2020 DL Simeon Barrow Jr | 28 TFLs 15 Sacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
He believes he is the father but not 100% sure yet, he may have unloaded inside of her but he has to follow up with more sources
Snl You Are Not The Father GIF by Saturday Night Live

Advertisement
Where did you see were told Clark were wouldn’t play him at NT? Or are you just extrapolating that from us saying he will have help and won’t have so many doubles to have? Cause that seems untrue to me. When he was right in the only other NT build we’re really have is Moten.
Couple things here from inferring on our portal strategy in the spring, reading tea leaves and hearing little whispers from people a lot closer to the program that I am.

So the big selling point to Clark transferring from a good defensive coach was twofold - one, money. Two, to improve his draft stock and showcase his athleticism. One way you can do that is get him more 1v1 matchups inside.

If any insider wants to refute my point on here, I welcome it and would humbly be wrong. But I’m pretty sure I’m correct here in that we did not expect him to be a true nose for every down. He does have a 3 next to his weight (I think he’s really closer to 295 ish but I digress), but his film shows a very athletic guy for that size. Not true nose behavior to simply eat space inside.

I think in a perfect world, he’s a large body that can get upfield in advantageous situations. Again if I’m wrong, I’ll be perfectly content with that. But what I had heard + how were operating on the portal looking for a big body, a Harmon type that’s 320lbs or more, that also seems to coincide with this take.

If we land Barrow, it’s Clark and Barrow as our starters in a 4-3 with no real NT. Moten will need to sub in on run heavy downs if he’s serviceable.

By far the better option would be to land a true NT starter so we could rotate in both DTs like a hockey side and essentially have 4 starters.

I know Guidry can make do with just Barrow barring injury. But injuries always happen at DT it’s the most violent position to play. We NEED another portal we to be confident we can last the season in addition to Barrow.

There's just nothing there…Can't make it appear. Burroughs could have played that role, Harmon could have but he's headed elsewhere.

I think whether Clark likes it or not, he will be more than adequate nose in this 4-3

Couple things here from inferring on our portal strategy in the spring, reading tea leaves and hearing little whispers from people a lot closer to the program that I am.

So the big selling point to Clark transferring from a good defensive coach was twofold - one, money. Two, to improve his draft stock and showcase his athleticism. One way you can do that is get him more 1v1 matchups inside.

If any insider wants to refute my point on here, I welcome it and would humbly be wrong. But I’m pretty sure I’m correct here in that we did not expect him to be a true nose for every down. He does have a 3 next to his weight (I think he’s really closer to 295 ish but I digress), but his film shows a very athletic guy for that size. Not true nose behavior to simply eat space inside.

I think in a perfect world, he’s a large body that can get upfield in advantageous situations. Again if I’m wrong, I’ll be perfectly content with that. But what I had heard + how were operating on the portal looking for a big body, a Harmon type that’s 320lbs or more, that also seems to coincide with this take.
I believe they do see clark as a 3T who can play NT if need be. He played NT in ncst 3-3-5 and he was asked to mostly just eat up blocks. Here he would be in a 1 gap system

Advertisement
Oh, wow, I was just joking earlier. I'm not sure about housing these days.

I would reach out to @Wake_Cane , I would think he'll know where the upperclassmen and/or grad students tend to live around campus.

I've always enjoyed Gables/Grove/South Miami, but the rents are probably a LOT higher today than they were in the 80s/90s.
Nothing like living in the Grove in college back in the day. That said I’ve never been somewhere and I don’t know what it looks like right now because it’s been a long time, where are you? Literally cross one traffic light and it goes from one of the poorest places. That’s a little bit even scary to drive-through, depending on the day to Ains and outdoor restaurants and shops as dramatically as that one specific intersection, at least used to be.

Can we just get our defensive tackle now please

Watched the Minnesota tape of this guy and all I can say is the options must be as limited as his athletic ability.

Last edited:
I believe they do see clark as a 3T who can play NT if need be. He played NT in ncst 3-3-5 and he was asked to mostly just eat up blocks. Here he would be in a 1 gap system
Yup all true, I just don’t think he prefers the NT. He can do it for sure, but in a perfect world, he lines up next to a bigger body and that presents a ton of problems for opposing OL’s. You’d have a large body that needs extra attention, and then you’d have another large body in Clark that moves like he’s 265 instead of 295/300. He’d feast in that scenario imo, and I think that’s what Mario and company were trying to accomplish when they went after Harmon.

Advertisement
It’s gotta absolutely grind the **** out of these fanbases to see Miami in the mix when we have no business being there

sad woody harrelson GIF
The best part is that every single time they talk about how Miami bought the guy it’s basically now an ad instead of an indictment, but they still think it’s a diss instead of an admission that they are poor

Grad transfers can still enter the portal in perpetuity so I wouldn't rule that out either in the months ahead. Outside of Harmon, there really wasn't a true NT available in the spring cycle.

For now, Barrow is a slight upgrade over JHH, who was going to start with Clark anyways. We'd then have guys like Horton, Cook, Moten, Campbell and Scott sharing backup reps and can also kick Bain/Mesidor insight in certain packages.
That’s a horrible analysis “slight upgrade” vs JHH. The data and film doesn’t back that take.

Advertisement
There is a reason why Texas, and LSU are going after this guy hard. He is a good DT. He produced better than both Deen and Leonard Taylor.

He has almost near identical stats to Deen in 11 less games.
Not even close respectfully. The production of Barrow is light years ahead of what JHH produces. Look at the teams after Barrow compared to JHH,night and day.
Barrow's careers vs the career of last year's starters :

Simeon Barrow- 35 games
110 total tackles 10.5 Sacks

Branson Deen- 37 games
91 tackles, 8 sacks

Leonard Taylor- 25 games
65 tackles , 5 sacks

Production wise we haven't had someone this good in a decade plus at that position.

Gerald Willis III did have insane production one year..

but consistent production? Barrow is durable he will play a TON of snaps and produce.

….so he’s gunna be our NT unless we land one in the portal.

There are different types of NTs, depends on situation and scheme how you use them.

Advertisement
….so he’s gunna be our NT unless we land one in the portal.

There are different types of NTs, depends on situation and scheme how you use them.
100%, Right, depending on how we line up.

But he’s going to have to be the nose pretty much every time unless we land someone bigger OR Moten / Scott step up. Not sure that’s what he envisioned, obviously he can do it but that was not our initial plan. Obviously plans change.

I trust Guidry enough anyways to maximize the DL’s skill sets, and yes he doesn’t need big boys to be successful. I’m just going off what our plan of attack has been in the portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back