2020 DL Simeon Barrow Jr | 28 TFLs 15 Sacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Above average run defender, graded well there in a conference known to pound the rock. Heavier than JHH but is still a 3T that may be forced to play 0-1 here due to our lack of big bodies. Clark is heavier, but when Clark was brought here the whole deal was he wouldn’t have to play NT like he did for NCST in their whacky 3-3-5 and he would be able to penetrate and get up field more playing 3T so interested to see who they put at NT if Barrow does indeed come.

In a perfect world, Barrow is in your 2 deep but we are pretty desperate and lacking veteran depth so he will probably start alongside Clark if I had to bet.

PS - *whispers “we still need another DT, preferably a NT type*
There’s a kid named Danny Saili that OU and BYU had that would fit the bill as a NT. So would Ben Roberts. Just don’t know much of the Saili kid.

Advertisement
There’s a kid named Danny Saili that OU and BYU had that would fit the bill as a NT. So would Ben Roberts. Just don’t know much of the Saili kid.

The Roberts kid should be someone we take, IMO. Young and has years to play, expected to have a big role for UO in the fall, and has the size we need. We are scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point but it is what it is. I doubt we do it though.

Advertisement
Barrow is a upgrade over JHH, not huge upgrade, but good enough upgrade that we should be happy. JHH might have more upside, but if we're talking upside by year 5 for JHH it's just more likely he will never reach his maximum. Barrow has been more productive.

As I said even when we had JHH tho, we still need a big fella. So swapping Barrow for JHH is a nice move, but still need another one.

Haven't been following this guy so basing comment on 247 ranking. Is he a stud? Harmon his teammate is rated much higher and the two portal DT's we have are rated higher. Great to have another body and we probably need another DT...
He was Mich St. best player last year according to some Mich St writers. I'll try to find the article.

As a grad student, UM is giving him a stipend ot live off campus.
Where would you recommend he look for proximity and safety?
My son lived in Gable Ponce. On the high end. At counter of Le Jeune and Ponce across from Havana Harry's. My son said Lifetime. It is new. He said there is a Trader Joe's underneath. 1 minute drive to campus. Tons of pretty girls, too.

Barrow is a upgrade over JHH, not huge upgrade, but good enough upgrade that we should be happy. JHH might have more upside, but if we're talking upside by year 5 for JHH it's just more likely he will never reach his maximum. Barrow has been more productive.

As I said even when we had JHH tho, we still need a big fella. So swapping Barrow for JHH is a nice move, but still need another one.
I pretty much agree with you. I might have him slightly more of an upgrade than you, but we do still need a true nose. We sold Clark on the ability he wouldn’t have to be a nose guy, and that he’d have some size to play alongside so he wouldn’t have to simply eat doubles and could show off his athleticism more.

Nonetheless, we’d be in an alarming position if we didn’t land Barrow…so at this point, beggars can’t be choosers.

I’m not sure what other realistic options are out there, but if we’re done at DL…somebody better step up. And that someone, preferably, is Moten. He’s the body type we’re trying to find in the portal, it’s Year 3 here. If he ain’t ready by the fall, he’ll never be.

Advertisement

Clark is 305, with Barrow and Cook around 295. I think Justin Scott is our biggest DT around 310-315, so it will be interesting to see if he's ready to contribute early in the season. I personally don't care if we land a 320 pound guy unless he is good.

Clark is 305, with Barrow and Cook around 295. I think Justin Scott is our biggest DT around 310-315, so it will be interesting to see if he's ready to contribute early in the season. I personally don't care if we land a 320 pound guy unless he is good.
Moten, 325.

It’s time for him to seize a role in the two deep.

Advertisement

CJ Clark for LT and Barrow for JHH isn’t bad

Didn’t miss CJ Clark getting injured? Did he leave the program? No one is mentioning him and he’s light years better than Cook

Advertisement
Didn’t miss CJ Clark getting injured? Did he leave the program? No one is mentioning him and he’s light years better than Cook
If we land Barrow, it’s Clark and Barrow as our starters in a 4-3 with no real NT. Moten will need to sub in on run heavy downs if he’s serviceable.

By far the better option would be to land a true NT starter so we could rotate in both DTs like a hockey side and essentially have 4 starters.

I know Guidry can make do with just Barrow barring injury. But injuries always happen at DT it’s the most violent position to play. We NEED another portal we to be confident we can last the season in addition to Barrow.

Yes and that's kind of my point about not landing another big body unless they're good. Moten or Scott should be able to fill the role of a rotational 320 pound lineman

I understand this sentiment. It’s most likely outcome and could even work out. But its not optimal for a playoff run. Let’s hope a one and done quality NT hits the portal still, maybe as a GT after school is out.

I would consider it a huge upgrade as JHH only showed up in spurts. This guy up to this point has been consistent and considered to be one of the best players on defense even with Harmon there. Harmon just has him beat on size.

I pretty much agree with you. I might have him slightly more of an upgrade than you, but we do still need a true nose. We sold Clark on the ability he wouldn’t have to be a nose guy, and that he’d have some size to play alongside so he wouldn’t have to simply eat doubles and could show off his athleticism more.

Nonetheless, we’d be in an alarming position if we didn’t land Barrow…so at this point, beggars can’t be choosers.

I’m not sure what other realistic options are out there, but if we’re done at DL…somebody better step up. And that someone, preferably, is Moten. He’s the body type we’re trying to find in the portal, it’s Year 3 here. If he ain’t ready by the fall, he’ll never be.
Where did you see were told Clark were wouldn’t play him at NT? Or are you just extrapolating that from us saying he will have help and won’t have so many doubles to have? Cause that seems untrue to me. When he was right in the only other NT build we’re really have is Moten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back