2018 Offensive Depth Chart - Grade & Concerns (Spring)

Nice job! I'm really hopeful that Donaldson can lock down the RT spot. TE is an "incomplete" until the freshmen get here. I think their playing time, like young RBs, will be predicated on how quickly they can pick up blocking schemes. I'd wager we see a lot of flexed-out TE sets early on a la Njoku 2 years ago to get them in space on drag routes and the occasional post/seam.

So much talent at WR and RB and I'm worried our limitations at QB and OL may render both units average.

Advertisement
Top Teams win from the inside - out. It’s all about the line of scrimmage.
No Coach is clever enough to hide a porous O’Line. I will not pass judgement on the D’Line until we play LSU. Just not ready to Crown them.

I realize we have some very skilled players, it matters most at the line of scrimmage.

QB - Grade: B-

1. Malik Rosier or N'Kosi Perry or Jarren Williams or Cade Weldon

Concern - We all know Rosier's limitations and it seems like N'Kosi is still not ready/can't maximize his talent. Jarren sounds to be the future, but the kid should still be in HS

Prediction - Richt goes with Rosier based on experience, unless N'Kosi or Williams shows significant growth/improvement in fall camp.

RB - Grade: A-

1. Travis Homer
2. Deejay Dallas
3. Lorenzo Lingard
4. Cam Davis or Robert Burns

- Great Depth and mix of different style of backs. No concern here, excited to see the growth of this position.

FB- Grade: B+

1. Realus George or Trayone Gray

WR - Grade: A+

1. Ahmmon Richards
2. Mike Harley
3. Dayall Harris or Dee Wiggins or Marquez Ezzard

Slot
1. Jeff Thomas
2. Mark Pope

1. Brian Hightower or Lawrence Cager
2. Darrell Langham or Evidence Njoku

- Deepest position on the team. Speed and size all over the field. Would be a shame if our QB won't let this unit showcase their talents

TE - Grade: B

1. Brevin Jordan
2. Will Mallory or Michael Irvin II
3. Brian Polendey

Concern - If it wasn't for the freshman coming in, this unit would grade awfully. Need Jordan and Mallory to play like veterans

OL - Grade: B-

LT
1. Tyree St. Louis
2. Kai-Leon Herbert or George Brown

LG
1. Delone Scaife
2. Cleveland Reed or Jahair Jones
3. Bar Milo

C
1. Tyler Guathier
2. Corey Gaynor

RG
1. Venzell Boulware or Hayden Mahoney
2. Zalon'tae Hillery
3. Zach Dykstra

RT
1. Navaughn Donaldson
2. John Campbell or George Brown

Concern - Searels and the OL need to figure themselves out ASAP, very concerning that with all these bodies we haven't found a lineup that can give the QB decent time. IMO Donaldson needs to trim weight and solidify himself as the RT. If he does that, then it will help structure the rest of the OL moving forward

OVERALL - B

With all the talent at the skill positions it would be a shame if our two weakest links on offense (QB & OL) can't improve and allow this offense to flourish. All eyes will be on those two positions (and TE with the freshman) come fall, with significant improvement needed before LSU.

Mark Richt's style of offense is also a concern, we'll see how things materialize in the fall
If those are the grades then it should be a B+ 3.34

The top 20 TE's LY averaged 600ds and 5 TD's, only 12 TE's went over 500yds. Over the last 20 years the best stats for a Freshman TE I could find were by a kid from Mizzou who had 500yds and 4 TD's

Thank you for looking it up.

That is just pass catching. IMO, with the weapons we have at WR, the TE position in the passing game is more of a luxury than a necessity this year. I think we can get by without a pass catching TE, so long as we have someone serviceable as an outlet.

But TE is always important in the run game. And as we saw last year, sometimes its easier said than done to, for example, have an unbalanced line or line up a FB at TE. We need a TE that can block, point blank period FOH (my @brock impression).

With no blocker, and no proven pass catcher, I can't give this year's TE unit anything higher than a C-, and that is being generous.

QB - Grade: B- (Feeling generous I see)
RB - Grade: A- (in the ballpark)
FB- Grade: B+ (Just no. Nope. Nope. Nope.)
WR - Grade: A+ (maybe next year if AR returns; Deepest unit for sure; Not A+)
TE - Grade: B (Best 2 options are true Fr who aren't on campus; Nope)
OL - Grade: B- (Negative ghost rider, the pattern is full)

OVERALL - B (C+ at best for me)

No longer a talent issue thankfully. Depth, offensive scheme, 3rd down conversion/ RZ %

Good post. Just think it was graded best case scenario more so than most likely outcome

/especially with QB situation.. Just my opinion

Advertisement
Thank you for looking it up.

That is just pass catching. IMO, with the weapons we have at WR, the TE position in the passing game is more of a luxury than a necessity this year. I think we can get by without a pass catching TE, so long as we have someone serviceable as an outlet.

But TE is always important in the run game. And as we saw last year, sometimes its easier said than done to, for example, have an unbalanced line or line up a FB at TE. We need a TE that can block, point blank period FOH (my @brock impression).

