2018 Offensive Depth Chart - Grade & Concerns (Spring)

nvlahos

Junior
Premium
QB - Grade: B-

1. Malik Rosier or N'Kosi Perry or Jarren Williams or Cade Weldon

Concern - We all know Rosier's limitations and it seems like N'Kosi is still not ready/can't maximize his talent. Jarren sounds to be the future, but the kid should still be in HS

Prediction - Richt goes with Rosier based on experience, unless N'Kosi or Williams shows significant growth/improvement in fall camp.

RB - Grade: A-

1. Travis Homer
2. Deejay Dallas
3. Lorenzo Lingard
4. Cam Davis or Robert Burns

- Great Depth and mix of different style of backs. No concern here, excited to see the growth of this position.

FB- Grade: B+

1. Realus George or Trayone Gray

WR - Grade: A+

1. Ahmmon Richards
2. Mike Harley
3. Dayall Harris or Dee Wiggins or Marquez Ezzard

Slot
1. Jeff Thomas
2. Mark Pope

1. Brian Hightower or Lawrence Cager
2. Darrell Langham or Evidence Njoku

- Deepest position on the team. Speed and size all over the field. Would be a shame if our QB won't let this unit showcase their talents

TE - Grade: B

1. Brevin Jordan
2. Will Mallory or Michael Irvin II
3. Brian Polendey

Concern - If it wasn't for the freshman coming in, this unit would grade awfully. Need Jordan and Mallory to play like veterans

OL - Grade: B-

LT
1. Tyree St. Louis
2. Kai-Leon Herbert or George Brown

LG
1. Delone Scaife
2. Cleveland Reed or Jahair Jones
3. Bar Milo

C
1. Tyler Guathier
2. Corey Gaynor

RG
1. Venzell Boulware or Hayden Mahoney
2. Zalon'tae Hillery
3. Zach Dykstra

RT
1. Navaughn Donaldson
2. John Campbell or George Brown

Concern - Searels and the OL need to figure themselves out ASAP, very concerning that with all these bodies we haven't found a lineup that can give the QB decent time. IMO Donaldson needs to trim weight and solidify himself as the RT. If he does that, then it will help structure the rest of the OL moving forward

OVERALL - B

With all the talent at the skill positions it would be a shame if our two weakest links on offense (QB & OL) can't improve and allow this offense to flourish. All eyes will be on those two positions (and TE with the freshman) come fall, with significant improvement needed before LSU.

Mark Richt's style of offense is also a concern, we'll see how things materialize in the fall

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nice writeup.

I agree with the QB grade based on the talent. Besides Rosier this is a very young group that will continue to develop. I expect Nkosi, Jarren, and Cade to continue to make strides over the summer and through Fall camp. Jarren Williams will very likely make it impossible for Richt to red shirt him. Still high on Nkosi and Cade. More time to develop is needed. I will begrudgingly resign myself to the fact that Rosier could be a good game manager if indeed Richt goes with him.

Based on performance there is no way to give the OL a B. There is clearly some very good talent here but unfortunately the best talent is the youngest here. Still, one gets the feeling that this group should be better than they have shown thus far. I expect this group to make significant progress over the summer and be serviceable at the very least to begin the season then continue to improve throughout the year.

TE is basically all about the 2 true freshmen. Bevin Jordan should start from day one. The big question here is what type of shape will Mallory come in. If he has been working on his strength and reports at a decent weight then forget the redshirt.

WR is deep and talented.
RB See WR.

Nice writeup.

I agree with the QB grade based on the talent. Besides Rosier this is a very young group that will continue to develop. I expect Nkosi, Jarren, and Cade to continue to make strides over the summer and through Fall camp. Jarren Williams will very likely make it impossible for Richt to red shirt him. Still high on Nkosi and Cade. More time to develop is needed. I will begrudgingly resign myself to the fact that Rosier could be a good game manager if indeed Richt goes with him.

Based on performance there is no way to give the OL a B. There is clearly some very good talent here but unfortunately the best talent is the youngest here. Still, one gets the feeling that this group should be better than they have shown thus far. I expect this group to make significant progress over the summer and be serviceable at the very least to begin the season then continue to improve throughout the year.

TE is basically all about the 2 true freshmen. Bevin Jordan should start from day one. The big question here is what type of shape will Mallory come in. If he has been working on his strength and reports at a decent weight then forget the redshirt.

WR is deep and talented.
RB See WR.

