2018 Defensive Depth Chart - Grade & Concerns (Spring)

nvlahos

Junior
Premium
DE - Grade: A-

SDE
1. Demetrius Jackson or Joe Jackson
2. Scott Patchan

WDE
1. Joe Jackson or Jon Garvin
2. Greg Rousseau
3. Terry McCray

Concern - DEPTH, DEPTH, DEPTH Only. Ton of Studs at DE, but depth is the only thing keeping this position from being an A+

DT - Grade: A-

1. Gerald Willis
2. Pat Bethel
3. Tyreic Martin

1. John Ford
2. Jordan Miller or Nesta Silvera
3. Tito Odenigbo

Concern - DEPTH again. Not as bad once the Freshman and Tito get here, but if a player or two gets injured we're relying on a lot of young guys with minimal experience

WLB- Grade: A-

1. Mike Pinckney
2. Waynmon Steed or Charles Perry
3. Mike Smith

ILB - Grade: A-

1. Shaq Quarterman
2. Bradley Jennings
3. Mike Smith

SLB - Grade: B

1. Zach McCloud
2. De'andre Wilder or Charles Perry or Patrick Joyner

Striker - Grade: B+

1. Derrick Smith or Zach McCloud
2. Romeo Finley

- Great Depth at LB, need the 3 JR LBs to take the next step and become dominant. Love the striker position, think Smith will be a stud in that role

CB - Grade: A-

1. Mike Jackson
2. DJ Ivey
3. Al Blades

1. Gilbert Frierson or Trajan Bandy
2. Jhavonte Dean
3. Nigel Bethel

Nickel - Trajan Bandy

- Mike Jackson looks like he's poised for an All ACC type of year, maybe even All American. I think Frierson is too much of a dawg to not take the second boundary CB spot come fall. Trajan at nickel. Ivey, Dean, and Blades add great depth

SS- Grade: A

1. Jaquan Johnson
2. Gurvan Hall

FS - Grade: A-

1. Sheldrick Redwine
2. Amari Carter
3. Robert Knowles

OVERALL - A-

Defense is stacked with talent all over the place. If Norton and McIntosh had returned, we arguably would've had a top 5 defensive in the country. Depth is a concern on the DL and a little at S but plenty of play makers everywhere. Going to be a very exciting defense to watch again this year

Turnover Chain.. Turnover Chain...

Advertisement
DE - Grade: A-

SDE
1. Demetrius Jackson or Joe Jackson
2. Scott Patchan

WDE
1. Joe Jackson or Jon Garvin
2. Greg Rousseau
3. Terry McCray

Concern - DEPTH, DEPTH, DEPTH Only. Ton of Studs at DE, but depth is the only thing keeping this position from being an A+

DT - Grade: A-

1. Gerald Willis
2. Pat Bethel
3. Tyreic Martin

1. John Ford
2. Jordan Miller or Nesta Silvera
3. Tito Odenigbo

Concern - DEPTH again. Not as bad once the Freshman and Tito get here, but if a player or two gets injured we're relying on a lot of young guys with minimal experience

1. Mike Pinckney
2. Waynmon Steed or Charles Perry
3. Mike Smith

ILB - Grade: A-

1. Shaq Quarterman
2. Bradley Jennings
3. Mike Smith

1. Zach McCloud
2. De'andre Wilder or Charles Perry or Patrick Joyner

Striker - Grade: B+

1. Derrick Smith or Zach McCloud
2. Romeo Finley

- Great Depth at LB, need the 3 JR LBs to take the next step and become dominant. Love the striker position, think Smith will be a stud in that role

CB - Grade: A-

1. Mike Jackson
2. DJ Ivey
3. Al Blades

1. Gilbert Frierson or Trajan Bandy
2. Jhavonte Dean
3. Nigel Bethel

Nickel - Trajan Bandy

- Mike Jackson looks like he's poised for an All ACC type of year, maybe even All American. I think Frierson is too much of a dawg to not take the second boundary CB spot come fall. Trajan at nickel. Ivey, Dean, and Blades add great depth

1. Jaquan Johnson
2. Gurvan Hall

FS - Grade: A-

1. Sheldrick Redwine
2. Amari Carter
3. Robert Knowles

OVERALL - A-

Defense is stacked with talent all over the place. If Norton and McIntosh had returned, we arguably would've had a top 5 defensive in the country. Depth is a concern on the DL and a little at S but plenty of play makers everywhere. Going to be a very exciting defense to watch again this year

Turnover Chain.. Turnover Chain...
Think we are better at de depth than you think with the emergence of Greg Rousseau and if patchan is healthy

I mentioned in another thread that the one thing that made me very happy about watching the D in the Spring game was that from the naked eye we didn't seem to give up big plays due to missed assignments. Losing a one on one battle I can live with because that wont happen often against our 1st team D....(Polenday beating Wilder on the big sideline catch, Hightower beating Dean and Frierson one on one for TDs come to mind..)

