2018 DT Michael Thompson

Just a question how many Interior DL is expected per class and expected to be on the roster at a time?

Per class...3-4.
add that up and it covers for some modest attrition over 4-5 years.
Elite teams...those 3-4 should be 5* and 4*. Occasional 3* that has been eval'd that you are confident in.

That number is not realistic. UGA and Alabama have 12-13 total DL. FSU has 15 with a couple walk-ons. Auburn has 12. USC has 11. Clemson has 15.

This season we had 15 DL on our roster, 8 of those are DT's. After this off-season we will have 10 if Norton and RJ stay. 8 if they leave with 4 being DT's (too few for sure).

3 DT's per class would be 12 DT's on the roster at a given time. <2 per year after attrition is ideal and 6-7 on a roster is perfect.

Rousseau, Nesta, and Chatfield seem almost certain to sign. That puts us worse case (Norton and RJ leave) at 11 DL and 5 DT's. Best case 13 DL and 7 DT's.

Given these numbers if we can sign 2 more DT's and maybe 1 more DE we'd be in perfect position. Not exactly a huge ask to finish with a few more. None of Kul's targets at DT have signed yet.

Briggs
Carson (in a good spot, had a great visit and he is a good kid, very concerned with helping the needy, Pastor Richt wheelhouse)
Thompson

[URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] - You need you account for attrition every year as a recruiter, evaluator, and program builder. So, recruiting 3-4 per year does not mean you will have 12-16 or whatever on your roster...you need to understand many of those are going to fall by the wayside. Injuries, transfers, so deep on the bench you forget they exist, etc.

[URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] - Need fluctuates between interior and outside. Some years are heavy on the interior, others heavy on the outside. When I say "interior DL" usually, per 247, it will mean DT and SDE. So, 3-4 DT and/or SDE.

numbers from 247...total DL...only because SDE/DT/WDE position doesn't always translate...but to ultimately make a point...

Alabama
2018 - 5* (1) 4* (4) 3* (0) - 5 Total
2017 - 5* (1) 4* (2) 3* (0) - 3 Total
2016 - 5* (0) 4* (4) 3* (1) - 5 Total
2015 - 5* (1) 4* (2) 3* (2) - 5 Total

Total - 5* (3) 4* (12) 3* (3) - 18 Total

Clemson
2018 - 5* (2) 4* (2) 3* (1) - 5 Total
2017 - 5* (0) 4* (3) 3* (0) - 3 Total
2016 - 5* (1) 4* (2) 3* (1) - 4 Total
2015 - 5* (1) 4* (3) 3* (3) - 7 Total

Total - 5* (4) 4* (10) 3* (5) - 19 Total

Ohio State
2018 - 5* (1) 4* (3) 3* (1) - 5 Total
2016 - 5* (1) 4* (2) 3* (0) - 3 Total
2015 - 5* (0) 4* (2) 3* (4) - 6 Total

Total - 5* (3) 4* (9) 3* (5) - 17 Total

Now compare that to Miami...

Miami
2018 - 5* (0) 4* (1) 3* (1) - 2 Total
2017 - 5* (0) 4* (2) 3* (1) - 3 Total
2016 - 5* (0) 4* (2) 3* (1) - 3 Total
2015 - 5* (0) 4* (0) 3* (3) - 3 Total

Total - 5* (0) 4* (5) 3* (6) - 11 Total

I think you can pick up what I am putting down. The valley between Miami and the best in the country is massive right now in the most important position group. Numbers AND quality just aren't there and its not like its gotten better under Richt.

The numbers we have on the roster are fine as I have shown. We have the same number of DT's and DE as these other squads. There's no getting around that. We had 15 on the roster which is more than the other teams you referenced.

Now there is absolutely no question regarding the quality of the DL targets we have gotten compared to the other squads. Miami is far far behind. However that is the case at EVERY position. We are also behind in numbers as a whole everywhere. Recruiting at all positions has been sub par until #storm18 . This is the very first recruiting cycle since 2009 that Miami has been in the mix with the big boys again. There's elite prospects coming at every position. We are also targeting some great and highly rated prospects. Nesta and Briggs are the #1 and #2 DT's in the state.