I think the OL is too talented to not give them at least a B-

Now their performance so far has been a C- but i think if Donaldson can solidify RT then we have 3 trustworthy starters (St.Louis, Gauthier, and Donaldson) and the other 2 G spots should work themselves out, especially with Boulware and Reed coming in, and some of the young guys improving by fall (Scaife, Hillery, etc.)

Advertisement
Mallory isn't going to RS I don't care what shape he comes in at. (his dad is a coach, I am sure he will be in tip top shape so I am not worried about that)

OT looks unbelievably terrifying. Good god. Are we slated to face any "NFL Caliber" DEs this season besides Clemson in the ACC title game? God help us if so.

Mallory isn't going to RS I don't care what shape he comes in at. (his dad is a coach, I am sure he will be in tip top shape so I am not worried about that)

OT looks unbelievably terrifying. Good god. Are we slated to face any "NFL Caliber" DEs this season besides Clemson in the ACC title game? God help us if so.
I honestly don't think Mallory is redshirting myself yet there seem to be many who think he will. I think his size and receiving skills alone will allow him to contribute.

fellas, the best WR group in the entire country may very well be ours. If not the best, absolutely top 3 or 4.

I think it's Rosier that is going to have to improve to keep his job. I expect to see far more growth from Williams from now until September than from Rosier. If he gets it right between the ears, which I can't see why he won't, it will be Rosier that needs to step up his game. His shortcomings are greater than anything an inexperienced Williams has to offer. Williams can make all the passes Rosier can not, and quite frankly if Richt and company can't get him ready it is on them. Their job is to get the best guy ready, and it shouldn't take them years to do so.

Bottom line, if they can simplify the O for Rosier last year, why the **** can't they do it for a vastly superior, albeit younger, QB?

Advertisement
I'm very down on the OL at this point, I need to see us pick up a 3rd & 2 when it really matters for me to think they're anything above a C-.

Can anyone provide insight about how freshman TEs have traditionally fared? It’s a position that, aside from Canes, I don’t pay all that much attention to.

My initial thought is they will have a tough time blocking, and this board is placing way too much reliance in two unproven freshman.

Curious to know if any FR excelled elsewhere at the position.

I think it's Rosier that is going to have to improve to keep his job. I expect to see far more growth from Williams from now until September than from Rosier. If he gets it right between the ears, which I can't see why he won't, it will be Rosier that needs to step up his game. His shortcomings are greater than anything an inexperienced Williams has to offer. Williams can make all the passes Rosier can not, and quite frankly if Richt and company can't get him ready it is on them. Their job is to get the best guy ready, and it shouldn't take them years to do so.

Bottom line, if they can simplify the O for Rosier last year, why the **** can't they do it for a vastly superior, albeit younger, QB?

Based on some HS tape and limited spring practice?

Advertisement
Can anyone provide insight about how freshman TEs have traditionally fared? It’s a position that, aside from Canes, I don’t pay all that much attention to.

My initial thought is they will have a tough time blocking, and this board is placing way too much reliance in two unproven freshman.

Curious to know if any FR excelled elsewhere at the position.

The top 20 TE's LY averaged 600ds and 5 TD's, only 12 TE's went over 500yds. Over the last 20 years the best stats for a Freshman TE I could find were by a kid from Mizzou who had 500yds and 4 TD's

We're judging the OL from the spring performance. We obviously have the glass half full/empty thing going here. Our DL just might be even better then last year. Remember that during the glory years our defense always dominated our offense especially during spring.

Advertisement
again you're gleaned this information from his high school tape and spring practice, I'm not as confident as you are.
Williams is a top notch talent, while Rosier is a career backup, forced to play because Kaaya left early. Williams is the complete package, and I'd be 100% confident in him starting after being an EE.

For the record, I have never been a "new guy is the best guy" person. I am just that impressed with Williams' skill set, as well as his work ethic and mind set.

We're judging the OL from the spring performance. We obviously have the glass half full/empty thing going here. Our DL just might be even better then last year. Remember that during the glory years our defense always dominated our offense especially during spring.
I think that's a fair statement to make, I think our defense is that good.

Nice job! I'm really hopeful that Donaldson can lock down the RT spot. TE is an "incomplete" until the freshmen get here. I think their playing time, like young RBs, will be predicated on how quickly they can pick up blocking schemes. I'd wager we see a lot of flexed-out TE sets early on a la Njoku 2 years ago to get them in space on drag routes and the occasional post/seam.

I don't think the offensive line will be that bad. There is a lot of talent there. I also think they should but Burns at fullback instead of gray. Burns is an underrated player.

Advertisement
Back