2019 Wekiva DT Tyler Davis talks recruiting

View as article

ErickMarreroU

Staff Writer
Premium
Wekiva 4-star DT Tyler Davis is on quite a streak right now. He won the overall MVP award at the inaugural Legends Showcase Junior All-Star Game back in December, recording five tackles, two sacks, and even an interception in the contest. Then, just a few weeks back, Davis followed that up by taking home the defensive line MVP at the Opening Miami Regional. Even so, Davis is always looking for ways to up his play.

“I want to improve my hips, more explosive, get faster, and more violent hands,” Davis said.

Davis’ recent performances are just confirmation of what many already knew: he’s one of the best D-Linemen in America for the class of 2019. Many top programs have been on him for a while now, and that includes the Miami Hurricanes. Davis visited the Coral Gables campus 2 years ago and plans to return shortly.

“I went there my freshman year (of HS),” Davis said. “(The coaches) always ask when I’m coming back down there, I think they just want to talk to me in person. They seem like a great staff. I always love the ‘Turnover Chain’ and it’s a great atmosphere at Miami.”

Ohio State and Florida have been something of an unofficial top 2 for Davis, but is there a chance the Canes could make that a top 3?

“Always,” Davis said. “Because, you know, I love the coaches, the 30-for-30’s, I’ve watched all of them. They got a new swag to them now.”

Ohio State came down to meet with Davis this spring and is showing him he’s a priority by bringing along the head honcho to meet with Davis.

“They’ll always be a top school,” Davis said of the Buckeyes. “They’ve visited me about three times, and one time they brought coach Urban Meyer. They’ve always been on me, I love the attention they bring me. It feels like family to me.”

Florida is the local school and have been a long-time favorite of Davis’. The Wekiva product began to get to know new head coach Dan Mullen and his staff about a month ago when he went to Gainesville on an unofficial visit.

“They were my first big offer, but they have a new staff, I’m just trying to get to know them better,” Davis said of the Gators. “They’re close (to home), it feels like family. You know, it’s ‘The Swamp’. They’ve got good coaches and they’re trying to bring it back for real.”

The other future visits that are on tap for Davis right now will have a northern feel when he trips to two Big Ten powerhouses.

“Michigan, because the D-Line coach (Greg) Mattison has always been on me,” Davis said. “Also, Penn State, coach (Sean) Spencer has been on me.”

Davis has a decision timetable in mind and wants to make his college announcement before his senior year to focus on his team’s goals.

“Probably like, end of the summer, before the beginning of the season.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Former Gaytor Keiwan Ratliff who coaches Rat pack 7v7 in Orlando trains & coaches this kid.

Oh St & UF are out in front on this one, will be a difficult pull for Coach Simpson, but he's a kid you have to continue to recruit til the very end.

Last edited:
Let's get him down for a visit and hopefully he comes for The Paradise Camp!! With this kid, it's all about recruiting him and talking to him and seeing where Miami stand, now after a few visits and talks, IF he's not showing much interest, then we need to move on!! BUT the thing is, Miami has to go after him and show him that he's definitely a top priority and see what happen's!!

Advertisement
Would be an amazing 3T for us but yes I agree we are behind the 8ball right now. Get him on campus and continue to recruit him.

Advertisement
It is funny how 2019 DT Tyler Davis seemed way more Pro Miami in the interview he did with Miami Diehards, a few weeks back. This will be a good test for Coach Simspon going up against Urban Liar

https://www.diehards.com/miami/tyler-davis-miami-recruiting-visit

In-state 4-star DT Tyler Davis sees himself as perfect fit for Miami

MIAMI — At first glance, it’s easy to see why Tyler Davis potentially could get overlooked. The 4-star defensive tackle is only 6-foot-2 and 280 pounds — a few inches and a couple of dozen pounds shy of ideal size for his position in a 4-3 defense. He doesn’t have the length you’d expect for an elite defensive end or the girth to play nose tackle in a 3-4 defense.

It ultimately could bring him to Miami, which offered the rising senior on Jan. 18. The defensive lineman’s frame isn’t far off from 4-star defensive tackle Nesta Silvera, who signed with the Hurricanes on Feb. 7, and he sees himself as a 4-3 defensive tackle at the next level.

“I feel like I fit well in that defense. Turnover chain. I like that,” Davis told DieHards on Sunday. “4-3.”

After Sunday, it’s impossible to doubt Davis because of his size. The No. 15 prospect at his position in the 247Sports composite rankings, Davis earned defensive line MVP honors at The Opening Miami regional at Gibson Park. With bull rushes outlawed, Davis used his leverage and surprising quickness to torment the crop of elite guards on the field in Miami.

