2018 dual-threat QB Jarren Williams says Miami has offered

Advertisement
Here are Williams' highlights against Parkview from over the weekend.

[HUDL]video/3/3878790/59fe5af28cd3e00e48994843[/HUDL]

Here are Williams' highlights against Parkview from over the weekend.

[HUDL]video/3/3878790/59fe5af28cd3e00e48994843[/HUDL]

He killed it in the game... that is the exact style of offense we are playing right now.

When it comes to QB's I always want to see full games so you can see how he handles the down-to-down stuff, and preferably I'd see them in person to get a grasp for leadership and watching them in-between plays. Ideally, I'd even see a few practices (I'm a firm believer you can really learn a lot about a player's makeup at practice).

Going just off of a highlight film though:

- He does an excellent jump of staying calm when pressured. I've always believed this is number one for big time QB's. All QB's that get to the P5 level are going to look good in a clean pocket with receivers running five yards open, so that doesn't mean much to me. Show me how the man handles free rushers and pressure in his face and I'll tell you a lot about how he'll play at this level.

- I like that he is looking for receivers rather than just running when his first read isn't open. Keep in mind, this is where seeing them down-to-down comes into play. These could be all the highlights and not showing the myriad of plays that get ruined because he didn't take a three yard run on the play, but again going off of highlights he does a good job with this. You can get so much more out of an offense if your QB moves around to allow receivers time to get open, rather than only running to gain yards.

- He's obviously not a kid who has been with a QB guru since he was 5. When he drops back from shotgun he is crossing his feet half the time (a no-no). His footwork is a mess. His release is honestly pretty clean, but the mechanics of the way comes out is weird. It's like he raises his shoulder right before he throws it and then throws at a linear angle, rather than a smooth motion. He stops his follow-through on several throws. Most all of those are correctable with a redshirt. He certainly isn't coming in and beating out a senior Rosier, though.

- I said his footwork is a mess, and it is, but I really like his feet. He is like a dancer back there with how sweet his feet are. He's gliding around back there. Having natural feet like this player does is something that is a huge sign of future success.

- His arm is just ok right now, maybe even a tick below average, but I think there is a lot more in there with proper throwing mechanics. I think you'll get an arm similar to what Rosier has (which is a very good arm) once you teach him to sync up his legs and his upper body. Right now it's like he's trying to throw darts.

- The running ability is solid. Not dynamic, but solid. I'd say his running ability is very similar to what Rosier brings currently. Keep in mind, that's as a high school senior.

- As I review this kid, I have no idea what his ranking is. I assume it's pretty good. Just for reference to our fanbase, here is how I would rank these QB's on film:

N'Kosi, Jarren Williams, James Blackman, Cade Weldon, DTR, Sitkowski.

When it comes to QB's I always want to see full games so you can see how he handles the down-to-down stuff, and preferably I'd see them in person to get a grasp for leadership and watching them in-between plays. Ideally, I'd even see a few practices (I'm a firm believer you can really learn a lot about a player's makeup at practice).

Going just off of a highlight film though:

- He does an excellent jump of staying calm when pressured. I've always believed this is number one for big time QB's. All QB's that get to the P5 level are going to look good in a clean pocket with receivers running five yards open, so that doesn't mean much to me. Show me how the man handles free rushers and pressure in his face and I'll tell you a lot about how he'll play at this level.

- I like that he is looking for receivers rather than just running when his first read isn't open. Keep in mind, this is where seeing them down-to-down comes into play. These could be all the highlights and not showing the myriad of plays that get ruined because he didn't take a three yard run on the play, but again going off of highlights he does a good job with this. You can get so much more out of an offense if your QB moves around to allow receivers time to get open, rather than only running to gain yards.

- He's obviously not a kid who has been with a QB guru since he was 5. When he drops back from shotgun he is crossing his feet half the time (a no-no). His footwork is a mess. His release is honestly pretty clean, but the mechanics of the way comes out is weird. It's like he raises his shoulder right before he throws it and then throws at a linear angle, rather than a smooth motion. He stops his follow-through on several throws. Most all of those are correctable with a redshirt. He certainly isn't coming in and beating out a senior Rosier, though.

- I said his footwork is a mess, and it is, but I really like his feet. He is like a dancer back there with how sweet his feet are. He's gliding around back there. Having natural feet like this player does is something that is a huge sign of future success.

- His arm is just ok right now, maybe even a tick below average, but I think there is a lot more in there with proper throwing mechanics. I think you'll get an arm similar to what Rosier has (which is a very good arm) once you teach him to sync up his legs and his upper body. Right now it's like he's trying to throw darts.

- The running ability is solid. Not dynamic, but solid. I'd say his running ability is very similar to what Rosier brings currently. Keep in mind, that's as a high school senior.

- As I review this kid, I have no idea what his ranking is. I assume it's pretty good. Just for reference to our fanbase, here is how I would rank these QB's on film:

N'Kosi, Jarren Williams, James Blackman, Cade Weldon, DTR, Sitkowski.

DTR behind Cade Weldon.. wut? what are you seeing that I'm not.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back