2018-19 Season tips off tonight!

Lawrence belongs at SF imo. Saw him get bodied too many times last year.

So unless Johnson overtakes DJ at SG it looks like he's 6th man.

Advertisement
91-61

Starting lineup was not what I’d expect

DH looked good. Double double

Ballhandling behind CL will be interesting

Gak looked as skinny as Manute Bol

Wanted to see more of Mack

Lykes is the only true PG on the roster. I thought the coaching staff should have taken on a grad transfer point guard for this season but that did not happen. I expect Anthony Lawrence to handle the ball more and facilitate the offense. 8 assist in the exhibition is a good start.

I think our best lineup is Lykes/Johnson/Amp/Huellnandez/Izundu, and that will come to light once we start ACC play. I like DJ a lot, and he can shoot the ball well, but I don't think he's a starting caliber ACC guard. For the non-con slate, seeing Johnson/DJ split time is fine.

For now, I think Johnson will have to unseat DJ at the 2. If Johnson can show he can handle the ball with Lykes on the bench, maybe having a 3 guard rotation of Lykes/Johnson/DJ can work well enough. Lykes is our best ball handler, but he needs to keep it under control a bit more now that he's running the show at the 1. Less gas pedal, more handles with your head up.

Huellnandez looks like he is poised for a bigger season. I liked how much more aggressive he was on the offensive end. He seems to have more of a mid-range game than he has in the past. I think he might even be able to extend out to the 3pt line some here & there.

Izundu is still wild, but that seems to work against the more polished ACC big men he goes up against...it's odd. He's unconventional but it works.

Amp about messed around and got a triple double last night - 11 points, 8 assists, 8 rebounds. Added 3 blocks too. Nice showing. 0-3 from the FT line though...needs to clean that up.

I want to see more out of Waardenburg/Gak/Mack...they might improve through the non-con slate enough to help us in ACC play, but they have to develop and find a role on this team other than another 5 fouls to give each.

Overall - our 3pt shooting looked much improved compared to last season. We averaged 36.3% last season, shot 48% last night. Now, I don't foresee us keeping that clip up for a season, but if we can kick that average up around 39-40%, it will lead to better scoring balance and open up the lane a bit more for guys like Amp/Johnson/Huellnandez to drive and finish.

According to Coach L in the postgame press conference, Waardenberg left the game with a cramp last night.

Advertisement
Agreed. Never understood why we recruited him. His high school tape looked atrocious. He will never be an impact player in the ACC.
Clearly, we recruited him because he is 7 feet tall. I guess the coaches thought they could mold him. Hasn't happened.

How often does a 3rd year player redshirt (not because of injury or transfer) and have a decent tenure?

I mean redshirt during his 3rd year. Also, I am looking for a player who produced almost nothing their first two years.

It's obviously unusual, but Kelly Olynyk did this at Gonzaga and had a monster last season and was a lottery pick after leaving early.

Advertisement
It's obviously unusual, but Kelly Olynyk did this at Gonzaga and had a monster last season and was a lottery pick after leaving early.

I think KO had considerably better stats his first two years. Would you disagree? One was somewhat productive and the other was useless.

Advertisement
Back