2018 2019 will be rough

I understand that impacting the elite recruits we were going after but there's no lower end 3 stars that we are after? Especially guys from Florida.
Okay well that I'm not sure of. It is crazy because it seems as if the fbi thing has scared of everyone we were after. That's disappointing. It really stops all the momentum we had in getting good recruiting classes.

Advertisement
I understand that impacting the elite recruits we were going after but there's no lower end 3 stars that we are after? Especially guys from Florida.
Maybe Coach L didn't want to go that route. We were hard after several top guys and it looked like we had a good shot at a few of them. He may have rather taken no one than some shoddy 3 star. We only lose 1 player overall depth-wise since we get two redshirts.

Maybe Coach L didn't want to go that route. We were hard after several top guys and it looked like we had a good shot at a few of them. He may have rather taken no one than some shoddy 3 star. We only lose 1 player overall depth-wise since we get two redshirts.
Yea that's definitely a possibility. You don't necessarily want some scrubby 2 and 3 star guys just to fill out a team. But I hope we get a grad transfer or 2 because if we lose Lonnie AND Bruce.. That will hurt us. We have no idea what we're getting in Gak. And Wilson played 1 season at a little school so I'm not sure how he will do in the ACC. Plus Miller is a bum. I don't like how the team looks next year. Gotta get some more help.

I think we are fine as far as Forwards/Centers go, but Gaurds we only have 1 PG and 2 SGs.

Yea that's definitely a possibility. You don't necessarily want some scrubby 2 and 3 star guys just to fill out a team. But I hope we get a grad transfer or 2 because if we lose Lonnie AND Bruce.. That will hurt us. We have no idea what we're getting in Gak. And Wilson played 1 season at a little school so I'm not sure how he will do in the ACC. Plus Miller is a bum. I don't like how the team looks next year. Gotta get some more help.

Lonnie says here he's going to think about his future, so we have a shot. Have a feeling the millions of dollars will win out though.
http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpos...ming-lonnie-walker-for-miami-hurricanes-loss/

Advertisement
Does Coach L actively scout South America and Europe for players? Seems like they have a few good basketball players in Argentina and Spain. I suppose they are ineligible if they have played in one of the pro leagues, which is too bad as I think Miami would do well with Spanish speaking players who would be fine with a "one and done", and get looked at by NBA teams after a good year in college.

Yes I believe he will leave. Although Bruce thought about his future and decided to come back for a 2nd season so who knows. I want them both back!
I really think Bruce could benefit from a 3rd year after poor shooting this year. He's just a year older than his grade suggests. Lonnie might not have as much to gain, but he could definitely improve a ton. Maybe be a top 5-10 pick instead of top 15.

From ESPN

Who is lost: Ja'Quan Newton scored more than 1,000 points in his four seasons in Coral Gables. He committed to the Hurricanes when UM was coming off its truly historic run to an outright 2012-13 regular-season ACC championship. Now, Newton leaves at a point where the program is perhaps stronger than at any time since that storied season -- strong enough, perhaps, to weather early departures by two key players. Lonnie Walker IV and Bruce Brown could surprise us -- you never really know -- and maybe they’ll be back for 2018-19. But right now, both players are projected as 2018 first-round picksby Jonathan Givony. Typically, collegians showing that profile in March are long gone by November.
Who is added: Miles Wilson, a 6-foot-5 wing who sat out last season after transferring from Mount St. Mary’s, is now eligible. As a freshman for the Mountaineers in 2016-17, Wilson started 24 games and showed an ability to score efficiently from both sides of the arc that’s uncommon for first-year players.
What it means for next season: Assume for the sake of discussion that Walker and Brown do indeed jump to the NBA. In that case, well, Miami should still be really tough in 2018-19. Walker’s being eyed by the next level, quite rightly, because of his vast potential. That being said, he was very good rather than sensational as a freshman wing, and there’s a fair chance that Wilson and/or Lawrence can come close to duplicating the stats we saw from Larranaga’s prized recruit last season. As for Brown, we’ve already seen what Miami looks like without him. The Hurricanes beat North Carolina in Chapel Hill without Brown, who was lost for the season to a foot injury in January. So enough about who’s (probably) leaving; let’s focus on who returns. Larranaga has said that if Lykes were 6-foot-6 instead of 5-foot-7, “he’d be Michael Jordan.” Bold words! Seriously, though, the point is that Lykes is a tough point guard who, rather incredibly, made 54 percent of his high-volume 2s (albeit on moderate minutes) against the ACC. Vasiljevic and Lawrence give the Canes two legitimate perimeter threats, and Larranaga will have size to burn with Huell, Ebuka Izundu and Sam Waardenburg.
Trending: Up. It’s a credit to Larranaga that not only can his program sign players like Walker and Brown, but, more important, that his program can still contend after players like that, presumably, leave. That appears to be where the Hurricanes will land in 2019.

