2019 recruiting

This 100%. We had 4 scholarships to work with and desperately need bigs. There is no guarantee that Blackshear even leaves VT. This kid made 39 starts in 3 years at a high major program that went to 3 NCAA tourneys and 1 Elite 8. Yes, he's rehabbing from an ACL tear and yes, he may miss a few games to start the year, but I dont see why he's a "meh" take at this juncture.

Blackshear is an actual big man. This is not a player who has a similar game at all. There are also numerous players, skill-wise, in between Blackshear and Stone.

I also like how you almost dismiss the ACL tear completely.

He is a “meh” take because his numbers are “meh” and he is coming off a major surgery. His best numbers were not even last season, before injury. They were two seasons ago.

Why is this a “nice addition”?

Advertisement
Blackshear is an actual big man. This is not a player who has a similar game at all. There are also numerous players, skill-wise, in between Blackshear and Stone.

I also like how you almost dismiss the ACL tear completely.

He is a “meh” take because his numbers are “meh” and he is coming off a major surgery. His best numbers were not even last season, before injury. They were two seasons ago.

Why is this a “nice addition”?
ACL tears aren't career-altering/ending injuries. This isn't 1988.

Advertisement
Some of our idiot, delusional fans just crack me up.

They ***** and moan when not every single one of the 13 scholarships is filled, yet when we take a LOW RISK flier on an experienced guy like Keith Stone, they ***** and moan even louder. Do they expect every single scholarship player to be a top 50 prospect we beat out Michigan state for (like Harlond Beverly)?

While Stone has some glaring holes in his game and is coming off an ACL tear, he has SEC experience, good height and weight (something this roster sorely needs), and he’s a hometown guy. Even after taking him, we still have three scholarships remaining to dish out.

They ***** and moan when not every single one of the 13 scholarships is filled, yet when we take a LOW RISK flier on an experienced guy like Keith Stone, they ***** and moan even louder. Do they expect every single scholarship player to be a top 50 prospect we beat out Michigan state for (like Harlond Beverly)?

While Stone has some glaring holes in his game and is coming off an ACL tear, he has SEC experience, good height and weight (something this roster sorely needs), and he’s a hometown guy. Even after taking him, we still have three scholarships remaining to dish out.
Dude don’t even try to make sense. You’ll get challenged by the same cast of characters though who always think they’re right

Need a true SF

6'5 and under: Lykes, Vasiljevic, McGusty, Beverly, Wong

6"8 and over: Gak, Stone, Walker, Waardenburg, Miller

Advertisement

1. ACL tears are serious injuries. There are plenty of people who recover from them. They're still serious injuries. They still require recovery time.

2. Can you please answer my second point? Here it is again...They're also not typically good things that increase production of players who had a decrease in production (prior to injury).

Perhaps you can explain why his production was going down before his injury. Here is a interesting quote..."Stone had gotten off to a relatively poor start to the 2018-19 season before his injury. He averaged just 6.1 points and 3.9 rebounds per game, losing out on some of his minutes to freshman Keyontae Johnson."

"Though Johnson was signed as a guard and views himself as one, Florida was forced to play him at power forward for much of the season. He did well in Stone's stead, averaging 8.1 points and 6.4 rebounds per game as a true freshman."

Why was a freshman, at 6'5, taking time from him before his injury and having better production last year?

I guess you're talking to me but instead of calling me out, you just make a random porst that is covered with horsechit. So, you're horsechit cracks me up. Maybe you will actually read my post and respond.

1. As to filling the class, yes. It is important that we fill the class. It is important that we bring in players who can actually play at positions of need. It is important that if we're relying on players to play immediately that they can actually play.

2. My concern is that we still have no big men who are proven and can actually play. Ignoring Stone's ACL tear, he is not a traditional big man. He likes to shoot. He likes to shoot 3s. He is not a strong rebounder either. He is 6'8 and his game is similar to Omar Sherman. We have a big man that likes too shoot already. We currently have a player with a game similar to Stone's (Sam). So now we have two players who aren't traditional big men.

I have no problem taking Stone as depth. I think it is early to take filler like Stone. I think we still have time. I have a problem if he is our only eligible big man we take via grad transfer. So we wait on a player to recover from an ACL tear in 2019.

3. Can you explain why Stone was losing his minutes to a 6'5 freshman before his injury? Can you explain why Stone's production regressed so much?

4. Can you please find a post where someone expects the part in bold? Is this just more horsechit you're making up? There is a tremendous gap between EVERY player must be a top 50 prospect and bringing in quality grad transfers at positions of need.

5. Instead of taking Stone, why not take a chance on a low risk big man? Maybe a center who received some inferior coaching, like Dominik Olejniczak who can actually play 15MPG at center.