Any complaints regarding the DL recruiting this cycle is premature. The only reasonable thing to do is let it play out. Let's see what our numbers are after this cycle. Given the players we've already gotten in #storm18 , the kids in #surge19 , and the amazing start to #category20 (4-5* players already), I am confident. Richt has a ton of recruiting momentum and is obviously kicking some ****. I think we finish strong given what is happening.

We are returning 8 defensive linemen and currently adding 2 freshmen currently. Should we add another THREE linemen, sure, then we can talk. But I don't even want to spend key strokes on someone trying to defend adding some Junior Alexis or Delmar Taylor type nonsense to our roster and calling it depth. If we get some legitimate players...cool. Some G5 type dented cans? I won't even entertain the idea.

J. Jackson / J. Garvin / G. Rousseau
D. Jackson / S. Patchan
P. Bethel / T. Martin / N. Silvera
G. Willis / J. Ford

Also, to your numbers...Bama, UGA, and USC play three down linemen. 13 for them is pretty significant.
Clemson has 19 non-seniors + 5 current commitments...I am not going to do the math when it comes to walk-ons and who is declaring early...the point remains, its plenty more then Miami.

I'm not sure what you are really arguing...Miami's numbers aren't even close to OK.

Advertisement
Per class...3-4.
Elite teams...those 3-4 should be 5* and 4*. Occasional 3* that has been eval'd that you are confident in.

That number is not realistic. UGA and Alabama have 12-13 total DL. FSU has 15 with a couple walk-ons. Auburn has 12. USC has 11. Clemson has 15.

This season we had 15 DL on our roster, 8 of those are DT's. After this off-season we will have 10 if Norton and RJ stay. 8 if they leave with 4 being DT's (too few for sure).

3 DT's per class would be 12 DT's on the roster at a given time. <2 per year after attrition is ideal and 6-7 on a roster is perfect.

Rousseau, Nesta, and Chatfield seem almost certain to sign. That puts us worse case (Norton and RJ leave) at 11 DL and 5 DT's. Best case 13 DL and 7 DT's.

Given these numbers if we can sign 2 more DT's and maybe 1 more DE we'd be in perfect position. Not exactly a huge ask to finish with a few more. None of Kul's targets at DT have signed yet.

Briggs
Carson (in a good spot, had a great visit and he is a good kid, very concerned with helping the needy, Pastor Richt wheelhouse)
Thompson

[URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] - You need you account for attrition every year as a recruiter, evaluator, and program builder. So, recruiting 3-4 per year does not mean you will have 12-16 or whatever on your roster...you need to understand many of those are going to fall by the wayside. Injuries, transfers, so deep on the bench you forget they exist, etc.

[URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] - Need fluctuates between interior and outside. Some years are heavy on the interior, others heavy on the outside. When I say "interior DL" usually, per 247, it will mean DT and SDE. So, 3-4 DT and/or SDE.

numbers from 247...total DL...only because SDE/DT/WDE position doesn't always translate...but to ultimately make a point...

Alabama

Clemson

Ohio State

Miami

I think you can pick up what I am putting down. The valley between Miami and the best in the country is massive right now in the most important position group. Numbers AND quality just aren't there and its not like its gotten better under Richt.

The numbers we have on the roster are fine as I have shown. We have the same number of DT's and DE as these other squads. There's no getting around that. We had 15 on the roster which is more than the other teams you referenced.

Now there is absolutely no question regarding the quality of the DL targets we have gotten compared to the other squads. Miami is far far behind. However that is the case at EVERY position. We are also behind in numbers as a whole everywhere. Recruiting at all positions has been sub par until #storm18 . This is the very first recruiting cycle since 2009 that Miami has been in the mix with the big boys again. There's elite prospects coming at every position. We are also targeting some great and highly rated prospects. Nesta and Briggs are the #1 and #2 DT's in the state.

Any complaints regarding the DL recruiting this cycle is premature. The only reasonable thing to do is let it play out. Let's see what our numbers are after this cycle. Given the players we've already gotten in #storm18 , the kids in #surge19 , and the amazing start to #category20 (4-5* players already), I am confident. Richt has a ton of recruiting momentum and is obviously kicking some ****. I think we finish strong given what is happening.

We are returning 8 defensive linemen and currently adding 2 freshmen currently. Should we add another THREE linemen, sure, then we can talk. But I don't even want to spend key strokes on someone trying to defend adding some Junior Alexis or Delmar Taylor type nonsense to our roster and calling it depth. If we get some legitimate players...cool. Some G5 type dented cans? I won't even entertain the idea.

