2019 recruiting

Advertisement
Think about this. In 27 years as a highly respected and winning Head Coach, John Beilein (currently coaching highly ranked Michigan) has NEVER recruited a McDonald's HSAA player. Not one.

If anyone can explain to me why we waited until December 11 to offer this guy, I'd love to hear it.

I read he was a late riser and he also played on a non-shoe sponsored team. In fairness, recruiting starts early and the staff has been focused on Isaiah Wong, CJ Walker and Vernon Carey Jr for the past three years as the building blocks to the 2019 recruiting class. I think Harlond would be a good additon to the team if he commits.

Canes basketball recruiting is pretty depressing right now. The FBI crap is over, why are we still struggling to fill our roster with solid prospects? By my count, and assuming no attrition (and that Hernandez leaves), we still have FOUR open scholarships for next season. Yikes.

Advertisement
I read he was a late riser and he also played on a non-shoe sponsored team. In fairness, recruiting starts early and the staff has been focused on Isaiah Wong, CJ Walker and Vernon Carey Jr for the past three years as the building blocks to the 2019 recruiting class. I think Harlond would be a good additon to the team if he commits.
Is that really important? Please tell me it isn't!

Is that really important? Please tell me it isn't!

I don't think it is important but it is what I read. It is in one of the articles I posted. Actually, it is somewhat because during live periods, college coaches normally go where players they are following are and most of them are on shoe sponsored teams.
I am not saying it is right. I am saying it is what it is.

I don't think it is important but it is what I read. It is in one of the articles I posted. Actually, it is somewhat because during live periods, college coaches normally go where players they are following are and most of them are on shoe sponsored teams.
I am not saying it is right. I am saying it is what it is.
I understand. Knew you were just quoting.

The FBI stuff really derailed recruitment. Of course, Jalen Carey is buried on the Cuse depth chart now; imagine if he picked us.

Still thought we would have had a good shot with CJ Walker this year. He ended up going to Oregon with almost an identical player in Chandler Lawson.

Many of us have called out roster management on here, too much failure to meet team expectations and too many open slots. Don’t really see the harm in getting some grad transfers to fill in the blanks.

Not saying we get every 4/5 star guy, but we’ve whiffed on guys after enjoying good classes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The FBI stuff really derailed recruitment. Of course, Jalen Carey is buried on the Cuse depth chart now; imagine if he picked us.

Still thought we would have had a good shot with CJ Walker this year. He ended up going to Oregon with almost an identical player in Chandler Lawson.

Many of us have called out roster management on here, too much failure to meet team expectations and too many open slots. Don’t really see the harm in getting some grad transfers to fill in the blanks.

Not saying we get every 4/5 star guy, but we’ve whiffed on guys after enjoying good classes.
The harm? Grad xfers and regular xsfers have been the lifeblood of Canes recruiting forever!! McClinton, Larkin, Rodriguez, Kadji, Grant, Sheldon Mac, Kirk, Kamari Murphy, etc etc. HS recruiting has always lagged behind.

hotshot is correct that transfers (regular) has been very important to Miami basketball program over the tenure of Coach Larranaga and before that.
hotshot also made a good point about high school recruiting behind but recruiting kids in the state of Florida is even worse in my opinion.

When I speak of roster management issues like the 2018 recruiting class, I prefer grad transfers over regular transfers. This is my logic behind that statement. Whenever your recruiting class does not work out and you have available scholarships, I would take grad transfers as a short term fix. With a grad transfer, the player does not have to sit out year and the player immediately provides depth to the team. Also, that scholarship is available again for the next recruiting class. I feel a team should always have 10 active guys available to play. Some coaches prefer an 8 man rotation but I woud prefer 10 myself due to the length of the season. That give you 3 scholarships for a red shirt player, injury or regular transfer if that is how you choose to use them. This is just my philosophy.
Chris Mack and Louisville did this and they are now ranked 21st in the country along with a top 5 recruiting class. Louisville was a lot deeper in the FBI investigation than Miami so this is proof this works.
Given how regular transfers have been "dismissed" from the program in October as if it is a normal tradition, I am somewhat suspect on going down that road, until Kam McGusty breaks the trend. I hope he breaks the trend.
I am going to start a thread on roster management looking at the best case and worse case scenario of the basketball team roster next season. I want to keep this thread about 2019 recruiting.

The harm? Grad xfers and regular xsfers have been the lifeblood of Canes recruiting forever!! McClinton, Larkin, Rodriguez, Kadji, Grant, Sheldon Mac, Kirk, Kamari Murphy, etc etc. HS recruiting has always lagged behind.
And trey mcknnie jones

Advertisement
Advertisement

Granted that I have only watched him play one game and the rest were highlights, Harlond Beverly would add some athleticism on the perimeter that this team does not have enough of. His athleticism is not on the level of Bruce Brown or Lonnie Walker but outside of Chris Lykes and Kam McGusty, Miami is not athletic enough on the perimeter.

Hopefully, Miami will add Harlond Beverly and Tristan Enaruana to the 2019 recruiting class. That will improve the roster a lot going into 2019-20. They should add 1 grad transfer big to complete the roster.

Advertisement
Back