2019 4-Star DB Jaden Davis- "I like the fact that they treat me as one of the family, not just a recruit.”

I definitely agree with only taking the shorter CBs who really bring something to the table - like Young (did) and especially Bandy.

Two of the shorter CBs during the Butch era were Duane Starks (5'10") and Philip Buchanon (5'9").

But they were both burners and both left as first-rounders.

And Buchanon was one of the most dangerous Canes with the ball in his hands - either after an INT or on punt returns - slippery and explosive.

And Starks housed one during the 1st Ravens Super Bowl if I remember correctly.

If Davis is that good, then grab him. If not, then let's get ones who are taller with the same or better skill set.

I've heard the same thing as @Brooklyndee -- there was some politics involved in Davis starting over Blades.

Davis is a good player who can play here, but I have no problem with setting high physical standards at DB. This isn't like Shannon or Golden era where the cupboard is bare. Ideally, a 5'10 corner should be a special athlete with 4.4 speed and playmaking ability with the ball in his hands.

Advertisement
****, some of this was embarrassing.

@Matthew_Suero I'll cut you some slack because you’re an unpaid high school intern and a minor, and I appreciate your passion and hard work. But no way in **** you should be texting and getting a potential Miami recruit in the middle of some dumbass online beef about his own **** weight. Step back and think for a moment how stupid the whole thing looks. That could have had negative consequences.

@Brooklyndee - C’MON MAN - you’re better than this. I get it. When you saw him, he didn’t look the weight. Ok, one post. You’re a grown *** man that’s played the game at high level in college at the U and is close to the program and you’re going back and forth with a high school student on a message board over a meaningless few pounds, that can change in a few weeks anyway? C’MON MAN!!

None of this was worth it.

Lost in all this: seems like we don't like corners that can't come up and tackle. Davis might be great but if they don't think he can tackle at the next level they won't take him.

I personally don't love this, because I think we need more guys with natural ball skills (how many times did our guys miss interceptions last year because they never turned their head around?), but that seems to be the guys we are taking.

the Nike camp is THE BEST place for heights and weights going on 10 years plus. Im going to go with them more so than any listed from a coach there's is definately verified. Ive been following recruiting for some time and even attended the same camp in high school...its the one i go by the most.
All understood. Since youre a regular on here too all ill say is just with nephew,bookie & tj over the last 4 years ive been stuck at camp after camp after camp. They all have different methods or atleast different regiments they go about to collect info. Do you remember last year everyone kept telling me my own nephews info. That hes 6'1 & change 6'2 change and he weighs 188 & he runs 4.8 all this crazy stuff i know for fact is nowhere close. Hes been above 6'3 for a year and change almost 6'4 now 200+ same length of time & always sub 4.5 none of those things report it. Every camp we went to last year we just told them we didn't want to release that & they dont do it. They just list what was previously posted. Tai has been doing that same thing since freshman year of high school. The stats people say on him was 3 years ago that it was collected. Other than the ACTUAL opening where you have to do all that or future 50 or under armour or army qualifiers its just whatever.

@Matthew_Suero I'll cut you some slack because you’re an unpaid high school intern and a minor, and I appreciate your passion and hard work. But no way in **** you should be texting and getting a potential Miami recruit in the middle of some dumbass online beef about his own **** weight. Step back and think for a moment how stupid the whole thing looks. That could have had negative consequences.

@Brooklyndee - C’MON MAN - you’re better than this. I get it. When you saw him, he didn’t look the weight. Ok, one post. You’re a grown *** man that’s played the game at high level in college at the U and is close to the program and you’re going back and forth with a high school student on a message board over a meaningless few pounds, that can change in a few weeks anyway? C’MON MAN!!

If I had to go back I wouldn't do it again. With that being said, you guys need to remember that the people I interview do read the comments. Just keep that in mind.