Are you concerned with the following quote...

Stone had gotten off to a relatively poor start to the 2018-19 season before his injury. He averaged just 6.1 points and 3.9 rebounds per game, losing out on some of his minutes to freshman Keyontae Johnson.

Though Johnson was signed as a guard and views himself as one, Florida was forced to play him at power forward for much of the season. He did well in Stone's stead, averaging 8.1 points and 6.4 rebounds per game as a true freshman.

Again, I have no problem taking Stone at the end as filler. I have a problem with taking him and relying on him as an actual big man. Why not take a "low risk" player who can actually play the center position?

Even with Stone, we only have 5 players taller than 6'5" on next years roster at this point with two of those coming off of injuries, one a true freshman, one a Rodney Miller, and one a Sam Waardenburg. We still need another big man IMHO, and there are only about 7 or 8 true big men left on the grad transfer market.

Need a true SF

6'5 and under: Lykes, Vasiljevic, McGusty, Beverly, Wong

6"8 and over: Gak, Stone, Walker, Waardenburg, Miller

I don’t know what a “true SF”. I do think we need another eligible guard/wing.

When we ran Angel (PG), Sheldon and Reed, that was great. Those guys were 6’5 and under.

Advertisement
Even with Stone, we only have 5 players taller than 6'5" on next years roster at this point with two of those coming off of injuries, one a true freshman, one a Rodney Miller, and one a Sam Waardenburg. We still need another big man IMHO, and there are only about 7 or 8 true big men left on the grad transfer market.

Agreed. Also, Stone isn’t a real big man.

We need someone who can really help us rebound. Look at our stats the last few years.

I guess you're talking to me but instead of calling me out, you just make a random porst that is covered with horsechit. So, you're horsechit cracks me up. Maybe you will actually read my post and respond.

1. As to filling the class, yes. It is important that we fill the class. It is important that we bring in players who can actually play at positions of need. It is important that if we're relying on players to play immediately that they can actually play.

2. My concern is that we still have no big men who are proven and can actually play. Ignoring Stone's ACL tear, he is not a traditional big man. He likes to shoot. He likes to shoot 3s. He is not a strong rebounder either. He is 6'8 and his game is similar to Omar Sherman. We have a big man that likes too shoot already. We currently have a player with a game similar to Stone's (Sam). So now we have two players who aren't traditional big men.

I have no problem taking Stone as depth. I think it is early to take filler like Stone. I think we still have time. I have a problem if he is our only eligible big man we take via grad transfer. So we wait on a player to recover from an ACL tear in 2019.

3. Can you explain why Stone was losing his minutes to a 6'5 freshman before his injury? Can you explain why Stone's production regressed so much?

4. Can you please find a post where someone expects the part in bold? Is this just more horsechit you're making up? There is a tremendous gap between EVERY player must be a top 50 prospect and bringing in quality grad transfers at positions of need.

5. Instead of taking Stone, why not take a chance on a low risk big man? Maybe a center who received some inferior coaching, like Dominik Olejniczak who can actually play 15MPG at center.

Are you concerned with the following quote...

Stone had gotten off to a relatively poor start to the 2018-19 season before his injury. He averaged just 6.1 points and 3.9 rebounds per game, losing out on some of his minutes to freshman Keyontae Johnson.

Though Johnson was signed as a guard and views himself as one, Florida was forced to play him at power forward for much of the season. He did well in Stone's stead, averaging 8.1 points and 6.4 rebounds per game as a true freshman.

Again, I have no problem taking Stone at the end as filler. I have a problem with taking him and relying on him as an actual big man. Why not take a "low risk" player who can actually play the center position?
Again, no one is expecting this kid to be a savior. He is a depth take and someone who can play the stretch 4 (a position Larranaga values).

Advertisement
Stone wants to play like a guard so that "need" may just have been addressed.

Actually, if the kid plays the 3 and can guard someone at that position, that is a good idea for a backup guard (given our situation).

1: Lykes/Wong
2: Beverly/DJ
3. McGusty/Stone

Last edited:
Again, no one is expecting this kid to be a savior. He is a depth take and someone who can play the stretch 4 (a position Larranaga values).

Savior? Who knows if he can be quality depth? We have Sam, how do these guys differ if their styles?

You missed a large percentage of the post BTW. I am going to assume you agree to those points or have no rebuttal.

Agreed. Also, Stone isn’t a real big man.

We need someone who can really help us rebound. Look at our stats the last few years.

Yep. I've thought from the start that we need a grad transfer center if we could find one. Unless Miller takes a huge step forward, and that doesn't seem to be expected.

Advertisement
Back