It looked like everyone knew exactly what they were doing. Shows our guys are completely comfortable in this system now. That will go a long way this year.

Think we are better at de depth than you think with the emergence of Greg Rousseau and if patchan is healthy

I agree the emergence of Rousseau and Patchan is huge, but we basically have 6 guys that can play DE. If two of those get injured (and we all know injuries will happen at some point), we're looking at 4 DEs, which is barely filling out a 2-deep

Willis, Bethel, Martin, Odenigbo all played DE in high school.

The only DL we have who are too big to play DE are probably Miller, Ford, Nesta.

Advertisement
I agree the emergence of Rousseau and Patchan is huge, but we basically have 6 guys that can play DE. If two of those get injured (and we all know injuries will happen at some point), we're looking at 4 DEs, which is barely filling out a 2-deep

And to think 99% of the posters on here automatically threw a RS on Rousseau when he signed on the dotted line. (including me) Thank god he thought otherwise or we would really be screwed.

That is some next level math you are doing.. Just busting balls, Go Canes!

Joyner and Smith can be situational at DE as well, but as far as Depth Chart purposes go you are right it is thin. Not ideal but not panic mode either.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The talent on defense is pretty **** good. In fact, someone had asked me to power rank all 36 players on that side of the ball - so here goes nothin'

J. Johnson
J. Jackson
M. Jackson
G. Willis
M. Pinckney
S. Quarterman
S. Redwine
D. Smith
T. Bandy
J. Garvin
D. Jackson
P. Bethel
A. Carter
J. Ford
D. Ivey
S. Patchan
W. Steed
G. Rousseau
G. Frierson
N. Silvera
R. Finley
B. Jennings
D. Wilder
G. Hall
J. Dean
T. Odenigbo
Z. McCloud
M. Smith
C. Perry
P. Joyner
A. Blades
J. Miller
N. Bethel
R. Knowles
T. Martin
T. McCray

DE - Grade: A- (Accurate if not a bit modest; A )
DT - Grade: A- (B- or C+ due to depth/lack of quality backups)
ILB
- Grade: A- (Whole unit B+; More quality depth; Expect A production this year)
Striker
- Grade: B+
CB
- Grade: A- (B; Lack depth, experience; Rely on too many true FR)
FS
- Grade: A- (Unit A- or B+; Lots to like here)

OVERALL - A- (I can see that. Depends on staying healthy, DT play)

Good post. Just not the DT part. Lol

I mentioned in another thread that the one thing that made me very happy about watching the D in the Spring game was that from the naked eye we didn't seem to give up big plays due to missed assignments. Losing a one on one battle I can live with because that wont happen often against our 1st team D....(Polenday beating Wilder on the big sideline catch, Hightower beating Dean and Frierson one on one for TDs come to mind..)

It looked like everyone knew exactly what they were doing. Shows our guys are completely comfortable in this system now. That will go a long way this year.

I’m sorry but I have to disagree with you here. Granted it was mainly the 2nd teamers/freshman but there were a couple plays where the coverage was very clearly blown and the quarterback simply couldn’t get the ball off to hit the open receiver. The glaring one that came to mind was when we had johnson and mj on the same side and mj was really badly expose with no safety over top on a flat to wheel. Luckily the Qb rolled the opposite direction but the backside coverage was blown wide open. Our defense IS stacked, but there definitely needs to be some more chalk board sessions before LSU.

Advertisement
I’m sorry but I have to disagree with you here. Granted it was mainly the 2nd teamers/freshman but there were a couple plays where the coverage was very clearly blown and the quarterback simply couldn’t get the ball off to hit the open receiver. The glaring one that came to mind was when we had johnson and mj on the same side and mj was really badly expose with no safety over top on a flat to wheel. Luckily the Qb rolled the opposite direction but the backside coverage was blown wide open. Our defense IS stacked, but there definitely needs to be some more chalk board sessions before LSU.

Every defense in history blows coverages once in awhile.

I like the 4-2-5 we're doing. If McCloud starts or plays a lot this year that isn't special teams then I'm convinced he and Manny are having a sexual affair. Based on all the videos I've seen of the spring game Finley looked better in terms of coverage and playing sideline to sideline in the "striker" but I am concern if he can tackle well though. Smith look good stopping the run but he lacks lateral quickness to cover slot WRs IMO.

My biggest problem is yes, we're finally in position to make more plays in terms of leverage, but we aren't getting off blocks fast enough to make them. We still don't have heat seeking missions at DB in the run game either to much hesitation it seems like.

I also like that we weren't constantly running stunts or maybe we were just being plain on D. I hope Manny doesn't try to be so cute this year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back