Advertisement
What Bandy, Mattheu, Finnegan, Grimes and several “undersized” DBs have taught me is don’t judge them by size. I think every recruiting class should have a nickel guy if he’s got that dog and heart in him.
Bruh you do realize the people you named the Darrell greens, buddy who played for the eagles back in the days,they are quintessential needle in the haystack. You dont discount anyone cause of size alone. But they should have to be real special (bandy IS) to come here. Im not trying to stereotype but 8 out of 10 kids match that exact description. Especially down this way. If thats all we want we should never leave the muck for that posistion. Ill take a undersized kid who chases rabbits his whole life over the rest. Just sayin

Advertisement

Amen. You forget some of these people are kids. That said i already acknowledged i felt like a scumbag once he pointed that out. Shouldn't have bothered rp go back and forth regardless. Lastly cut some slack on the kid. Its all a learning experience & im sure next time **** approach it differently. At that age i (im sure all of us) did my share of things I'd love to take back. @Matthew_Suero no worries lil bruh. Keep doing a good job & contributing INSIGHT. In the future keep what's on here just that way.

I’d say 90 % of the posters here want him at the U.
To be clear I'm certainly not against him being a cane in anyway. Id be perfectly happy and supportive. I'm just sayin what's going on with recruiting of him AT THIS MOMENT. either way im good with. If staff passes they have their reasons & i understand. Same thing if we take him.

To be clear I'm certainly not against him being a cane in anyway. Id be perfectly happy and supportive. I'm just sayin what's going on with recruiting of him AT THIS MOMENT. either way im good with. If staff passes they have their reasons & i understand. Same thing if we take him.

Nah, I was responding to the “ the recruits read this” comment. Majority of the stuff is positive in this thread. Your only knock is size which isn’t that negative imo.

And I know others agree with you on the size . I’m just ok with one or two of these “ smaller “ guys a year , especially if they’re dawgs that can cover.

Why yall acting like the coaches don't want Davis just because of his size?

They're ******* recruiting him aren't they? Looks like the plan is to take 2-3 CBs in this class. Right now ALL the OOS guys (including Steele) are the ones that are definite takes right now. So we're shooting our shot with them. We're not ignoring the Florida DBs.

Like you guys are bringing up Bandy, but he was committed for like half a ******* year! I really am not seeing what is wrong with the way we handled Bandys recruitment. They evaluated and made absolutely sure that at his height, he was the type of dude they'd slap themselves for not taking. The question is, is Davis that same type of guy? Idk but he better work his *** of to become undeniable if he wants to be a Cane. Better kill it at camps AND during the season. Its as simple as that. Due to his size, he's just gotta be better than the other recruits because the fact is his height is a disadvantage for our defense.

Secondly, I don't think yall are really understanding just how tall the average WR is getting. Looking at the next crop of Draft prospects, there is only like ONE WR prospect in the top like 15 who isn't 6'1" or taller - Deebo Samuel. And Nickel CBs do NOT need to be super short guys either, thats just stupid.

Advertisement
Why yall acting like the coaches don't want Davis just because of his size?

They're ******* recruiting him aren't they? Looks like the plan is to take 2-3 CBs in this class. Right now ALL the OOS guys (including Steele) are the ones that are definite takes right now. So we're shooting our shot with them. We're not ignoring the Florida DBs.

Like you guys are bringing up Bandy, but he was committed for like half a ******* year! I really am not seeing what is wrong with the way we handled Bandys recruitment. They evaluated and made absolutely sure that at his height, he was the type of dude they'd slap themselves for not taking. The question is, is Davis that same type of guy? Idk but he better work his *** of to become undeniable if he wants to be a Cane. Better kill it at camps AND during the season. Its as simple as that. Due to his size, he's just gotta be better than the other recruits because the fact is his height is a disadvantage for our defense.

Secondly, I don't think yall are really understanding just how tall the average WR is getting. Looking at the next crop of Draft prospects, there is only like ONE WR prospect in the top like 15 who isn't 6'1" or taller - Deebo Samuel. And Nickel CBs do NOT need to be super short guys either, thats just stupid.

Supposedly he’s not a take at this moment.

This whole "He took Blades spot" thing has been blown way out of proportion I think.

That said, I am not a fan of 5'9 166 lb DBs but who am I?

