2019 sofla free agency thread

DE/TE Claude Larkins transferred from Piper to Chaminade
and WR De'mon Henry transferred from South Broward to Chaminade

Advertisement
Coach Dame Jones is a beast, I think he's a Canes fan too so we should be getting more Nade boys in the next couple classes.
Is he a really good coach or is he really good at assembling talent? I'm genuinely curious. I know he's gotten loads of talent to Chaminade but when you have those teams, how hard is it to out-talent someone in 3A? Maybe he is a really good coach, but I'm a bit skeptical.

Is he a really good coach or is he really good at assembling talent? I'm genuinely curious. I know he's gotten loads of talent to Chaminade but when you have those teams, how hard is it to out-talent someone in 3A? Maybe he is a really good coach, but I'm a bit skeptical.

from what I know he is the bolded part of your post.

Advertisement
These kids realize STA can only play 11 kids at one time right?

I'd like to personally thank my local public school coaches for helping make me the great player I am today but I would like to announce my decision to transfer to St. Thomas Aquinas high school were I will promptly be left on the bench and miss out on a possible scholarship.
#respectmydecision #raiderboiiiiizzzzz #frontrunner4lyfe

These kids realize STA can only play 11 kids at one time right?

I'd like to personally thank my local public school coaches for helping make me the great player I am today but I would like to announce my decision to transfer to St. Thomas Aquinas high school were I will promptly be left on the bench and miss out on a possible scholarship.
#respectmydecision #raiderboiiiiizzzzz #frontrunner4lyfe
It's actually the opposite. Most of STA's seniors sign with college teams. You got kids getting DIII scholarships who played less then 100 snaps all season. STA gets kids noticed. A lot of these kids transfer in knowing that they will be sitting on the bench their senior year in exchange for getting a scholarship they likely would never have gotten if they stayed at their small school schools don't visit.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He'll be showing up soon.

Some of these kids transfer just for the name..alot of the transfers to sta aren't needed. But they haven't won in 2 years..thats a long time for them.

Not sure why AH has lost a few though..They still have good young talent. Garcia leaving is big for them and Hypollite that's like all of their lb core gone.

I don’t get it. If you already have offers just continue to develop where you are at. The kid from Hallandale already had p5 offers. He didn’t need to transfer to a private school.

Advertisement
It's actually the opposite. Most of STA's seniors sign with college teams. You got kids getting DIII scholarships who played less then 100 snaps all season. STA gets kids noticed. A lot of these kids transfer in knowing that they will be sitting on the bench their senior year in exchange for getting a scholarship they likely would never have gotten if they stayed at their small school schools don't visit.
This is a common misconception. Kids who can play get attention, regardless of what school they go to. Most are not transfering from "small schools" either. A majority of the public schools that STA poaches athletes from have larger enrollments. A lot of guys who could have played a whole season and had a whole highlight feel to show recruiters, get stuck on the bench with nothing to show for a potential scholarship offer. Getting a DIII offer is pretty much worthless since there is no DIII school in Florida. Whatever minor scholarship you'd receive wouldn't come close to offsetting the added costs of paying out of state tuition. Maybe for the wealthy kids who's parents are actually paying for them to attend STA, that matters. But the kids they're poaching aren't trying to get DIII offers.

All of college football knows there's a ton of talent here. They don't need St. Thomas to "get noticed".

Fckin announcements for high school transfers now, Jesus Christ.

Soon middle schoolers will be announcing what high school they’re choosing after Optimist

Already happened. I think Amari Daniels, Nayquan Wright, and a couple others did it.

Advertisement
This is a common misconception. Kids who can play get attention, regardless of what school they go to. Most are not transfering from "small schools" either. A majority of the public schools that STA poaches athletes from have larger enrollments. A lot of guys who could have played a whole season and had a whole highlight feel to show recruiters, get stuck on the bench with nothing to show for a potential scholarship offer. Getting a DIII offer is pretty much worthless since there is no DIII school in Florida. Whatever minor scholarship you'd receive wouldn't come close to offsetting the added costs of paying out of state tuition. Maybe for the wealthy kids who's parents are actually paying for them to attend STA, that matters. But the kids they're poaching aren't trying to get DIII offers.

All of college football knows there's a ton of talent here. They don't need St. Thomas to "get noticed".
We aren't talking about the kids with DI hopes. We are talking about the kids who are one of the better players on their mediocre teams that colleges never visit. most of the kids that come to ride the bench aren't being poached. They are asking for a spot because they haven't heard a thing from schools yet and they know they got a better chance of getting noticed during a practice at STA then in a game at their school. There is a reason STA always has 20+ seniors signing on NSD and at least 7 of them have less then 100 snaps on the season.

We aren't talking about the kids with DI hopes. We are talking about the kids who are one of the better players on their mediocre teams that colleges never visit. most of the kids that come to ride the bench aren't being poached. They are asking for a spot because they haven't heard a thing from schools yet and they know they got a better chance of getting noticed during a practice at STA then in a game at their school. There is a reason STA always has 20+ seniors signing on NSD and at least 7 of them have less then 100 snaps on the season.

How out of the loop do you think college recruiters are? Do you think there are kids putting up numbers on "mediocre teams" that just completely get ignored? Maybe 25 years ago that might have been the case but these days, you don't have to rely solely on your coaches' college connections to get a school to pay attention. Do you think recruiters wouldn't know anything about a guy who was tearing it up at Dillard, Piper, or Coconut Creek? STA always has a ton of seniors signing because they always recruit the best players. Those guys playing under 100 snaps aren't signing with FBS or FCS schools. Unless they were injured and have a bunch of tape from previous seasons where they played a lot. The "exposure" myth has hurt a bunch of kids who might have had a chance at a G5 or FCS offer but ended up stuck on the bench behind an All American type kid. It's not just STA. All the private schools who recruit players do this. It's the coaching staff's job to get as many star players and win as many games as possible. For a sure fire, 4 star type player, it doesn't matter because you'll get plenty of snaps. But some borderline 2 start type could easily get buried at the end of the bench.

Advertisement
Back