2018 Miami commit D.J. Ivey ready for a comeback

View as article

David Perez

Recruit
Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 12.12.20 PM.jpg

At 6’1”, South Dade defensive back D.J. Ivey makes an impact with his length. After missing his entire junior year due to a foot injury, Ivey is ready to make his presence known going into his senior season.

At the first annual NGHTMR 7-on-7 tryout this past Friday, Ivey began his road back into the spotlight, and showed why Miami offered him early in the process.

[TWEET]820124979287195648[/TWEET]

“I hear from them [Miami] a lot,” Ivey said. “Every other day I get a call from Coach Banda or Coach Rumph and we have conversations.”

Ivey said he has a “tight” relationship with Coach Rumph and the staff, but made it clear that one of the most important reasons why he chose Miami was the ability to play early.

“They actually play freshmen,” Ivey said. “Joseph Jackson, Shaq Quarterman, people like that; they actually play freshmen not just put them on the bench.”

As Peter Ariz wrote in his NGHTMR 7-on-7 tryout notebook, Ivey has selected the nickname “Young Artie” after Artie Burns, and wields a lot of the same tools do to his length and physical makeup.

According to 247sports.com Ivey and Burns had identical size and weight in high school, and as Peter Ariz noted, he should garner more national attention after recovering from his injury.

Ivey also holds offers from schools such as Louisville and West Virginia, but is solid too Miami in large part due to the relationships with their staff.

“It is very important,” Ivey said. “We get the same vibe, I’m very comfortable being around him.”

Ivey has seen Rumph develop young cornerbacks such as Malek Young during his first year at Miami and knows that if he has the ability to play early if he puts in the work.

“It makes me view that if as a freshman I put in the hard work I will be able to play.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
another savage DB in the #STORM18 Class, this class will set up Miami for the long haul to the road back to a National Power imo.

Ivey is legit.

Thank god he's underrated because we'd be in a dogfight for him.

Advertisement
Thanks for the writeup. I think we're going to have the best DB class ever in 2018. Ivey certainly looks the part.

Advertisement

Ivey's recruitment will likely blow up the more he shows out in the offseason.

Not to mention a sign we're truly on the come up is winning dogfights for premier talent like Ivey. And yes he is a blue-chipper despite the way he's currently ranked.

Ivey's recruitment will likely blow up the more he shows out in the offseason.

Not to mention a sign we're truly on the come up is winning dogfights for premier talent like Ivey. And yes he is a blue-chipper despite the way he's currently ranked.

He is not a 'Blue Chip" prospect

Does he have the speed artie had... NO

I posted before Ivey in Spring 2016 ran a 51.78--400m (NE-49.50) and a triple jump of 43-2(NE 45-0) in his first year of HS track so he is developing the long speed

We seem to have recruited a couple of kids now who missed their junior seasons. Weldon, Burns, Ivey. It's becoming a theme.

Advertisement
Ivey has time to get better, not that he doesn't have skills now. Rumph is gonna make this kid max out his physical gifts and turn him into a shutdown CB. Rumph is a coach first, recruiter second. Kids will see it, then the recruiting will come, they'll want to play for him. I'd rather it work like that. I think Malek steps up and continues getting better and Dean shows out also. Rumph will get the studs we want to be Canes. I have faith in #8 .

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Back