IF he is as good as or better then ASamuel Jr who was basically the same height and weight going into his Sr year then you take him. But I agree with Coach Macho..you only take a kid that small if he has some elite attributes. Samuel Jr had bloodlines/genes of his pops. Fiery, feisty, always around the ball and was a bulldog. That's just in him. He cant run from that and it cant be taught. (Looking at you Jhavonte Dean)

Not sure what JDavis's is though.

My same feelings..couldnt have said it better.

Supposedly he’s not a take at this moment.
I know, I just said that. That doesn't mean the staff doesn't want him and isn't recruiting him.

This is simple. Its the same ******* thing at LB. Yall always want everyone. But the fact is we are limited to how many we can take. We have 4 LBs committed, and everyone still wants to add Rian Davis and Jahmar Brown, but the fact is 6 ******* LBs in one class is just stupid. Its similar at CB. We clearly want to take like 2-3. Davis may be at the 4th/5th position right now for all we know. Now that makes him not a take AT THE MOMENT. He has an offer and we are recruiting him pretty well imo. But we want to see how things play out with the very top of our board first, what is wrong with that?

Advertisement
I know, I just said that. That doesn't mean the staff doesn't want him and isn't recruiting him.

This is simple. Its the same ******* thing at LB. Yall always want everyone. But the fact is we are limited to how many we can take. We have 4 LBs committed, and everyone still wants to add Rian Davis and Jahmar Brown, but the fact is 6 ******* LBs in one class is just stupid. Its similar at CB. We clearly want to take like 2-3. Davis may be at the 4th/5th position right now for all we know. Now that makes him not a take AT THE MOMENT. He has an offer and we are recruiting him pretty well imo. But we want to see how things play out with the very top of our board first, what is wrong with that?

If your offer isn’t committable then I don’t view the staff wanting you. I view it as “ they want you if they miss on the other guys”.

Which is normal protocol, but i get kids getting rustled by that. Especially from the home team , that’s been around them and seen them more than anyone else.

Kids is a four star from a feeder school , at a position of need.

If I had to go back I wouldn't do it again. With that being said, you guys need to remember that the people I interview do read the comments. Just keep that in mind.

I agree with this.

Some of the shlt people post is downright embarrassing and is not representative of the fanbase or the program and the U of M. Hopefully recruits understand this.

It’s the internet. Where every jackass with a WiFi connection can spew infinite bullshlt with no repercussions.

Even rival fans do it sometimes to make us look bad. And most of the so called “fans” that post the most ignorant crap aren’t the real fans at all. Trust me on this. Those aren’t the guys going to games, donating, and showing up to events. They’re the Twitter heroes dropping bombs 24/7

All understood. Since youre a regular on here too all ill say is just with nephew,bookie & tj over the last 4 years ive been stuck at camp after camp after camp. They all have different methods or atleast different regiments they go about to collect info. Do you remember last year everyone kept telling me my own nephews info. That hes 6'1 & change 6'2 change and he weighs 188 & he runs 4.8 all this crazy stuff i know for fact is nowhere close. Hes been above 6'3 for a year and change almost 6'4 now 200+ same length of time & always sub 4.5 none of those things report it. Every camp we went to last year we just told them we didn't want to release that & they dont do it. They just list what was previously posted. Tai has been doing that same thing since freshman year of high school. The stats people say on him was 3 years ago that it was collected. Other than the ACTUAL opening where you have to do all that or future 50 or under armour or army qualifiers its just whatever.

Oh i agree its totally possible. Guys scratch.Guys show up late and dont weigh in etc. But as far as camps go..The Nike one is the best. Its the same as The Opening. Which is why the sparq is added, they have to pass the regional scores to get the oregon invite. Ive been tracking it for some time...and what i really find funny is..when looking back..Those same ones from the Nike camp are usually not far off when the nfl combine comes back around.
For example a kid will measure at 5'10 1/2 at the camp. Go to college get listed at 6'0. Go to the nfl combine and get measured at 5'10 1/2 or 5'11.

I don’t see how anybody could not like the movie Pursuit of Happyness.

I was blessed never to be in his dire situation but I could relate to that desperation when you’re first starting out at the bottom and the hustle to make it.

Advertisement
Back