2019 4-Star DB Jaden Davis- "I like the fact that they treat me as one of the family, not just a recruit.”

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
South Florida is a hotbed for elite high school football talent. Due to year round seven on seven leagues, the skilled positions in South Florida are always elite. One name that comes to mind in this 2019 class is 4-star cornerback Jaden Davis. Davis has elite skill and only allowed five catches during the entire 2017 season. One concern people have for the 5’10’’ 170 pound defensive back is his size. How does Davis respond to this concern?

“I wouldn’t say anything but allow them to keep thinking that. I let my play do the talking and I don’t have to prove myself to anyone.”

While Davis does not think his size should concern anyone, he does acknowledge that he has many areas in his game that he can improve.

“I’m just looking to get stronger and improve my technique.”

Davis has already transformed his game a lot since the end of his sophomore season and is looking to keep getting better.

“My sophomore year all I did was play off coverage and during my Junior season all I did was play press coverage. I allowed five catches throughout the season and I hope to improve on the this year.”

Playing at St. Thomas has many advantages. For the defensive backs, this means you get to be coached by Sam Madison.

“He is a NFL great and he spreads his knowledge to us everyday in practice. When he talks everyone listens.”

Davis does not care what position he plays at the next level, he just wants a chance to contribute and help his team win.

“I’ve heard both (nickel and corner) from colleges and I will play wherever my coach in the future will put me in the secondary.”

Davis had a chance to show off his skills at both the Under Armor and The Opening camps.

“The Under Armor camp went great. I was already committed to the game, but it was a great opportunity to compete. I got DB MVP at The Opening and that was another great experience. I hope to get invited in the near future.”

You read that correctly. Even though he won defensive back MVP he was not invited to the finals.

Receiving an offer from your hometown team is always a great moment, and this was no different for Davis.

“Receiving a Miami offer was crazy I remember it was spring of my sophomore year. Coach Banda spoke to me over the phone. Just to receive an offer from the hometown team was just amazing.”

Miami has put two men in charge of recruiting Davis, sending both Mike Rumph and DeMarcus Van Dyke out on the trail.

“They are both great guys and I have built a great relationship with them. They talk to me more about family and life than football.”

Davis will be committing on his birthday, July 18th. He hopes that this decision will be final so he can just shut down his recruitment and sign in December. With his decision date approaching fast, what is Davis looking for in a school?

“The family aspect of the college is big for me.”

In a recent interview Anthony Solomon did with David Furones, Davis video bombed and threw up “The U.” How much should we read into this?

“He recently committed to Miami so I was showing him and ‘The U’ a little love.”

One out of state school that Davis is taking a close look at is Oklahoma.

“I really enjoyed Oklahoma that’s one of the schools at the top of my list right now just because the atmosphere and the people were both great.”

Davis was at Miami for the invite only junior day and is set to travel to Kentucky on June 8th for an official visit. One thing Davis likes most about Miami, both while on his last visit and as a whole, is the family aspect.

“I like the fact that they treat me as one of the family, not just a recruit.”

Davis has had two teammates recently commit to Miami, Solomon last month and Huff this week. So are they pushing him to Miami?

“Yes, especially Anthony (Solomon) he talks to me everyday about UM.”

Aquinas is loaded with defensive talent and Miami is going after multiple members of that defense. Do these St. Thomas teammates talk about this often?

“We do and it would be crazy. Only time will tell what actually happens.”

Two former Aquinas players, Al Blades Jr. and Mike Harley, are also pushing Davis to commit to Miami.

“Both of them guys are like family to me. They are always shooting me a text or joke just trying to get me on board.”

Mark your calendars, July 18th is approaching quickly.

Advertisement
I think in due time this summer everything will work itself out and he will be on board. That last line in the story says it all.

Advertisement
Nah. Thats not what i said. What i said is right now hes not on our board like that. Meaning other options are ahead of him. But regardless of whats where you still keep avenues open. Never know what happens in recruiting.
if he was to commit to us in July would we accept his commitment?

Its all about build with this kid...if he can get 170 eventually and still play the same its a no brainer. He may never be a boundry corner here but his skills are not to be ignored.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Said since last yr that he needs to be one of the 3 CB's we take and I'm not backing off of that. This kid can ball. Period.

I like this years STA Senior crop more than I have in a looooong time. Speaking of, we need to get the RB Carter on board already.

Advertisement
Really think we need a nickel CB in this class and Jaden might be the best there is. He really isn't that small, I mean he's measured in at either 5'9" 5'9.5" at multiple camps, and at 170 lbs, he's got 20 lbs on a kid like Couch.

Hopefully we get him. Him, Sanguinetti, and 1 more seems ideal at CB

Nah. Thats not what i said. What i said is right now hes not on our board like that. Meaning other options are ahead of him. But regardless of whats where you still keep avenues open. Never know what happens in recruiting.

ah okay my b I misunderstood

Advertisement
Back