2018 commit Campbell notices freshmen see the field

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Miami offensive line commit John Campbell from Dr. Phillips HS updated Canesinsight on his senior season.

***​

Campbell’s Dr. Phillips team is 5-2 this season and 2-0 in district play. They are just coming off a tough stretch of games where they played 3 times in 9 days due to Hurricane Irma rescheduling.

The Canes 2018 commit noted that an increase of strength has been his biggest improvement in the last 6 months. He played his junior season weighing almost 280 pounds, but said today that he is at 300 pounds right now.

The athletic tackle prospect told Canesinsight that everything is on track for him to be able to enroll in January, which has been his plan for months. An online course that he is taking now will allow him to get all of his credits needed before heading to Coral Gables in about two and a half months.

“I just need to work hard and be ready to compete with the team,” he said. “It’s going to help me get my feel earlier and get my strength and conditioning where it needs to be. I already know that Kc McDermott is leaving so I need to get in the film and the playbook so I can fight for a position.”

Campbell described what his contact has been like with UM OL coach Stacy Searels.

“He’s pretty much always checking on me, seeing how I’m doing and stuff. I’m not really a talker or whatever. I just stay in my lane and he respects that,” Campbell said.

He added that something that has impressed him is the amount of action the freshmen have received right away.

“I already know they’re going to grow because there’s a lot of young players getting a lot of playing time like Jeff Thomas, Mike Harley, Trajan Bandy, Navaughn Donaldson, and others,” he said. “This is their first year and they’re already on the field, starting, and getting playing time.”

[HUDL]video/3/5283625/59c6cf701761ed0eec2d237b[/HUDL]

Advertisement
Always wanna take guys like this. He has alot of work to get to a big time player..but when i take Tackles they atleast have to have his type size. Did the same with Herbert last year. hIM GETTING IN THE SPRING WILL ONLY HELP. This kid likely will be a 2+ year starter for us

Always wanna take guys like this. He has alot of work to get to a big time player..but when i take Tackles they atleast have to have his type size. Did the same with Herbert last year. hIM GETTING IN THE SPRING WILL ONLY HELP. This kid likely will be a 2+ year starter for us

What's the biggest obstacle to early PT for this guy? Footwork? Strength? Adjusting to competition level?

Advertisement
Advertisement

What's the biggest obstacle to early PT for this guy? Footwork? Strength? Adjusting to competition level?

For him it will be Strength. I think he has solid feet...it will be strength and comp level..though he does play solid to good comp in his area.

Advertisement
Agree with you.

He's got gifts that can't be taught, legit 6'5 300+lbs with long arms & is a natural athlete, he can move really well for an OT.

He would probably be a Redshirt as Freshman, but I think he has huge upside with us down the line.

What impressed me when I first posted on him was how he held up against Southridge in the 8A title game last year. And that line was loaded with 4 D1 Defensive Lineman & he held his own.

Do you see him as LT or RT here? Cause I think Z Hillary will be a good RT for us after St. Louis is gone.

Last edited:
Wasn't impressed with his junior film or camp film.

Hopefully when I watch his senior film it'll show improvement. Wanna see that dawg show.

Advertisement

Hopefully when I watch his senior film it'll show improvement. Wanna see that dawg show.

What? No one gives a sh$$ whether you think he shows improvement. Lol. U think searles and richt are sitting around waiting fir your seal of approval?

His junior film was impressive actually, he just didn’t do as well in the camp series. He would look dominant and then get beat at camps. 1 on 1s without pads is really meaningless imo

What? No one gives a sh$$ whether you think he shows improvement. Lol. U think searles and richt are sitting around waiting fir your seal of approval?

Na they're probably too busy $hoving their ****$ down Ur throat fir them to check thi$. lol.

Campbell has the three things you can't teach-- athleticism, length and aggression. He is a finisher and almost kills somebody on the first play of his midseason clips.

The key for him is getting stronger. There is usually a learning curve for young tackles.

Advertisement
Back