2017 vs 2018 Canes

DualThreat

Redshirt Freshman
Instead of starting the 63rd Fire Mark Richt thread, I’m curious where y’all think this year’s decline came from. Granted last year was somewhat of a “smoke and mirrors” 10-0, but I recall most fans being pretty happy with the team despite the thud at the end of the season.

What factors do you think turned 10-3 into 7-5? The coaching staff is virtually the same, we didn’t lose too much talent to graduation or the NFL, the schedule was arguably significantly easier this year, our defense didn’t miss a beat, and we had a great group of freshman join the team this season.

Discuss

Advertisement
Leaders on the offensive side of the ball. Losing Ahmmon Richards was also huge. An a lot of people didn't realize how much of a leader Braxton Berrios was for us. Without the leaders to settle the young kids down to say hey we are not out of this yet. The team tried turning to Malik but they saw a guy who was lost and didn't prove it on the field. Richt looked lost as well and the team just spiraled during the 4 game losing streak.

Leaders on the offensive side of the ball. Losing Ahmmon Richards was also huge. An a lot of people didn't realize how much of a leader Braxton Berrios was for us. Without the leaders to settle the young kids down to say hey we are not out of this yet. The team tried turning to Malik but they saw a guy who was lost and didn't prove it on the field. Richt looked lost as well and the team just spiraled during the 4 game losing streak.

Richards missed a significant portion of last season with his hamstring didn’t he? Berrios really brought some intangibles to the team though.

We got lucky last year against GT, UNC, and FSU, this was just a regression to the mean.

Teams had more film on Rosier so they knew how to limit him. Perry wasn't ready, Weldon was immature, and Williams made some dumb choices. We lost our 4 best receivers from last season (Berrios, Herndon, Richards, and Thomas) and our current ones can't catch consistently. Our RBs didn't step up enough to give us consistent play. Our O-Line is still porous at best and can't get a push. And the play calling left something to be desired (square peg, round hole) You can't score 14 points or less for 3 straight games and expect to win.

Miami had a soft season, an experienced QB, and a dominant defense. And they came up with a 7-5 record. It's an absolute embarrassment. But unfortunately, it is what it is.

Advertisement
"I realize that last year was smoke and mirrors but I still am seeking an answer to the question I myself just answered"
-OP

Here's a clue OP: for at least 2 of our 5 losses, we couldn't pull out miracle catches to win in the last minute. Oh, we also didn't have 10,000 turnovers every game.

On top of all of that, we have 1 legitimate coach on the staff, who unfortunately isn't in charge of scoring points.

Hope that helps.

Richards missed a significant portion of last season with his hamstring didn’t he? Berrios really brought some intangibles to the team though.
-Lack of explosive plays in 2018 compared to 2017. Miami’s offense was inefficient in 2017 but they got explosive tds quite a bit, this year the offense was still inefficient but we lacked the amount of explosive tds we had last year.

-Everything that could go wrong in games did in that 4 game losing streak

-Lack of explosive plays in 2018 compared to 2017. Miami’s offense was inefficient in 2017 but they got explosive tds quite a bit, this year the offense was still inefficient but we lacked the amount of explosive tds we had last year.

-Everything that could go wrong in games did in that 4 game losing streak
Oh so you mean that it isn't realistic or normal for a team to rely on "explosive plays" (i.e. a disjointed offense that is boom or bust) and that you can't sustain such play in most seasons?

Oh so you mean that it isn't realistic or normal for a team to rely on "explosive plays" (i.e. a disjointed offense that is boom or bust) and that you can't sustain such play in most seasons?
The drop off was drastic though

“Against Power Five teams, the 2018 offense scored six touchdowns of at least 20 yards. In 2017, the Hurricanes scored 15 touchdowns of at least 20 yards against Power Five opponents in the regular season”

https://247sports.com/college/miami...Wrong-With-The-Offense-125594292/#125594292_6

That matters especially in those games like uva, duke and Georgia tech for sure. If the offense had a pulse vs Boston college and the defense would have showed up we win that game too

Advertisement
this is a good point. there were no real leaders on the field and thats very important of course.

By the middle/end of 2017 defenses knew what was coming, in 2018 they knew the play pre snap. Plus line and qb play regressed as did receivers pass catching.

Also, 2017 saw a lot of luck. Especially late in close games where rosier likely by accident threw well placed balls.

“Against Power Five teams, the 2018 offense scored six touchdowns of at least 20 yards. In 2017, the Hurricanes scored 15 touchdowns of at least 20 yards against Power Five opponents in the regular season”

https://247sports.com/college/miami...Wrong-With-The-Offense-125594292/#125594292_6

That matters especially in those games like uva, duke and Georgia tech for sure. If the offense had a pulse vs Boston college and the defense would have showed up we win that game too

Maybe u haven’t heard... but we don’t need big plays.

Wow that is quite the stat.

Advertisement
At some point teams were going to figure out Rosier was really this bad. It took til the Pittsburg game for that to happen. You're not going anywhere without a qb.

At some point teams were going to figure out Rosier was really this bad. It took til the Pittsburg game for that to happen. You're not going anywhere without a qb.
It’s more than that because Perry has taken half our snaps under center. Unfair to blame Rosier for this entire season

Advertisement
other D-Coordinators spend all offseason getting better while Richt and co spend it tweeting bible verses, sitting on their hands and patting themselves on the back for going 10-3 and made zero improvements to their 1960’ offense. And that’s how you end up 93rd in total offense. If you’re not getting better you’re getting worse

Instead of starting the 63rd Fire Mark Richt thread, I’m curious where y’all think this year’s decline came from. Granted last year was somewhat of a “smoke and mirrors” 10-0, but I recall most fans being pretty happy with the team despite the thud at the end of the season.

What factors do you think turned 10-3 into 7-5? The coaching staff is virtually the same, we didn’t lose too much talent to graduation or the NFL, the schedule was arguably significantly easier this year, our defense didn’t miss a beat, and we had a great group of freshman join the team this season.

Discuss
Do we really need to relieve the 2018 debacle. Basically everything went wrong that could.

2017 Top 4 Receivers - Berrios, Herndon, Richards, Thomas
2018 Top 4 Receivers - Thomas, Cager, Jordan, Harley

With Richards being hurt all year, I think the drop off in our receivers ended up being much steeper than anyone was expecting.

Advertisement
Back