2019 Spring Preview: LB

WLB - Michael Pinckney/ Waynmon Steed/ Sam Brooks

MLB - Shaquille Quarterman/ BJ Jennings

SLB - Zach McCloud/ Patrick Joyner/ Avery Huff

Striker - Romeo Finley/ Gilbert Frierson

DeAndre Wilder can play both Sam backer & Striker if he ever comes back healthy.

I'm also curious to see if Diaz/Baker like Joyner at Mike or Strong side.

Joyner is still listed as a DL on the rooster FWIW.

Of course, that could all change with Rousseau, Harvey, Hill, Phillips, Williams set to enter the mix.

It's a conundrum because with our top 4 LBs set to leave after 2019 it makes sense for Joyner to play LB, but he might see the field quicker as a DE.

Last edited:
Advertisement
LB were average last yr and got their **** pushed-in backward by Wisconsin to end the season.

Unpopular opinion: Mike Smith was our best LB.

Fight me.

Not even close...Mike Smith finally plays decent once in his career and you guys start throwing stuff like this around.

He did look better after that LSU debacle, I'll give him that, esp against the run. He was not our best LB. Both can exist. C'mon macho

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Love Gil at Striker. He was never cut out to be a CB at this level. He can be a phenomenal Striker though.

Also wouldn’t be shocked to see McCloud take over Smith’s backup role to Shaq and Pinckney.

Advertisement
Won't be surprised to see McCloud as the backup at all three LB positions.

There's no use in subbing Frierson for Finley unless it's a blowout, but McCloud still played next to Shaq and Pinkney in every game when teams went with heavier sets, and sometimes even when they'd have 3 or more WRs on the field.

The three amigos are back. I'm not sold on the depth but the starters will be a the very least soild to good. After they're gone I wonder about the position. I do believe Huff and Brooks will be special but they need to add size and strength.

No disrespect to Mike Smith (solid finish to his career) but if our biggest question mark at the spot is “how do we replace Mike Smith?” We are doing pretty **** good

Frierson is an exciting move

Advertisement
Back