Advertisement
He forgot to mention Gak. He is another body up front. Plus Miller lol maybe he improves like Huell and Izundu and Jekiri and Gamble in the past. But next year will not be great unless we add a couple more solid players.

I'm not sure that the loss of Lonnie, Bruce, and Newton, combined with the addition of Wilson and Gak, results in us being that worse of a team.

After watching Coach L for many years at George Mason and with our Canes, I tend to think that his best attribute is developing players for multiple years to play in a team system. Of course it helps to have guys with the talent and skill sets of Bruce and Lonnie, but I don't think many people her believe that we maximized their talents this year (or last year with respect to Bruce).

IMO, this is a huge off-season for both the coaches and the players. On the coaching front, we absolutely need to figure out what we are doing on defense. Defense travels, and when you can't stop anyone from scoring, you are always susceptible to playing close games.

The players also need to put in the work, but if Huell, Lykes, Wardenburg, Wilson, Izundu, etc., can all develop their games to another level over the off-season, there is a lot there to work with.

That’s what I’m saying, how can we have no one? Also many teams were implicated

Advertisement
We really need Bruce to come back. If he can come back, we can be better than we were this year after we lost Bruce. You're basically replacing Walker for Brown and Newton for Miles. All the other players come back and will be better since L develops his players extremely well. We lose both and we have to get some grad transfers which will be tough especially if this FBI investigation doesn't go away.

I have never advocated for a player to stay when there are millions$$$ immediately available to him BUT for some reason I believe that Lonnie doesn't want to go out like he will if he leaves this year ....knowing that it was in his hands but he couldn't close the deal in a winnable game in the NCAA tourney.

I know that $$ can make you forget all that and that there is definitely the risk of injury BUT the flip side is being in the Top 5 draftees pays a lot better than simply being a 1st round draft choice.

I'm just not sure that his going is a done deal when he can certainly greatly improve his value by staying.

Whatever he decides , I'm sure he'll do what's best for him and his family and I wish him the best

Last edited:
FSU's Phil Cofer just got an extra year of eligibility to allow him to play this coming season.

Advertisement
Worst-case scenario is that Mack can't play next season. Even then we'll have 10 available players and all but one has some experience.

Huell
Lykes
Lawrence
Johnson
Wilson
Vasiljevic
Waardenburg
Izundu
Gak
Miller

Any idea when a decision on Mack will be made? What's the status now? Has he/UM requested a waiver?

we are so thin. brown and walker gone. nit at best.

Ridiculous hot take.

Brown was already gone for most of 2018. Walker was not very helpful for most of 2017. So we had about one combined full season of Brown-Walker.

To that, we add the rest of our returnees, with one more year of experience, plus the new guys (transfers, etc.).

And, with that, it's "NIT at best"? Yeah, it's way too early to make that assessment. As we have seen before, Coach L is at his best (at Miami at least) with his more-experienced/not-quite-star-laden teams.

We will have some struggles with the ACC blue-bloods, but there is no reason to think that this team isn't capable of putting together an NCAA resume. "NIT at best" is just not true. At least not at this point.

Advertisement
Back