2018 NFL Redraft Herndon

Spence has been one of my favorites in the past 10 years at UM. Unfortunately, Spence hasn't really panned out in the NFL and hasn't proven to be worth having drafted higher. Spence with a little more weight and speed sounds like a great NFL prospect, though (see Devin Bush)
Spence suffered a catostrophic knee injury in preseason before he ever played a real game. He was never the same. Broke my heart as he was one of my alltime favorite Canes.

Advertisement
Speaking as a NY Jets fan and a Cane, we LOVE Herndon. He has become a star here and one of the most popular players. He and Darnold have a great relationship. I think he is going to have a great season this year.

Really hoping the Jets pick up at least one more Cane.

We've had a bunch of undervalued players for sure - but we're far from 100% on that.

We've had plenty of recent players drafted high that have been disappointments - Ereck Flowers, Phillip Dorsett, Chad Thomas, Mark Walton, Artie Burns

Every school has it's share of overachievers and busts - no school is a safe bet.

The main thing I want for ProCanes is that they get some $$ after giving their best for my team. Obviously that means doping well in the NFL, I also hope they can get out intact as much as possible. Especially avoiding CTE.
Being undervalued in the draft costs them a lot of money and a lot never make that second contract. I'm glad LM and OV did.
I was hoping Duke would find a way to make a good contract.
Herndon is very underpaid, so I hope he gets a Jimmy Graham make-up contract in a few years

We've had a bunch of undervalued players for sure - but we're far from 100% on that.

We've had plenty of recent players drafted high that have been disappointments - Ereck Flowers, Phillip Dorsett, Chad Thomas, Mark Walton, Artie Burns

Every school has it's share of overachievers and busts - no school is a safe bet.
2 of those dudes just played their rookie season........

Advertisement

Dorset is starting to turn it around with the patriots but I agree. Burns lost his starting job last season but Thomas hasn’t really done much but where exactly was the opportunity? They had Myles garret on one end and Emmanuel ogbah who was a first round pick himself just a few years ago starting too. Furthermore I wouldnt Consider mark walton a high draft pick being a 4th rounder so not sure why he’s listed

Last edited:
Dorset is starting to turn it around with the patriots but I agree. Burns lost his starting job last season but Thomas hasn’t really done much. Furthermore I wouldnt Consider mark walton a high draft pick being a 4th rounder so not sure why he’s listed

Dorsett has 500 yds receiving in 2 years with the Patriots. I don't think 2 TD's in the playoffs are signs of him turning it around. He still only had 70 yds in 3 games.

Chad Thomas played 22 total snaps last year. He was the 3rd pick of the 3rd round. Certainly time to turn it around, but that's a really bad start.

Mark Walton is a perfect example of an "undervalued" Miami player who was actually always overrated. So many on this board, yourself included Brock, were certain he was much more talented and would've been drafted higher if he didn't get injured. That he was a Top 5 RB in the draft type talent. A steal as a 4th.

Well.....PFF rated Walton 28th out of 28 rookie RB's last year. Even before the arrests, he looked like a total bust.

Dorsett has 500 yds receiving in 2 years with the Patriots. I don't think 2 TD's in the playoffs are signs of him turning it around. He still only had 70 yds in 3 games.

Chad Thomas played 22 total snaps last year. He was the 3rd pick of the 3rd round. Certainly time to turn it around, but that's a really bad start.

Mark Walton is a perfect example of an "undervalued" Miami player who was actually always overrated. So many on this board, yourself included Brock, were certain he was much more talented and would've been drafted higher if he didn't get injured. That he was a Top 5 RB in the draft type talent. A steal as a 4th.

Well.....PFF rated Walton 28th out of 28 rookie RB's last year. Even before the arrests, he looked like a total bust.
Naw I never Said he would be drafted higher than that especially considering his athletic testing. You said he wouldn’t be drafted at all actually. You have to glean much more in Dorsett numbers, he was the patriots most sure handed receiver last year in terms of catching percentages and his role decreased a bit when the patriots got Edelman back in addition to josh Gordon. He’s primed for a top 3 role for them this year and the patriots value Dorsett.
Thomas battled injuries last year but as Cleveland gm John Dorsey said just the other day they expect chad Thomas to play a major role this year.

Dorset is starting to turn it around with the patriots but I agree. Burns lost his starting job last season but Thomas hasn’t really done much but where exactly was the opportunity? They had Myles garret on one end and Emmanuel ogbah who was a first round pick himself just a few years ago starting too. Furthermore I wouldnt Consider mark walton a high draft pick being a 4th rounder so not sure why he’s listed

If Flowers keeps his head on straight, he'll play 15 years. His PFF scores went way up in J'ville. He's a starting caliber tackle for mediocre teams. Can play both positions. Everyone should want him on their team talent wise, at least as a backup. Can't be a head case, though.

Advertisement
If Flowers keeps his head on straight, he'll play 15 years. His PFF scores went way up in J'ville. He's a starting caliber tackle for mediocre teams. Can play both positions. Everyone should want him on their team talent wise, at least as a backup. Can't be a head case, though.
Redskins just signed him for a 1 year deal worth 4million dollars too so he may have a starting role at worst as a backup

Naw I never Said he would be drafted higher than that especially considering his athletic testing. You said he wouldn’t be drafted at all actually. You have to glean much more in Dorsett numbers, he was the patriots most sure handed receiver last year in terms of catching percentages and his role decreased a bit when the patriots got Edelman back in addition to josh Gordon. He’s primed for a top 3 role for them this year and the patriots value Dorsett.
Thomas battled injuries last year but as Cleveland gm John Dorsey said just the other day they expect chad Thomas to play a major role this year.

