2019 recruiting

Advertisement
I'd be happy if we can get a couple good grad xsfers (at least one physical big). I consider Beverly and Enaruna longshots. Regardless, esxperienced grad xsfers might well be more immediate contributors anyway.

That would be a very good class.

Assuming Willie is taken off scholarship next year and nobody transfers. Don’t we have 2 more spots?

1. DJ
  2. Lykes
  3. Kam
  4. Sam
  5. Deng
  6. Mack
  7. Miller
  8. Wong
  9. Walker II
  10. Beverly (if he comes)
  11. Enaruna (if he comes)

Yes. NCAA rules allows 13 scholarship players. I would go with a grad transfer big and a grad transfer wing to fill out the last two scholarships. Of course, we are hoping Kam does not get kicked off the team in October.

Miami really needs 13 scholarship basketball players on the roster when they take the trip to Italy in August 2019 for four games and 10 practices. That will help the freshman and transfers get up to speed and earn a spot in the rotation.

If not, extreme worse case scenario. I could see Larannaga giving those last two scholarships to Willie Herenton and Dominic Proctor.

Last edited:

Enaruna update.

Enaruna told Rivals.com that Creighton, Kansas and Miami are three of the programs that are most often in touch with him,

The Blue Jays have been recruiting Enaruna for the longest, but Kansas and Miami’s offer earlier this year, along with their continued pursuit of him, have made an impression.

The coaching staff seems to be working hard to improve the talent on the roster. All their hard work will pay off soon enough.

Advertisement
Miami really needs 13 scholarship basketball players on the roster when they take the trip to Italy in August 2019 for four games and 10 practices. That will help the freshman and transfers get up to speed and earn a spot in the rotation.

We're 100% on the same page. Also, Miller is still on scholarship. There is no evidence that he will EVER contribute meaning burn here. In fact, he was already surpassed by a younger class player (Gak) who is still drastically undersized.

If not, extreme worse case scenario. I could see Larannaga giving those last two scholarships to Willie Herenton and Dominic Proctor.

Yup. That would be the equivalent of using 11 because neither of them will likely contribute any meaningful burn. In addition, Miller is still on scholarship and Mack doesn't look ready to contribute. I think a fair argument could be made (if the above happens) that 2-4 scholarships would be wasted.

Starting next season, I would not be shocked if Kam and/or any 2019 HS kid would be ahead of Mack. Also, Mack is 2 years removed from HS at this point. Yes, he sat out last season but...he just looks lost.

Upon further review,

Let's wait until after May to fill out the last two roster spots (scholarships). In May, the grad transfer market will be fully established and the NBA deadline will have passed. Also, coaches will have been fired and committed players will want out of their NLIs. So having two available scholarships is a huge advantage right now.

The main focus is securing commitments from Harlond Beverly and Tristan Enaruna.

We're 100% on the same page. Also, Miller is still on scholarship. There is no evidence that he will EVER contribute meaning burn here. In fact, he was already surpassed by a younger class player (Gak) who is still drastically undersized.

Yup. That would be the equivalent of using 11 because neither of them will likely contribute any meaningful burn. In addition, Miller is still on scholarship and Mack doesn't look ready to contribute. I think a fair argument could be made (if the above happens) that 2-4 scholarships would be wasted.

Starting next season, I would not be shocked if Kam and/or any 2019 HS kid would be ahead of Mack. Also, Mack is 2 years removed from HS at this point. Yes, he sat out last season but...he just looks lost.

Agree on all points

Advertisement

Tristan Enaruna, SF, Netherlands:
The light has been flickering for Enaruna as a prospect throughout his senior season at Mount Pleasant (Utah) Wasatch Academy. It went from flickering to on at Basketball Without Borders this past weekend. Enaruna, who came to the United States from the Netherlands midway through last season, has always had the physical tools, standing 6-foot-8 and possessing fine length and good athleticism, but his game and confidence are advancing. At BWB, Enaruna played with purpose, knocked down long-range shots with ease and showed off an impressive feel and IQ for the game. Enaruna has the versatility to play as a wing or a face up four in college. Oozing with potential, Enaruna’s best days are ahead of him and with added strength he’ll evaluate further as a prospect.
Recruiting: Creighton, Kansas, Miami, Duke, Kentucky

nc55j7qvulblcvhrtram

TRISTAN
ENARUNA

6'7" | 205 LBS | SF
WASATCH ACADEMY
MOUNT PLEASANT, UT
CLASS OF 2019
UNDECIDED

It was the best that we have seen Tristan Enaruna play to date as he looked like a legitimate NBA Draft target while competing against some of the most touted international prospects. Enaruna sports a great frame that he should fill out and while he has been knocked for his toughness in the past, he did show the capacity to play through contact and take the bump before finishing at the basket.

Eraruna remains at his best as an ambidextrous playmaker in the frontcourt that can throw precise passes on the go and also convert on nifty off-handed runners in the lane. What put things over the top was his consistent perimeter jumper that we had never seen before. He was one of the biggest stock boosters in Charlotte. The Netherlands native is currently hearing the most from Creighton, Kansas, Miami, Texas and Texas Tech.

Landing Harlond Beverly and Tristan Enaruna to add to Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker would be a good recruiting class. The Canes would still need to add a grad transfer big to complete the 13 man roster.

With the Canes playing in Italy in August, I don't think Gak will be cleared to play at that time. That will give fans a good idea of what the team will look like in next season.

He should be cleared by then (Kaplan's ACL rehab plan is 6 months, ask me how I know), question is will he be game ready by then.

Advertisement

A day after setting an unofficial visit to Indiana, four-star prospect Harlond Beverly has scheduled his first official visit. Beverly now is set to visit ACC Country, and it is to a school that has really picked up the interest in him over the past several months.

"I will be making an official visit to Miami on March 15," Beverly told 247Sports.

Good news on Tristan (for us) is that he may still be a Plan B recruit for KU, UK and Duke. Hopefully, they all get the higher-regarded recruits they are after and it comes down to Creighton and us. He'd certainly see earlier and more playing time if that were the case.

Advertisement
Good news on Tristan (for us) is that he may still be a Plan B recruit for KU, UK and Duke. Hopefully, they all get the higher-regarded recruits they are after and it comes down to Creighton and us. He'd certainly see earlier and more playing time if that were the case.

Good point. You beat me to posting that as those schools have not offered him a scholarship. Lester Quinones is in a similiar situation with a few of his schools in his final 7.

I am not sure how a school could make your final list without offering you a scholarship. If a school has not offered you a scholarship by now then they are not really serious about having you on the team. That means you are a plan B at best.

Think a kid having a school on his final list without a scholly offer is just a way of their trying to get on the school's "good side." That is, those schools have more than just a few backup candidates, so there's competition among those secondary prospects for if/when a need arises.

I remember two years ago, Duke signed Jordan Tucker as their "plan B" if Kevin Knox signed with Kentucky. Kevin Knox signed with Kentucky and Jordan Tucker spent one semester at Duke and transferred to Butler due to playing time.

IMO, when you are a "plan b", you are not really wanted.

Advertisement
Back