2020 DL Roberts nabs UM offer at Underclassman Day, talks Canes

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Columbus defensive lineman Elijah Roberts is only just finishing his sophomore year of high school, and, at first, recruiting had been slow for him. That was until Roberts made the short trip to Coral Gables for Miami’s Underclassman Day this past weekend, capping the trip by receiving his first scholarship offer, from none other than the Miami Hurricanes.

“It felt really good, it was a huge honor,” Roberts said on gaining a Cane offer.

Miami’s Underclassman Day featured over 50 prospects mostly from the South Florida area, and Roberts was able to make the trip to campus for the first time and get to know the coaches better.

“The facility and campus was very nice and the coaches were very relatable,” Roberts said. “They seemed like coaches I can play for and learn from.”

One of those coaches he was able to get more comfortable with is new Miami D-Line coach Jess Simpson, who made the offer to Roberts, and Roberts feels he’s a coach he could see himself playing for in the future.

“The coaches were passionate about brotherhood and very religious and those are things I believe in,” Roberts said. “I especially like coach Simpson, the way he coaches is very intense and very aggressive and I believe that’s a great way to coach.”

Measuring in at 6’4” 248 right now, the sophomore Roberts is already bigger than a lot of senior defensive ends. With two years left in high school to grow into his body, it is plausible that he could develop into a defensive tackle. So, is Miami recruiting him on the outside or the inside?

“I haven’t discussed that with them yet but, I’m playing outside right now and hopefully I can play it at the next level,” Roberts said. “But, I’ll play whatever they ask for me to play.”

Before his Miami visit, Roberts completed a tour of many of the Florida D-I programs. However, he says that those will be his last trips for the spring until the summer time.

“Not right now,” Roberts said if he was planning upcoming visits. “But, I just came from visiting FSU, UF, and USF this past week.”

Roberts is coming off an impressive performance at the Under Armor All-America Miami camp a few weeks back, winning the UA Big Man Challenge in a loaded field. He was also my top defensive performer at the event, showing off an array of pass rushing moves, and using some brute strength to get past his blocker.

“It was good to get the acknowledgement from Under Armour knowing that there were lots of other good talent out there at D-Line,” Roberts said.

So, what is Roberts most excited about going into his junior year at Columbus?

“Just looking forward to competing against the best and being better than what I was last year.”

Advertisement
This kid will only get better, Miami needs to make this kid a priority for the 2020' class.. #1 DLineman
They offered the kid 2 years before he graduates. Is that not an indication they are prioritizing him. Should they call him very night and go "no you hang up first" No...............

They offered the kid 2 years before he graduates. Is that not an indication they are prioritizing him. Should they call him very night and go "no you hang up first" No...............
Not really.. Prioritizing a recruit is too offer today and keep contact with him, some recruits get offer 2 years from graduation and don't get much love after that!! Why you on my case, I'm just saying we need to stay on this kid and make him a top target..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back