The Hurricanes took advantage of Davis’ weekend in the Miami metropolitan area, too. Davis stopped by Coral Gables, Fla., for an unofficial visit after he wrapped up at The Opening. The Hurricanes had a chance to make up some ground on Florida and Ohio State, two programs Davis has mentioned as major early suitors.

Defensive line — and particularly defensive tackle — is sure to become a priority for Miami in the Class of 2019. The Hurricanes struggled to land elite interior defensive linemen in the Class of 2018 and only have one true defensive tackle — 3-star prospect Denzel Daxon — committed for 2019. Without many other major targets lined up, Miami is ready to start making Davis a priority.

‘They like my size,” said Davis, who primarily plays as a nose guard. “They like my explosion.”

Davis isn’t alone as a major Hurricanes target from Wekiva High School in Apopka, Fla. A group of Miami coaches, headed by safeties coach Ephraim Banda, made the rounds at Wekiva in January. They offered Davis and three teammates the same day. The Hurricanes sent additional offers to 4-star cornerback Renardo Green, 3-star weakside defensive end Rian Davis and 3-star strongside defensive end Norell Pollard.

While Davis and Pollard might be a better fit in 3-4 defenses — and the Gators are a clear favorite for Pollard — Green should be a major target for cornerback-needy Miami. The four Mustangs have toyed with the idea of playing together, too. The Hurricanes are one of the teams offering them the opportunity.

“They offered all my teammates,” Tyler Davis said. “We kind of joke about all going there and making a new U.”

Last edited:
Advertisement
this is one of the stupidest write-ups from this knucklehead .... and that's saying something.

next!

Wekiva 4-star DT Tyler Davis is on quite a streak right now. He won the overall MVP award at the inaugural Legends Showcase Junior All-Star Game back in December, recording five tackles, two sacks, and even an interception in the contest. Then, just a few weeks back, Davis followed that up by taking home the defensive line MVP at the Opening Miami Regional. Even so, Davis is always looking for ways to up his play.

“I want to improve my hips, more explosive, get faster, and more violent hands,” Davis said.

Davis’ recent performances are just confirmation of what many already knew: he’s one of the best D-Linemen in America for the class of 2019. Many top programs have been on him for a while now, and that includes the Miami Hurricanes. Davis visited the Coral Gables campus 2 years ago and plans to return shortly.

“I went there my freshman year (of HS),” Davis said. “(The coaches) always ask when I’m coming back down there, I think they just want to talk to me in person. They seem like a great staff. I always love the ‘Turnover Chain’ and it’s a great atmosphere at Miami.”

Ohio State and Florida have been something of an unofficial top 2 for Davis, but is there a chance the Canes could make that a top 3?

“Always,” Davis said. “Because, you know, I love the coaches, the 30-for-30’s, I’ve watched all of them. They got a new swag to them now.”

Ohio State came down to meet with Davis this spring and is showing him he’s a priority by bringing along the head honcho to meet with Davis.

“They’ll always be a top school,” Davis said of the Buckeyes. “They’ve visited me about three times, and one time they brought coach Urban Meyer. They’ve always been on me, I love the attention they bring me. It feels like family to me.”

Florida is the local school and have been a long-time favorite of Davis’. The Wekiva product began to get to know new head coach Dan Mullen and his staff about a month ago when he went to Gainesville on an unofficial visit.

“They were my first big offer, but they have a new staff, I’m just trying to get to know them better,” Davis said of the Gators. “They’re close (to home), it feels like family. You know, it’s ‘The Swamp’. They’ve got good coaches and they’re trying to bring it back for real.”

The other future visits that are on tap for Davis right now will have a northern feel when he trips to two Big Ten powerhouses.

“Michigan, because the D-Line coach (Greg) Mattison has always been on me,” Davis said. “Also, Penn State, coach (Sean) Spencer has been on me.”

Davis has a decision timetable in mind and wants to make his college announcement before his senior year to focus on his team’s goals.

“Probably like, end of the summer, before the beginning of the season.”

Erick what about his teammate Pollard listed at 6-2/265 as a DE but U looking at him as a potential DT who will be visiting here in the spring also with his teammates?
http://www.hudl.com/profile/7660327/Norell-Pollard

I think Miami is in good shape with this kid, it's just about RECRUITING and our staff will just have to put in the time and make this kid feel wanted!! I really believe Miami is in good shape, it's all about getting him on campus and making him feel wanted..

Advertisement
Back