Playing at a level that's over/under where a player was drafted & just playing a role on a team are 2 different things.

Walton played worse than a 4th Rounder - You had him as a 3rd/4th rounder after the combine, and had hyped him as one of the best RB's in the country. I thought he'd be a 6th after the combine, after thinking wouldn't be drafted at all before his Junior year. I always said he was an undrafted free agent type talent, and no way he was a Top 10 RB in the draft. Now he's out of the league in under a year.

Dorsett has played well below a 1st Rounder - If the Patriots valued him, they would've signed him to more than a 1 year "prove it" contract this offseason. They signed 3 other WR's to 1 year deals. They'll probably draft a WR early, maybe 2, with their 12 draft picks. It would be great to see Dorsett and Berrios playing a role for the Patriots, but it's far from a given.

Thomas has not played like a 3rd rounder (yet) - Yes, the GM is expecting more than the nothing he gave them last year. But he'll be behind a good example of an overachieving Miami guy - Olivier Vernon. He's gonna have to fight to be a rotational player.

I totally understand if people don't remember high picks that didn't work out if their careers weren't very memorable. But the "Miami guys are always undervalued" as a blanket statement just isn't true. Plenty of examples where it is, plenty of examples where it isn't.

Lamar Miller would have games with the Dolphins where he would rush for 70 yards in the first half (averaging like 6 ypc), and then they would ignore him in the 2nd half and they'd end up losing. It was frustrating as **** to watch. It was like he had some statistical bonuses structured in his contract and they were determined to not let him meet those numbers

I might be one of the biggest dolphin fans ever...and this is true..they have been doing this for years. When it occured with Lamar it was to obvious....they did it to reggie bush prior to. I mean legit had 70 yds first half and would get like 3 carries in the next..sh*t was always strange

In fairness, and I hate the Dolphins, but I don't know if anyone really knew how good LM was until he left them. He is quietly having a very good career for the Texans.

I'm sure if they knew then what they know now they would have coughed up the dough. Its not like he signed a mega deal with the Texans or anything. The Dolphins could have payed that. But of course, they are the Dolphins so doing dumb **** is just what they do.

HE WAS GOOD WITHT HE DOLPHINS. THEY KNEW.

They didnt want to pay him anything..its the usual. He wasnt some type of development witht he texans..dude is a good nfl back..hes a consistent 1k guy when given carries

Advertisement
Playing at a level that's over/under where a player was drafted & just playing a role on a team are 2 different things.

Walton played worse than a 4th Rounder - You had him as a 3rd/4th rounder after the combine, and had hyped him as one of the best RB's in the country. I thought he'd be a 6th after the combine, after thinking wouldn't be drafted at all before his Junior year. I always said he was an undrafted free agent type talent, and no way he was a Top 10 RB in the draft. Now he's out of the league in under a year.

Dorsett has played well below a 1st Rounder - If the Patriots valued him, they would've signed him to more than a 1 year "prove it" contract this offseason. They signed 3 other WR's to 1 year deals. They'll probably draft a WR early, maybe 2, with their 12 draft picks. It would be great to see Dorsett and Berrios playing a role for the Patriots, but it's far from a given.

Thomas has not played like a 3rd rounder (yet) - Yes, the GM is expecting more than the nothing he gave them last year. But he'll be behind a good example of an overachieving Miami guy - Olivier Vernon. He's gonna have to fight to be a rotational player.

I totally understand if people don't remember high picks that didn't work out if their careers weren't very memorable. But the "Miami guys are always undervalued" as a blanket statement just isn't true. Plenty of examples where it is, plenty of examples where it isn't.

You commenting on 2 guys that been in the league less than a year really makes no sense at this point. Dorsett is agreeable. He went 1st round because of the speed....we:cane fans" didnt have him as a 1st rounder.

A lot of GMs would have looked a lot smarter if they internally used "He's a Cane" as a main evaluation intangible. Canes almost always ball in the league. It's that simple. Besides Ereck Flowers, I dont know of a guy off the top of my head where the team that took him didn't get more production out of him than what they expected.

Love the guy but artie wasn't what the steelers were expecting.

You commenting on 2 guys that been in the league less than a year really makes no sense at this point. Dorsett is agreeable. He went 1st round because of the speed....we:cane fans" didnt have him as a 1st rounder.

My 1st post of recent "underachievers" was Dorsett, Flowers, Burns, Thomas, Walton.

The whole thing is very subjective - but I'm using what round they were drafted in (where an NFL team valued them) vs. where Canes fans rated them (which can have a 4-5 round difference depending on who you ask) to make it less subjective.

Basically - Did the team who drafted them get a good return on their investment?

If we're including Herndon as "playing above his draft position" after 1 year (the original post), then it's fair to include Thomas & Walton - but all 3 would be "so far" type grades (although I think Walton's career might already be done).

For the record - I think Miami produces more guys that play above their draft position as a whole. I'm just pointing out we also have a fair share of guys that play under their draft position. It's definitely not a case of "Miami guys are always undervalued".

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back