him to try to smooth things over after emotion settled but he was still resentful. Also, I remember something about Shannon had a relationship with his father and that gave him the opening he needed.

At this point, if the success of this program depends on a single recruit, we have bigger problems. We have to look at the body of work. We lost out on the big fishes to bags, we've got some really good players that non-bag schools would be delighted to have, and are currently in the middle of what everyone is saying is a down year for DBs in So FL. Just have to let it play out.
not saying u or the person who brought the news, it was the source. It was amazing to me that people believed that story that made zero sense

How do you know they did a **** of a good job raising him? I don't him from Adam but maybe they just hit the lottery genetically. You're making it sound like his parents are like Donnell Harris' father. They good cause they hit the jackpot.

It's the coaching job to bring in and develop players that contribute to the success of the team. If a player becomes a "multimillionaire" that's a happy by product. The draft is merely a projection if a player will help a team get to the playoffs and ultimately the Super Bowl. For the teams that are successful, that a significant consideration.

It's also the parent's responsibility to teach their kids to be resilient and handle adversity. Do you think he's properly equipped to deal with that when he goes to the next level and most players are as good as him or better? What about when his career is over? For his sake, I hope it's so. So far he hasn't shown it.

If your kid ends up being a multimillionaire by the age of 22 you did something right.

U don't have to. Believe what you want to believe. My overall thinking on Rumph is that yes he needs to do better in recruiting. Manny now being the head coach needs to step in and assist on the elite CBs since it's one of the prime positions the top teams like to load up on. Blake Baker as well.

Rumph has done a good job coaching up players. He now has better overall talent to deal with. He needs to get a guy drafted in the top 2 rounds whenever these young guys enter the draft. We all know the team needs to win and all that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
LOL @ THEM RUNNING OUT THE PUSHED OUT THEORY AND ALL STAR GAME BULLSH*T. IT WAS ALL BOARD CREATED CANES TEARS HONESTLY TO SAVE FACE.

NO ONE CARES THAT MUCH ABOUT AN ALL STAR GAME. OR USES THAT TO THEN "CHECK CHARACTER". ALL THAT SH*T IS DONE BEFOREHAND IN RECRUITING
facts man how could anyone believe that lol it such a BS story to save face thats exactly what it was. People act like kids on the team or any other team dont get mad if there benched that **** happens all the time HS College and the pros, they think these kids are the same when that camera is on.
It was dead *** Cane Tears people couldnt accept UF took a player when they have been doing it for awhile, they needed an excuse as to why a player would go to a 6 win squad over a good cane team that year.

Advertisement
I hate these rumors of girlfriends and family problems and all star behavior lol all BS to me never believed it then never going to believe that now. We lost CJ why cant we just accept it and take the L? So if Sean Taylor got mad in an all star game u would stop recruiting him? If so good luck getting fired in 4 years especially with the position we are in with dbs most of the time. I could believe this if it was a stacked roster.

I dont care if Christ told me that was true I would not believe it...well maybe only him but still thats a BS rumor that someone passed on that believed someone else who said it. Its just retarded not to recruit someone from getting mad, once CJ decommitted he was gone we all know this all star game or not they beat us for him.

I mean really a coach is job is to recruit and have short memory and they stop recruiting a stud because of an allstar game? CMON really sit there and think about it, and if u question it its probably not true.
I agree with some of your points, but if memory serves me, the rumor was rumph called him out for his bull**** behavior at the game and little BJ Hendo got in his feelings over it. I also believe it was like a week before NSD.

LOL @ THEM RUNNING OUT THE PUSHED OUT THEORY AND ALL STAR GAME BULLSH*T. IT WAS ALL BOARD CREATED CANES TEARS HONESTLY TO SAVE FACE.

NO ONE CARES THAT MUCH ABOUT AN ALL STAR GAME. OR USES THAT TO THEN "CHECK CHARACTER". ALL THAT SH*T IS DONE BEFOREHAND IN RECRUITING
I can see your logic, but if I remember right, the story got a lot of traction because the person who brought it to the board was pretty credible.

Advertisement
Back