2020 DB Joseph talks Canes

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
It’s still early in the process, but 2020 Monsignor Pace DB Jaheem Joseph has already picked up a few offers from Louisville, FAU, Marshall, and Syracuse. One he’s still waiting on, however, is the hometown Miami Hurricanes. Joseph has begun developing a relationship with the UM staff and has visited campus for both Underclassman Day and the spring game.

“It was a great experience getting in contact with the coaches again,” Joseph said of his Miami spring game experience. “I like how the defense was flying around the field. The whole unit was playing fast and physical. You could see the teaching from the coaches reflecting off the team.”

It was Joseph’s performance at last year’s Paradise Camp that caught the attention of the staff and Joseph has been building a relationship with the Canes’ DB coaches ever since.

“I’ve established a relationship with coach Banda and coach Rumph,” Joseph said. “It all started last summer. I participated in the Paradise camp and I impressed Coach Banda and he asked what school I attended. During the season, I was invited to attend the Syracuse game as a recruit. After the Syracuse game, I went to several others and spoke to Coach Banda and Coach Rumph at the games.”

So, just what is it about the Canes that is drawing him to Coral Gables?

“Growing up, I just fell in love with the University of Miami,” said Joseph. “I have always dreamed of playing with that “U” on the side of my helmet. My parents used to always take me to the games when they played in the Orange Bowl. Now that I have the opportunity to potentially play as a Hurricane is surreal. I would love to take more visits to see the campus, watch practice, and speak with the coaches once again.”

And if the Canes did pull the trigger on an offer?

“Culture, academics, the swag of playing with that orange and green. It’s close to home and my family, and it is my dream to play for Miami.”

In terms of other schools vying for his commitment, Joseph claims no leaders or top groups, and is open to being recruited by whoever shows interest in bringing on his abilities.

“No, currently I don’t have a top group,” Joseph said. “I am open to any school that would want me to attend their university. Right now, the only school that is recruiting me really hard is Syracuse, which was my first offer.”

In his first season playing corner for Monsignor Pace, Joseph was a standout, recording 4 PBU, 54 Tackles, 6 TFL, 2 forced fumbles, and 4 receptions allowed. He looks to take his game to new heights as a junior next season.

“Sophomore season was a very good year and just a stepping stone for me,” Joseph said. “It was my first year playing DB for the whole season and I learned a lot. As a team, we shocked a lot of people because of how many talented upperclassmen transferred out. We made it to Regional finals and lost by 3 to University School. But I have a lot of things to improve on so I could have an even better junior campaign.”

The 5’10”, 175 pound defensive back has no timetable for his decision and believes the time will be right when he develops a true connection with one coaching staff.

“I have no timetable,” Joseph said. “I don’t I feel like I have really created a bond with any coaching staff that would make me want to make a decision yet.”

When he finally does make that decision, the school that will land Joseph will offer him both a comfortable environment as well as a life outside of the game.

“I would like to go to a university in a city that I could also have a career outside of football,” Joseph said. “A school that feels like a home away from home. A school where I can grow as an athlete and also as a man. A school where I could be successful as a football player and also baseball player. Not many people know that I also have a passion for baseball.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back