2019 CB Marcus Banks hits portal

"I know it was really a last-minute thing and I wanted peace in my heart," said the 6-foot and 175-pound Banks. "It was back and forth with a couple of schools. It was between Mississippi State, Florida State and Miami.

"I kept praying and went with my heart and I looked at everything. I was waiting on that feeling and I got a good feeling that Mississippi State was the move for me. I was at peace with my decision tonight so I went ahead and let the world know."

During the month of December, Banks officially visited Mississippi State, Miami and Maryland. His official visit to check out the Bulldogs was last weekend and he got a good idea that his talents were needed in Starkville.

"When I was on my official visit we watched practice and I saw they needed help on the back end of the secondary," added Banks. "Also, I think Coach (Jason) Washington and Coach (Darcel) McBath are good coaches and they develop players.

"They have developed Martin Emerson and that was a plus for me. (Emmanuel) Forbes has been playing good, too, and they are doing really good things in the secondary. I feel like I can come in and keep that going for them."

Banks' mom was also with him during his Mississippi State official visit. And he said his family was going to support him regardless of which school he chose.

"I talked it over with my family and they are all in," Banks said. ""They just want what is best for me. They know I am the one on the field playing. So they just asked me what I was feeling and they went with what I was feeling."

Another factor, added Banks, was his prior relationship with Washington. During his high school recruiting process, Banks was also recruited by Washington while Washington was coaching defensive backs at Texas at the time.

"Of course, it is going to help," said Banks about Washington. "He recruited me when he was at Texas. He is a good dude and a genuine guy that coaches hard. He had a lot to do with my decision and he recruited me really hard."

Advertisement
The portal is tougher to acquire talent than it was 3 years ago.

Now everyone is attacking the portal similar to recruiting.

You can say no worries we can grab 1-2 CBS in the portal or we can grab a DE or LB in the portal. Now you got several teams looking for same thing, and some are better programs than Miami. Plus the player needs to be an upgrade to what you already have.

Once you identify you now have to beat out several other suitors and go through the recruiting process with the transfer.

DB and WR are always plentiful in the portal. **** Tyrique and Rambo weren't even in yet at this time last year.

With Mario, Miami can recruit with anyone, so I don't really see a reason to worry

Advertisement
Sounds like he was looking for the place he’d get the most opportunity to showcase himself.

And while both FSU’s and our DB’s aren’t elite, if all you’re doing is seeing a quick glance of a bowl practice, you might be fooled into thinking guys like Dent and Ivey are solid because they pass the measurables test.

Our opinions might differ, but aside from Stevenson, none of those corners should be starting here (if we're going to take the next step from a middling ACC team to Coastal Champs). Can they improve? Absolutely - it would be silly to give up on them (aside from Ivey, he needs his access to the building revoked). But from what I saw last season...

- Clarke: Abused by any WR with two hands, VT baptized him and he was consistently torched and out-muscled despite playing eight yards off the ball
- Couch: Regressed considerably, too small and not quick enough (at least this past year) to negate that
- Dunson: Never really stood out, rangy but a bit slow, interested to see what T-Rob can do with him in the Spring.
- Curtis: Didn't play much
- Blades: Don't think he's playing football anymore

So that leaves Stevenson, who's 50/50 on going pro (and knowing Miami's track record with keeping guys who have no business going pro, he'll leave). You can have one of Couch or Clarke out there, not both - two undersized corners make no sense. We desperately need at least 2 CBs that can immediately step in and play...and right now it's all contingent on true freshman.

And Banks?

4* who rode the bench at Bama. What evidence was there that he could play right away? He's nowhere close to a Stevenson type transfer.

Advertisement
And Banks?

4* who rode the bench at Bama. What evidence was there that he could play right away? He's nowhere close to a Stevenson type transfer.

Never said he was a Stevenson-caliber transfer. From what I've seen, Couch and Clarke don't belong on a P5 starting 11 - at least not one that's expected to be a Top 25 team and win the Coastal next season. Banks probably* does, however you're right in that there's limited tape on him, and he was passed up by a freshman.

I'm just saying we need numbers, because there is literally one corner right now that's remotely trustworthy out there, and he's debating going pro.

Never said he was a Stevenson-caliber transfer. From what I've seen, Couch and Clarke don't belong on a P5 starting 11 - at least not one that's expected to be a Top 25 team and win the Coastal next season. Banks probably* does, however you're right in that there's limited tape on him, and he was passed up by a freshman.

I'm just saying we need numbers, because there is literally one corner right now that's remotely trustworthy out there, and he's debating going pro.
Even if TS stays we need to land the Florence kid from SD, a portal corner, and both Graves & Harris need to be ready to contribute day 1. Rodgers may need awhile post ACL so I'm not counting on him to contribute until mid-season at the earliest.

Advertisement
The scholly #'s are fluid and we're not privy to all the info. It seemed a foregone conclusion Stephenson was gone, and now.. same with Hedley, and even smoke (if he wasn't joking) about Bubba. And the trenches desperately need to be addressed. I'm sure Mario's juggling and prioritizing. So if there's a #'s squeeze that dictates only one more corner, can we do better than Banks?

Advertisement
"I know it was really a last-minute thing and I wanted peace in my heart," said the 6-foot and 175-pound Banks. "It was back and forth with a couple of schools. It was between Mississippi State, Florida State and Miami.

"I kept praying and went with my heart and I looked at everything. I was waiting on that feeling and I got a good feeling that Mississippi State was the move for me. I was at peace with my decision tonight so I went ahead and let the world know."

During the month of December, Banks officially visited Mississippi State, Miami and Maryland. His official visit to check out the Bulldogs was last weekend and he got a good idea that his talents were needed in Starkville.

"When I was on my official visit we watched practice and I saw they needed help on the back end of the secondary," added Banks. "Also, I think Coach (Jason) Washington and Coach (Darcel) McBath are good coaches and they develop players.

"They have developed Martin Emerson and that was a plus for me. (Emmanuel) Forbes has been playing good, too, and they are doing really good things in the secondary. I feel like I can come in and keep that going for them."

Banks' mom was also with him during his Mississippi State official visit. And he said his family was going to support him regardless of which school he chose.

"I talked it over with my family and they are all in," Banks said. ""They just want what is best for me. They know I am the one on the field playing. So they just asked me what I was feeling and they went with what I was feeling."

Another factor, added Banks, was his prior relationship with Washington. During his high school recruiting process, Banks was also recruited by Washington while Washington was coaching defensive backs at Texas at the time.

"Of course, it is going to help," said Banks about Washington. "He recruited me when he was at Texas. He is a good dude and a genuine guy that coaches hard. He had a lot to do with my decision and he recruited me really hard."
Doesn't sound like Miami was ever even really the leader much less a done deal as we were lead to believe. We were just another horse in the race.

People on here keep mentioning that Blades is done with football or that football is no longer a priority for him. Is this accurate? Or are people just repeating what others have said on here? I have not seen anything official indicating he will not play next year.

In any case, we need another corner.

Advertisement
Back