D. Jackson / S. Patchan
G. Willis / J. Ford

Also, to your numbers...Bama, UGA, and USC play three down linemen. 13 for them is pretty significant.
Clemson has 19 non-seniors + 5 current commitments...I am not going to do the math when it comes to walk-ons and who is declaring early...the point remains, its plenty more then Miami.

I'm not sure what you are really arguing...Miami's numbers aren't even close to OK.

I'm not sure what you're arguing.

We need more quality DL to finish this cycle as we are losing a lot of numbers even JAG's. Both our numbers point to that. We both agree, everyone agrees.

Nesta
Carson
Thompson
Briggs
Ojomo
Dorian Gerald
Chatfeild

All of these players are quality DL targets.

Now folks can choose to be pessimistic and beat a dead horse about the need to finish or just wait and see. I choose to wait and see. Not only that I am optimistic we close very strong. We got the recruiting momentum.

Per class...3-4.

Briggs
Thompson

Alabama

Clemson

Ohio State

Miami

The numbers we have on the roster are fine as I have shown. We have the same number of DT's and DE as these other squads. There's no getting around that. We had 15 on the roster in 2017 which is more than some the other teams you referenced. 12-17 seems to be the range for all these top teams.

Im sure the '19 and '20 kids will help a lot against LSU next season.

That's game

Per class...3-4.

Briggs
Thompson

Alabama

Clemson

Ohio State

Miami

The numbers we have on the roster are fine as I have shown. We have the same number of DT's and DE as these other squads. There's no getting around that. We had 15 on the roster in 2017 which is more than some the other teams you referenced. 12-17 seems to be the range for all these top teams.

Im sure the '19 and '20 kids will help a lot against LSU next season.

What does that have to do with anything?

If you wanna be a pessimistic miserable soul and ignore the positive things going on regarding recruiting then go ahead. Be miserable and be pessimistic.

Briggs
Thompson

Alabama

Clemson

Ohio State

Miami

D. Jackson / S. Patchan
G. Willis / J. Ford

We need more quality DL to finish this cycle as we are losing a lot of numbers even JAG's. Both our numbers point to that. We both agree, everyone agrees.

Nesta
Carson
Thompson
Briggs
Ojomo
Dorian Gerald
Chatfeild

Now folks can choose to be pessimistic and beat a dead horse about the need to finish or just wait and see. I choose to wait and see. Not only that I am optimistic we close very strong. We got the recruiting momentum.

We might finish with two of those players. Nesta and Chatfield.

I have no faith Miami closes with any of these other players unfortunately. Recent history...Richt, Golden, Shannon...tells me these other late signees are going to enjoy their free trip or cancel the week of.

If we were truly recruiting some of these guys like they were high priority players all year...I'd be all in, but unfortunately, thats likely not the case.

Advertisement

Alabama

Clemson

Ohio State

Miami

D. Jackson / S. Patchan
G. Willis / J. Ford

Nesta
Carson
Thompson
Briggs
Ojomo
Dorian Gerald
Chatfeild

I have no faith Miami closes with any of these other players unfortunately. Recent history...Richt, Golden, Shannon...tells me these other late signees are going to enjoy their free trip or cancel the week of.

If we were truly recruiting some of these guys like they were high priority players all year...I'd be all in, but unfortunately, thats likely not the case.

So, the Golden and Shannon years are an indictment of what we should expect this year?

How do you know which players and how hard the staff has recruited them this year? You don't.

85 Roster spots, which should be broken down to about:

QB - 4 or 5
RB - 6
WR - 12
TE - 5
OL - 15
LB - 9
DB - 15
K/P - 2

That would leave 16 for DL. So basically We'd want about 7 or 8 DTs (and 8 or 9 DEs).

Now if we really are going to be switching to a 4-2-5 base look than obviously we will need less LBs (6/7 instead of 9/10)

It is worth noting that the same discussion about recruiting DL applies to OL.

We signed no 5* kids and only a handful of 4* kids from ‘14 through ‘17.

Alabama signed like 6 5* kids and another 10 or so 4* OL in the same period. It’s not just DL we need. And I am not suggesting we have to keep pace with them in stars, but it’s a relevant comparison.

