2017 Safety "I'm 100% committed to Miami"

View as article

ErickMarreroU

Staff Writer
Premium
4554541.jpg

2017 Miami Southridge Safety Billy Gibson Jr. has been committed to Miami for over 7 months now. But while he remains solid to the Canes, other schools are continuing to recruit the prized defensive back.

“West Virginia, Miss St. and Alabama are still actively recruiting me, they’re telling me i can come in and make an impact at their school, Gibson said at a high school media day hosted by the Miami Dolphins. “But I’m 100% committed to Miami.”

The Miami coaching staff made Gibson a priority early in the process when he committed on a visit with his teammates at Miami Southridge, and Gibson continues to praise the Canes now

“The Miami coaching staff shows me a lot of love, Coach Banda, Coach Rumph are always talking to me.” Gibson said “Now that national signing day is a couple of months away, the coaching staff is recruiting me even harder.”

While Gibson isn’t a vocal leader in this class like Deejay Dallas and DJ Johnson, he is still doing his part to recruit one of his teammates, 2017 CB Shawn Davis, who’s scheduled to make his announcement August 26th.

“I’m always in his ear about Miami, i tell him about all the things we can do together in college.” Gibson Jr. said. “It’s between Miami and Florida but anything can happen.”

Gibson is on a loaded Miami Southridge team who many see as the favorite to win the 8A state title. But while the team is very talented, Gibson is staying focused on the work ahead

“I don't really listen to the hype, we didn’t perform how we wanted to last season so we have to stay focused and prepare for anything.”

Screen Shot 2016-08-08 at 5.29.53 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2016-08-08 at 6.13.24 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2016-08-08 at 6.15.32 PM.jpg

Thoughts on Gibson: Don’t let the stars or the rankings fool you. Billy Gibson Jr. is a ball hawk in the secondary and he reminds me of former Miami Southridge Safety and current Miami Hurricane Jamal Carter. Gibson’s hard hitting ability and defensive instincts make him a huge part of this class and I expect him to see the field early as a Miami Hurricane.

Advertisement
Interesting comments about Davis, I wonder if he has a committable offer after Amari Carter commits. Seems were done at the position considering DJ is also going to be playing DB.

I'm a big fan of Gibson, and I know Banda loves him. Interesting to hear that Saban wants him too, makes it that much sweeter when he signs for us in the end.

So Gibson is a ball hawk in the secondary yet he reminds you of Jamal Carter?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Also I get the feeling Shawn Davis could have screwed himself out of an offer. Let me put it to you guys. If Davis wants to come do we take him? Do we wait to evaluate his senior year?

Advertisement
Bama is still recruiting him, smh... I hate Nick Saban.

That should also let some of you star whores know that the top programs in the country know exactly how good our guys are, even the underrated players.

This is great news.
Trajan Bandy, DJ Johnson, and Deejay Dallas all being the vocal leaders of the class may lead to a surprise committ down the line.

Advertisement
Also I get the feeling Shawn Davis could have screwed himself out of an offer. Let me put it to you guys. If Davis wants to come do we take him? Do we wait to evaluate his senior year?

Davis is a take they will take all play makers . Henderson could end up a wr If CB doesn't work out for him . I like to see him with the ball in his hands with his game changing speed.

Davis is a pretty solid player, if it came down to it I would rather have any of our current commits over him as well as Amari Carter. Really taking him imo depends on what you want to do with Deejay.

Seems like Deejay is set on playing corner here (my preference) but if we got Davis, he could go to WR. I guess it depends on how we feel about WR recruiting too. We could steal Harley and possibly get Holloman and leave Deejay at CB.

Interesting comments about Davis, I wonder if he has a committable offer after Amari Carter commits. Seems were done at the position considering DJ is also going to be playing DB.

Carter is a safety and they are recruiting davis at cb. So i doubt carter would effect davis if he commited.

Advertisement

Carter is a safety and they are recruiting davis at cb. So i doubt carter would effect davis if he commited.

But we have Edwards and DJ Dallas who could play either DB spot and DJ at WR as well. So you have to take in account where those two are going to end up. If Dallas stays on Defense i honestly think Shawn Davis isn't worth the offer considering the 2018 talent. Frierson and Jobe are already better than Davis as Juniors. I think were done at DB after Carter.

CB
Henderson
Bandy

SS
Carter
Gibson

CB/SS Edwards
CB/SS/WR Dallas
CB Shawn Davis?

Advertisement
Back