2017 vs 2018 Canes

Injuries. Our offense was plenty good enough to go undefeated in 2017 during the reg season. Major injuries stifled the offense and lack of leadership/QB play killed this year.

We are a leader on offense away from being an extremely good team.

Advertisement
I'll be the first to say that for some odd reason and as much as I hate our offense, Richt isn't creative with his play calling. I'm sure he has other plays in the playbook but for some **** reason he doesn't call those plays. Some games he calls certain plays and some games he doesn't. That's what bothers me.

Outside of probably the top 10 teams in the nation, a few bounces one way or another is all that separates most 10 win teams from most 7-8 win teams.

Aside from miscellaneous breaks, there's not a huge difference in what we've seen this year versus last year. I won't bother even bringing up the defense because they've been fantastic, much better than last year's very solid effort.

Offensively, quarterback and receiver play are the main culprits. The offensive line was terrible last year too. This team missed senior leadership at receiver without Berrios and Herndon. When they needed a big catch on third down to save a drive, who could they go to? Richards got hurt, Jeff Thomas was occasionally great but then he went crazy, Cager and Harley had drop issues, the freshmen all had some type of issue keeping them off the field or hurting their performance. Langham is a fifth option at best, not an every down player. No veteran presence at tight end, even if just for a leadership role. The quarterback spot has been discussed a ton here but in a nutshell, Rosier was exposed and actually regressed. They seemed to gain some momentum when they made the move to Perry but pulling him early in the Virginia game killed it. I don't know what goes on in practice or in the QB film room but for whatever reason, Richt was too scared to play any of the young guys until the season was already in the trash.

Honestly, if you would have told me they'd have big improvement in rushing yards per game and third down conversions at the beginning of the season, I'd have booked tickets to Charlotte. Quarterback is a mess. Receiver is worse. There's hope because of the amount of young talent at both positions but man, the have looked bad this year.

DTP's first line say's it all IMO. Looking at each of our losses it's easy to find a few plays where, had they gone the other, way we may get two or three more wins. Last year we caught the breaks.

Instead of starting the 63rd Fire Mark Richt thread, I’m curious where y’all think this year’s decline came from. Granted last year was somewhat of a “smoke and mirrors” 10-0, but I recall most fans being pretty happy with the team despite the thud at the end of the season.

What factors do you think turned 10-3 into 7-5? The coaching staff is virtually the same, we didn’t lose too much talent to graduation or the NFL, the schedule was arguably significantly easier this year, our defense didn’t miss a beat, and we had a great group of freshman join the team this season.

Discuss
jonstewart.gif

Advertisement
Pretty simple answer, imo... lack of leaders on offense and unsustainable turnover margin. Remember, we nearly lost to fsu, should have lost to GT, were getting crushed by UVA and were tight with toledo at half. We could have easily been 7-5 last year. Turnovers and crucial plays at the end of some games bailed us out. This year it caught up to us. In fact, it caught up to us at end of last season.

100% luck. We are the team that went 0-3 to end the year, not the one that started 10-0. 2 lucky plays against FSU and GT got us to 10-0. You could also argue we got lucky against UNC as well.

Outside of probably the top 10 teams in the nation, a few bounces one way or another is all that separates most 10 win teams from most 7-8 win teams.

Aside from miscellaneous breaks, there's not a huge difference in what we've seen this year versus last year. I won't bother even bringing up the defense because they've been fantastic, much better than last year's very solid effort.

Offensively, quarterback and receiver play are the main culprits. The offensive line was terrible last year too. This team missed senior leadership at receiver without Berrios and Herndon. When they needed a big catch on third down to save a drive, who could they go to? Richards got hurt, Jeff Thomas was occasionally great but then he went crazy, Cager and Harley had drop issues, the freshmen all had some type of issue keeping them off the field or hurting their performance. Langham is a fifth option at best, not an every down player. No veteran presence at tight end, even if just for a leadership role. The quarterback spot has been discussed a ton here but in a nutshell, Rosier was exposed and actually regressed. They seemed to gain some momentum when they made the move to Perry but pulling him early in the Virginia game killed it. I don't know what goes on in practice or in the QB film room but for whatever reason, Richt was too scared to play any of the young guys until the season was already in the trash.

Honestly, if you would have told me they'd have big improvement in rushing yards per game and third down conversions at the beginning of the season, I'd have booked tickets to Charlotte. Quarterback is a mess. Receiver is worse. There's hope because of the amount of young talent at both positions but man, the have looked bad this year.

Agreed - Last year could have easily won 11 games or lost 5-6 games. This year easily could have won 11 games.

Advertisement
100% luck. We are the team that went 0-3 to end the year, not the one that started 10-0. 2 lucky plays against FSU and GT got us to 10-0. You could also argue we got lucky against UNC as well.

Incorrect, those two teams are exactly the same team. Besides the Clemson loss, which was a blowout to a team clearly more talented, the other two losses could have easily been wins had a few things gone the other way. You can't say it's all luck when your team wins close games but totally ignore luck when the team loses close games. Besides, if anything Georgia Tech got lucky last year when they returned an onside kick for a touchdown. That's a fluke play if there ever was one.

end thread

Instead of starting the 63rd Fire Mark Richt thread, I’m curious where y’all think this year’s decline came from. Granted last year was somewhat of a “smoke and mirrors” 10-0, but I recall most fans being pretty happy with the team despite the thud at the end of the season.

What factors do you think turned 10-3 into 7-5? The coaching staff is virtually the same, we didn’t lose too much talent to graduation or the NFL, the schedule was arguably significantly easier this year, our defense didn’t miss a beat, and we had a great group of freshman join the team this season.

Discuss

QB selection during spring practice...

Advertisement
Agreed - Last year could have easily won 11 games or lost 5-6 games. This year easily could have won 11 games.

I think we overachieved considering that we miraculously ended up with the top D in the nation.... what would have happened if we had our normal 20 - 30 ranked D...

5 - 7 probably...

Advertisement
Back