2019 4-star RB Noah Cain speaks on Miami interest and his recent visit

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2019 4-star IMG Academy RB Noah Cain is already known as one of the most explosive backs in the country and has racked up offers from Miami, LSU, Ohio State, Texas, and Oklahoma to name a few. He was down in South Florida recently to work on his game at the Opening Miami Regional. How’d that go?

“I think I did what I expected myself to do, but still trying to be more dominant on everything I do,” Cain said.

Cain and his backfield teammate at IMG, Trey Sanders, used the opportunity of being in Miami to take a visit to the campus of one of his favorite schools: the Miami Hurricanes.

“It was good,” said Cain on his Miami visit. “We really talked about the playbook, got into it, and they tested my football IQ.”

Could Cain see him and Sanders playing in the same backfield again for another four years, possibly at a school like Miami?

“We complement each other real good as far making plays,” Cain said on Sanders. “We do talk to each other about playing in college together.”

Thomas Brown and Todd Hartley have spearheaded the recruitment of this 5’11”, 210 pound tank to Miami and helping the Canes out is the solid connection that the two staff members have built with Cain.

“I hear from coach Brown and coach Hartley the most,” Cain said. “My relationship with those coaches is very strong.”

Sometimes called “RB U”, Miami is known for their long tradition of sending ball-carriers to the NFL. Guys like Alonzo Highsmith, Ottis Anderson, Frank Gore, Clinton Portis, Edgerrin James, Willis McGahee, Lamar Miller, and Duke Johnson stick in Cain’s mind and it’s that tradition that draws him to Miami.

“The long list of running backs they’ve put in the league and that have been successful,” Cain said on why he’s interested in Miami.

Another reason Cain claims high interest in UM is his familiarity with the current team, despite spending two years at Guyer HS in Texas before transferring to IMG in Bradenton, FL for his junior year. Cain has two former high school teammates that are currently on the Hurricanes roster and has a good relationship with both.

“Brian Polendey. I played with him for two years while I was at Guyer and I also know Brian Hightower from IMG well,” Cain says.

Cain also has a current teammate at IMG that is in his ear about coming to Miami: 2020 DE/DT commit Tre'von Riggins.

“Yes sir, he’s real cool and a good young player,” Cain said about Riggins. “He always brings up me coming to Miami, even though I would be there before him.”

While Cain has no leaders or top groups, he does say that the Canes are among the few schools that he is hearing from the most.

“I don’t have a top group, but schools like Miami, LSU, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, and Penn State are coming hard.”

At Guyer, Cain was the main man at running back. But, in his first season sharing a backfield with a bunch of alpha dogs at IMG, Cain had to make an adjustment to not being on the field all the time while attempting to make the most of his limited touches. He ended the year with 86 carries for 524 yards (6.1 ypc) and 6 touchdowns on the ground despite a shoulder injury.

“My junior season was good and my team performed well,” Cain said. “I could’ve had a more dominant year despite my shoulder injury I played with all year.”

Cain is enjoying the recruiting process and plans on taking his time and drawing it out a bit after he takes his officials in the fall. His school of choice will be able to offer a cozy environment, as well as early playing time.

“I will make my announcement in December after I take all my official visits,” said Cain. “I’m looking for a school that I feel comfortable at and that will give me an opportunity to make an impact early.”

And what is he most excited about for his senior season at IMG?

“Leaving a mark on my high school career.”

Advertisement
It’s just amazing how high school players makes decisions on early playing opportunities rather than being properly developed long term. If tre decides canes to include current roster, he will go somewhere else! Thomas Brown, please show Canes stable of the past: Gore, Portis, James, McGahee, Patton, Jackson and Moss. Each was properly developed and productive prior to being drafted. From high school to college to NFL are major adjustments and learning curve. It’s more than running ability to earn playing opportunities!

Advertisement
AT THIS TIME, he appears to be leaning to Texas. I hope we can land both Sanders and Cain, but that may be a bit optimistic. Time will tell.

His highlight tape reminds me alot of Duke.
Huh? I can't see the similarities, but I respect your opinion.
I would love to hear how he reminds you of Duke, but there's a much "larger" issue that I would like to address. What is that you are holding in your avatar?

Advertisement
It’s just amazing how high school players makes decisions on early playing opportunities rather than being properly developed long term. If tre decides canes to include current roster, he will go somewhere else! Thomas Brown, please show Canes stable of the past: Gore, Portis, James, McGahee, Patton, Jackson and Moss. Each was properly developed and productive prior to being drafted. From high school to college to NFL are major adjustments and learning curve. It’s more than running ability to earn playing opportunities!

So we complain when guys go to Alabama and don’t have the immediate playing time they would have had here.

Then we also complain when a guy wants early playing time and doesn’t want to wait to see the field.

Every position is different. A RB doesn’t need to same development that other positions groups do. If I was an RB, I would know my position has the shortest life span in football. My decision would be based on sharing a backfield and minimizing wear and tear while still producing for a big time school.

Huh? I can't see the similarities, but I respect your opinion.
I would love to hear how he reminds you of Duke, but there's a much "larger" issue that I would like to address. What is that you are holding in your avatar?
He's holding a DT recruit!

Advertisement
Advertisement

A talented RB can still get early play time on a deep roster. Plenty of reasons to give top RBs a rest on certain plays. I agree with your point, but Frank Gore got on the field as a Tr. Fr. That's pretty incredible. Portis, Davenport, and McGahee were on the roster at the time.

Currently I think we have a better shot with Saunders, but even if we miss on both we will be good if we get Crowley, Carter, and Mac. Besides if we do end up pulling Neal and Hillery is really making the progress that is being reported, I think it doesn't matter much. We dominate the trenches and quality South Florida back will florish.

Advertisement
Back