In ‘18, the kids we signed on Ol seem solid, but we need another for sure, and we need to make a big splash in ‘19 on OL.

You cannot win against the big boys without solid lines.

Alabama signed like 6 5* kids and another 10 or so 4* OL in the same period. It’s not just DL we need. And I am not suggesting we have to keep pace with them in stars, but it’s a relevant comparison.

In ‘18, the kids we signed on Ol seem solid, but we need another for sure, and we need to make a big splash in ‘19 on OL.

Could not agree more. Keep stacking both lines and that's a great start toward chipping away at Bama and Clemson.

Advertisement

Summarized simply at the end and should be obvious to anyone watching college football

D. Jackson / S. Patchan
G. Willis / J. Ford

Nesta
Carson
Thompson
Briggs
Ojomo
Dorian Gerald
Chatfeild

So, the Golden and Shannon years are an indictment of what we should expect this year?

How do you know which players and how hard the staff has recruited them this year? You don't.

Oh, but I do.

The answer is...not hard enough.

That is another can of worms.

Miami
2018 - 5* (0) 4* (2) 3* (1) - 3 Total
2017 - 5* (0) 4* (2) 3* (3) - 5 Total
2016 - 5* (0) 4* (0) 3* (1) - 1 Total (yikes)
I won't look at 2014 because none of those players will be on the 2018 roster (McDermott, Darling, Linder)

Total - 5* (0) 4* (6) 3* (9) - 15 Total

And we've had some attrition...Loftus, but that washes out with adding George Brown (worthless, but I digress).

Our starting OL

4* - St. Louis
4* Donaldson
3* Gauthier
3* (I have no idea who starts next year at guard, but likely a 3* for posterity)
4* Herbert

Starters seem...ok, I guess...quick hypothesis says we are a few notches below the top units in the nation. The backups are just a cavalcade of 3*, seemingly developmental types (have they developed? I guess we'll see). I have no idea what to make of them. Recent history says they won't be much, but I guess we'll see. Lots are young and have seen little to no real time.

But yeah, good point. Line recruiting...not so hot. That year with ONE recruit (3* Tre Johnson, who people are suggesting we move to DL) hurts.

Those 2015 recruits kind of being fodder really hurt, too. Milo, Mahoney (rooting for him), Jones.

Jesus.

Advertisement
[URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1][URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] [/URL] - You need you account for attrition every year as a recruiter, evaluator, and program builder. So, recruiting 3-4 per year does not mean you will have 12-16 or whatever on your roster...you need to understand many of those are going to fall by the wayside. Injuries, transfers, so deep on the bench you forget they exist, etc.

[URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2][URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] [/URL] - Need fluctuates between interior and outside. Some years are heavy on the interior, others heavy on the outside. When I say "interior DL" usually, per 247, it will mean DT and SDE. So, 3-4 DT and/or SDE.

Alabama

Clemson

Ohio State

Miami

Now there is absolutely no question regarding the quality of the DL targets we have gotten compared to the other squads. Miami is far far behind. However that is the case at EVERY position. We are also behind in numbers as a whole everywhere. Recruiting at all positions has been sub par until #storm18 . This is the very first recruiting cycle since 2009 that Miami has been in the mix with the big boys again. There's elite prospects coming at every position. We are also targeting some great and highly rated prospects. Nesta and Briggs are the [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] and [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] DT's in the state.

D. Jackson / S. Patchan
G. Willis / J. Ford

Nesta
Carson
Thompson
Briggs
Ojomo
Dorian Gerald
Chatfeild

Briggs has literally said we are recruiting him the hardest. That's the #2 DT in Florida and we have the #1 committed. Staff is and has been putting in the work.

I hope you can keep your pessimism in check until after NSD. No need to be bitter and negative until the bad thing actually happens.

That is another can of worms.

Miami
2018 - 5* (0) 4* (2) 3* (1) - 3 Total
2017 - 5* (0) 4* (2) 3* (3) - 5 Total
2016 - 5* (0) 4* (0) 3* (1) - 1 Total (yikes)
I won't look at 2014 because none of those players will be on the 2018 roster (McDermott, Darling, Linder)

Total - 5* (0) 4* (6) 3* (9) - 15 Total

And we've had some attrition...Loftus, but that washes out with adding George Brown (worthless, but I digress).