With no blocker, and no proven pass catcher, I can't give this year's TE unit anything higher than a C-, and that is being generous.

My hope is the addition of a true fullback will help take some of the pressure off the TE as far as blocking goes.

QB - Grade: B-

1. Malik Rosier or N'Kosi Perry or Jarren Williams or Cade Weldon

Concern - We all know Rosier's limitations and it seems like N'Kosi is still not ready/can't maximize his talent. Jarren sounds to be the future, but the kid should still be in HS

Prediction - Richt goes with Rosier based on experience, unless N'Kosi or Williams shows significant growth/improvement in fall camp.

RB - Grade: A-

1. Travis Homer
2. Deejay Dallas
3. Lorenzo Lingard
4. Cam Davis or Robert Burns

- Great Depth and mix of different style of backs. No concern here, excited to see the growth of this position.

FB- Grade: B+

1. Realus George or Trayone Gray

WR - Grade: A+

1. Ahmmon Richards
2. Mike Harley
3. Dayall Harris or Dee Wiggins or Marquez Ezzard

Slot
1. Jeff Thomas
2. Mark Pope

1. Brian Hightower or Lawrence Cager
2. Darrell Langham or Evidence Njoku

- Deepest position on the team. Speed and size all over the field. Would be a shame if our QB won't let this unit showcase their talents

TE - Grade: B

1. Brevin Jordan
2. Will Mallory or Michael Irvin II
3. Brian Polendey

Concern - If it wasn't for the freshman coming in, this unit would grade awfully. Need Jordan and Mallory to play like veterans

OL - Grade: B-

LT
1. Tyree St. Louis
2. Kai-Leon Herbert or George Brown

LG
1. Delone Scaife
2. Cleveland Reed or Jahair Jones
3. Bar Milo

C
1. Tyler Guathier
2. Corey Gaynor

RG
1. Venzell Boulware or Hayden Mahoney
2. Zalon'tae Hillery
3. Zach Dykstra

RT
1. Navaughn Donaldson
2. John Campbell or George Brown

Concern - Searels and the OL need to figure themselves out ASAP, very concerning that with all these bodies we haven't found a lineup that can give the QB decent time. IMO Donaldson needs to trim weight and solidify himself as the RT. If he does that, then it will help structure the rest of the OL moving forward

OVERALL - B

With all the talent at the skill positions it would be a shame if our two weakest links on offense (QB & OL) can't improve and allow this offense to flourish. All eyes will be on those two positions (and TE with the freshman) come fall, with significant improvement needed before LSU.

Mark Richt's style of offense is also a concern, we'll see how things materialize in the fall
Richts offensive perspective is flawed, I agree 100%

Advertisement
Not sure how TE, OL, and FB can be graded so high. TE? Dudes aren't on campus and it sounds like the current crop are at best a D. FB? One's not on campus and the other was burred on the depth chart at RB.... grade D. OL? True freshmen, prodigy or not, are making them look bad. They haven't gotten the job done.. grade C at best. I don't think it's right to hand out spring grades based on incoming talent.

QB: C+
RB: A-
WR: B+
TE: C
OL: B-
DL: B
LB: B
DB: B+
ST: C
Too low on the receiver for sure..... lb and dline imo. Te maybe but all that I know We are bringing in two of the best receiving tight ends in the country(1 happens to be an excellent blocker as well).

Qb can’t be no lower than a B , for as bad as rosier was at times he still had 31 touchdowns total 3500 yards plus and we have 2 intriguing talents to back him up.

Too low on the receiver for sure..... lb and dline imo. Te maybe but all that I know We are bringing in two of the best receiving tight ends in the country(1 happens to be an excellent blocker as well).

Qb can’t be no lower than a B , for as bad as rosier was at times he still had 31 touchdowns total 3500 yards plus and we have 2 intriguing talents to back him up.

You're probably right.

Advertisement

Our WR core is an A. I'm going to shy away from A+ so as not to blow smoke, but IMO they can be an A+ with good QB play.

QB: C+ (today)
RB: A-
WR: A
TE: C-
OL: C+
DL: A-
LB/Striker: B+
DB: B+

There's a big difference in blocking High School kids in Nevada to blocking LSU , FSU , and Clemson DE's and LB's

There's a big difference in blocking High School kids in Nevada to blocking LSU , FSU , and Clemson DE's and LB's
Bishop Gorman played a national schedule against the top teams around the country week in and week out. I agree With you’re point but there is an adjustment period for everyone not just tight end

Advertisement
A group that gave up 129 sacks in the spring game does not deserve anywhere near that grade

did you also forget the gaping holes they opened up for our RBs?

oh wait.. they didn't open any holes, let alone gaping ones

If those are the grades then it should be a B+ 3.34
really.gif

I honestly don't think Mallory is redshirting myself yet there seem to be many who think he will. I think his size and receiving skills alone will allow him to contribute.

I agree 100%. Mallory absolutely dominated in his games in high school. They will put packages in for him. This kid is a mix between Greg Olsen and Jeremy Shockey but faster than both of them. I see Brevin Jordan as a Kellen Winslow type but with a higher ceiling.

Advertisement
Back