2018 Defensive Depth Chart - Grade & Concerns (Spring)

I’m sorry but I have to disagree with you here. Granted it was mainly the 2nd teamers/freshman but there were a couple plays where the coverage was very clearly blown and the quarterback simply couldn’t get the ball off to hit the open receiver. The glaring one that came to mind was when we had johnson and mj on the same side and mj was really badly expose with no safety over top on a flat to wheel. Luckily the Qb rolled the opposite direction but the backside coverage was blown wide open. Our defense IS stacked, but there definitely needs to be some more chalk board sessions before LSU.

Fair enough but I did say “naked eye”. Nobody knows what defensive coverage was called on that particular play.

And any blown coverages this year I predict with my beaker and lab coat will be covered up by our elite level DEs providing relentless pressure at least 85% of the time.

Advertisement
And there are no "Ors" at the DE position... the starters are Joe Jackson and Jon Garvin.

I wouldn't be so sure...DJack was our best DE at one point last year, even though he sat behind JJ. Once he gets back healthy from his injury he'll likely be our best run stopping DE. I could see him duplicating Chad's role of starting at DE to play sparingly, while moving inside for passing downs

And there are no "Ors" at the DE position... the starters are Joe Jackson and Jon Garvin.

That depends on who you're playing. VS LSU you can bet Demetrius will be getting the majority of snaps because of the run game. Gotta set the edge, not convince JJ can do it every down.

I’m sorry but I have to disagree with you here. Granted it was mainly the 2nd teamers/freshman but there were a couple plays where the coverage was very clearly blown and the quarterback simply couldn’t get the ball off to hit the open receiver. The glaring one that came to mind was when we had johnson and mj on the same side and mj was really badly expose with no safety over top on a flat to wheel. Luckily the Qb rolled the opposite direction but the backside coverage was blown wide open. Our defense IS stacked, but there definitely needs to be some more chalk board sessions before LSU.
I agree with @Jassid82 and despite your example of a blown coverage during practice, I think his point still stands. Obviously we don't have a ton of film to break down but I have also noticed that the defense seems much tighter and in sync. In my opinion the defense has shown significant improvement in the areas of blown coverages and missed assignments. I don't care what team you watch during the spring. You are going to have mistakes, blown coverages etc. ... We may not be perfect but I believe we will be much improved.

Someone had asked me to rank the DL in order of how many snaps they'll receive so here goes nothin'

J. Jackson
Willis
D. Jackson
Garvin
Bethel
Rousseau
Ford
Patchan
Silvera
Odenigbo
Martin
Miller
McCray

Advertisement
DE - Grade: A-

SDE
1. Demetrius Jackson or Joe Jackson
2. Scott Patchan

WDE
1. Joe Jackson or Jon Garvin
2. Greg Rousseau
3. Terry McCray

Concern - DEPTH, DEPTH, DEPTH Only. Ton of Studs at DE, but depth is the only thing keeping this position from being an A+

DT - Grade: A-

1. Gerald Willis
2. Pat Bethel
3. Tyreic Martin

1. John Ford
2. Jordan Miller or Nesta Silvera
3. Tito Odenigbo

Concern - DEPTH again. Not as bad once the Freshman and Tito get here, but if a player or two gets injured we're relying on a lot of young guys with minimal experience

WLB- Grade: A-

1. Mike Pinckney
2. Waynmon Steed or Charles Perry
3. Mike Smith

ILB - Grade: A-

1. Shaq Quarterman
2. Bradley Jennings
3. Mike Smith

SLB - Grade: B

1. Zach McCloud
2. De'andre Wilder or Charles Perry or Patrick Joyner

Striker - Grade: B+

1. Derrick Smith or Zach McCloud
2. Romeo Finley

- Great Depth at LB, need the 3 JR LBs to take the next step and become dominant. Love the striker position, think Smith will be a stud in that role

CB - Grade: A-

1. Mike Jackson
2. DJ Ivey
3. Al Blades

1. Gilbert Frierson or Trajan Bandy
2. Jhavonte Dean
3. Nigel Bethel

Nickel - Trajan Bandy

- Mike Jackson looks like he's poised for an All ACC type of year, maybe even All American. I think Frierson is too much of a dawg to not take the second boundary CB spot come fall. Trajan at nickel. Ivey, Dean, and Blades add great depth

SS- Grade: A

1. Jaquan Johnson
2. Gurvan Hall

FS - Grade: A-

1. Sheldrick Redwine
2. Amari Carter
3. Robert Knowles

OVERALL - A-

Defense is stacked with talent all over the place. If Norton and McIntosh had returned, we arguably would've had a top 5 defensive in the country. Depth is a concern on the DL and a little at S but plenty of play makers everywhere. Going to be a very exciting defense to watch again this year

Turnover Chain.. Turnover Chain...
Nice breakdown. My questions/comments....

1) Who else can play the nickel spot besides Bandy?
2) Who else plays the striker position?I know McCloud won't and I'm not sure about Finley.
3) Who was getting the 1st team reps at SLB with McCloud out? Steed? Wilder?
4) How big of a move has Bradley Jennings made this spring? Has he taken the #2 spot at MLB behind Shaq? Is he beating out Mike Smith?
5) I have a gut feeling that Jordan Miller will contribute from the get go in addition to Silvera but Nesta contributing won't be a surprise.
6) We need Gurvan Hall to be healthy and contribute. As @LuCane has mentioned many times, Hall has the type of skill set that we have been lacking at Safety. If Hall is able to contribute in a significant way it could transform our ability to be flexible in different coverages.

7) Frierson and Ivey will make their presence felt and make a huge impact.

8) Derrick Smith is going to ball out at the striker position and Amari Carter will begin to come into his own.

9) LB depth will make huge strides this year as Steed, Jennings and Wilder all take the next step especially Steed who will get major burn and become our best LB in coverage.

10) A coaching star is born as Jess Simpson will get the maximum out of this unit. As a result we will not miss Norton and McIntosh as much as we thought we would.

11) This defense will be much better against the run and 3rd down issues will be drastically improved making the 2018 defense Diaz's best since becoming our DC.

Mike smith is the 3rd or 4th best LB on the roster
I think Mike Smith will get the nod when it comes to backing up Shaq and Pinckney due to seniority. He also had a good spring along with Steed and Jennings. I believe Steed, Jennings, and Smith all will see a good number of snaps this year. The biggest question for me is how do we line up in the fall 4-2-5 or 4-3. I like the competition at LB, the offseason workouts will be key going into fall. Who will continue to make strides and who will fall below the waist side.

Advertisement
Back