Our starting OL

4* - St. Louis
4* Donaldson
3* Gauthier
3* (I have no idea who starts next year at guard, but likely a 3* for posterity)
4* Herbert

Starters seem...ok, I guess...quick hypothesis says we are a few notches below the top units in the nation. The backups are just a cavalcade of 3*, seemingly developmental types (have they developed? I guess we'll see). I have no idea what to make of them. Recent history says they won't be much, but I guess we'll see. Lots are young and have seen little to no real time.

But yeah, good point. Line recruiting...not so hot. That year with ONE recruit (3* Tre Johnson, who people are suggesting we move to DL) hurts.

Those 2015 recruits kind of being fodder really hurt, too. Milo, Mahoney (rooting for him), Jones.

Jesus.
I have been saying this — Richt really messed up taking only one OL kid (if that) his first class. He seems to have realized that however. He probably thouht Golden taking a big class the prior year gave him some cover, but he obviously hadn’t paid attention to how awful Kehoe was. Loftus, Milo, Jones will never contribute meaningfully, and Brown I’m skeptical will also. Mahoney is a kid to root for as depth.

Disagree on ignoring ‘14 kids — OL should redshirt often in a well run program. So ‘14 kids would in fact be relevant to ‘18 rosters, and many ‘18 kids should be redshirting if you’re not desperate.

Come ‘19, we should have the following (assuming Milo doesn’t stick around):

OT: Campbell (4*), Hillery (3*), Brown (4*), T. Johnson (3*)
OT/OG: Donaldson (4*), Herbert (4*), Mahoney (3*), Dykstra (3*)
OG/OC: Scaife (4*), Reed (4*), Gaynor (3*)

Notes: none of the OTs has done anything, which is concerning. It suggests either Donaldson and/or Herbert swing out, and/or ‘19 true frosh are in the mix. The interior guys look legit. Hopefully Herbert plays to his recruiting ranking. Clear lack of a true LT on roster, IMO. Definitely need one more kid in ‘18, and a LT prospect would make sense if we find one, though a solid combo prospect like Barnes would add a lot of flexibility to this group.

For ‘19, we need real LT prospects. Cunningham looks the part. Need to know more on talent. Neal sounds legit interested. Tarquin may be a RT guy. Lucas is an interior guy, but gotta average 4 OL a year and need interior guys, too.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am just ignoring 2014 because none of them will be on the roster. This is where not taking enough players really hurts. You are forced to play these guys early, so they miss a year of development...I agree 100% with you.

A 23 year old OL against 20 year old DL is pretty significant. The best OLs are almost always upperclass laden with a lot collective starts and snaps together. You don't get that without some sort of redshirting. I'm not talking about Garrett Bolles-like 26 year olds starting in college, but that 23 year old RSSr is pretty important to a line. Next year, we are likely going to play some 3* Sophomore at guard...the odds of him being All-Conference caliber is low.

In 2017, only one player was an All-ACC offensive linemen (1st/2nd/3rd/HM) that was a sophomore (2nd year player) - Parker Braun of GT...but due to injury, he was thrust into playing as a freshman with 8 starts. All other players are 3rd, 4th, and 5th year players on the All-Conference team.

But again, I agree...not recruiting enough and playing all of your freshman OL early is a major issue. OL, more then any other unit, need that extra year eventually, especially your 3* types. 4* and 5* can get by seeing time (but even then, most need seasoning)...but yeah, big issue for Miami and will be in the upcoming years.

That '19 OL honestly, looks likes ****, not matter how much I individually like certain players like Scaife, Reed, Donaldson. Its going to be young'ish and lacking real depth.

Bad news for us. His top two will probably be Mizzou and Oklahoma. I've seen a lot of crystal ball picks for him come in for Oklahoma the last week and a half or so. This is surprising because I thought we had a better chance at him than Coburn with Thompson being from Missouri and knowing Kool's resume.

Let's just hope we can still get him on campus this weekend.

[TWEET]955583777006383105[/TWEET]

Bad news for us. His top two will probably be Mizzou and Oklahoma. I've seen a lot of crystal ball picks for him come in for Oklahoma the last week and a half or so. This is surprising because I thought we had a better chance at him than Coburn with Thompson being from Missouri and knowing Kool's resume.

Let's just hope we can still get him on campus this weekend.

[TWEET]955583777006383105[/TWEET]

We should stay tuned

Advertisement
Back