2017 JUCO RB D'Anthony Hopkins

Advertisement
Any particular reason he hasn't signed yet? Does he have any offers?

If I had to guess, he had some grade issues coming out of HS and he probably is now close to getting the credits
for his AA, which would make him eligible for 4 year schools.

Advertisement
Link
https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2016/nov/02/cuero-graduate-makes-most-of-jc-experience/

Cuero graduate makes most of JC experience

D'Anthony Hopkins took to Twitter when Texas failed to convert a first down against Baylor after giving the ball to quarterback Tyrone Swoopes, who had lined up at running back.

"University of Texas if y'all need a running back hit me up," Hopkins tweeted. "No need to put a Qb there."

Texas might be wise to take Hopkins up on his offer given the way he performed during his sophomore season at Blinn College, which ended with a 5-4 record.

Hopkins rushed for 1,114 yards and 18 touchdowns in nine games, and only fumbled once in his 130 carries.

"I just have a good O-line," Hopkins said when asked about finishing as the National Junior College Athletic Association's second leading rusher.

But anyone who watched him rush for 2,907 yards and 43 touchdowns during his senior season at Cuero, or run for 369 yards and four touchdowns this season against then No. 3 Tyler College knows better.

"What he's shown is he can do it at a high level," said Blinn interim head coach Ryan Mahon. "These are freshman and sophomores who are Division I caliber athletes and he's proven that not only can he do it at high school, but that he's an elite college athlete."

Mahon got his first look at Hopkins, who played sparingly as a freshman, during spring drills and made sure he was a major part of the offense after taking over as interim coach when previous coach Keith Thomas retired.

"He's a giant human being," Mahon said of the 6-foot-2, 220-pound Hopkins. "I had a chance to watch him play and he was obviously a guy who doesn't go down very easily and he has that combination of size and strength and speed as well. That's what really jumped out at me."

Hopkins' success on the field has landed him Division I offers from New Mexico, Wyoming, Utah State, Alabama-Birmingham and Western Kentucky.

But his progress in the classroom is what has caught the attention of his mother, Geri Armstrong.

Hopkins had committed to Texas San-Antonio while he was at Cuero, but didn't have the grades or test scores to play at the Division I level and wound up in Brenham.

"I think that's what D'Anthony needed," Armstrong said. "It's been a blessing to have him go there. The head coach they had last year (Thomas) kind of took him under his wing and helped him to turn around. From his senior to his freshman year at Blinn was a total turnaround.

"I thank God on a daily basis that he has football to push him and to do what he has to do in the classroom," she added. "The coaches have worked well with him."

Hopkins knew he had to do better academically, and is thankful for the support he's received at Blinn.

"It's a good place," Hopkins said. "It's like Cuero being in a small town with small-town people. We have good coaches and it feels like a family."

Hopkins remains much the same quiet person he was in high school.

He rarely did interviews this season, but has shown signs of coming out of his shell at Blinn.

"When you get to know him, he's kind of a prankster," Mahon said. "He's kind of a joker when he gets going. He's a kid we love to have in the locker room."

Hopkins insists he was joking when he tweeted during the Baylor-Texas game, but would like the opportunity to play in Texas for the next two years.

He plans to start taking official visits in January.

Wherever Hopkins ends up, he will have the support of his mother, who attended all but one of his games this season.

"We had a discussion," Armstrong said. "With all my kids, I leave the choice up to them. I give them advice. At this point, D'Anthony said he will put any color uniform on."

Hopkins won't be at Blinn next year, but Armstrong will still be traveling to Brenham.

D'Anthony's younger brother, Zech, who also played at Cuero, will be playing defensive end for the Buccaneers after a redshirt season.

"We can't not have a Hopkins on our team," Mahon said. "We've got to have a Hopkins around."

If he were here for 1 year (2017) would be a good pick-up but if we took him he has 2 years of eligibility to play and would tie up a schollie for 2018. Have to consider the value for next 2 years.

Advertisement
If he ran track, he a take all day.

He was a shot putter.

I prefer my Texas shot putter to look like this. What you know about those big girls with a pretty smile Mr Herndon.

m9.jpg

We will be fine at RB this year with Walton, Homer and Choc. The studs will join us in 18.

Homer is unproven (even though I'm a huge fan), and choc is still rehabbing. We need depth this year so we can win at least 10 games in order for us to keep our '18 commits

This will impact our scholarships for 2018... **** that! We're not playing for a championship next year anyways and are bringing in two legit studs at RB at
No it actually won't because the rollover from schollys is still in the 17 class.

With Gus & Yearby leaving, that gave us more flexibility... The staff has calculated the scholly count just fine, they'll never be a time where we're missing on people due to being short on numbers for the following class.

They wouldn't even consider a JUCO if it would negatively affect the numbers for 2018.

It will count against the 85, thus still impact all classes by 1 for the next 3 years... , no?

Also, no reason to think Choc won't be healthy to start the season, making this kid the 4th string RB ... That coupled with Lingard and Camron coming next year... not worth it to me.

Advertisement
This will impact our scholarships for 2018... **** that! We're not playing for a championship next year anyways and are bringing in two legit studs at RB at
No it actually won't because the rollover from schollys is still in the 17 class.

With Gus & Yearby leaving, that gave us more flexibility... The staff has calculated the scholly count just fine, they'll never be a time where we're missing on people due to being short on numbers for the following class.

They wouldn't even consider a JUCO if it would negatively affect the numbers for 2018.

Taking this kid, or any transfer, would in fact reduce the maximum number of kids we can sign in the current cycle. Now, the staff may have already accounted for that, but with the way we are recruiting right now, I'd rather have the scholarship available for a stud out of high school.

Last edited:
If he were here for 1 year (2017) would be a good pick-up but if we took him he has 2 years of eligibility to play and would tie up a schollie for 2018. Have to consider the value for next 2 years.

He would reduce the number we can take in 2018 regardless.

while i am in favor of us adding a JUCO or grad transfer back for depth, it is also true that it would cost us a spot in the 2018 class.

any new player we enroll before the fall, regardless of being a JUCO or grad transfer, will count against our 25/year initial counter for 2017. this in turn will reduce the amount of 2018 EE's we can count backward to 2017, thus decreasing the total amount of 2018 kids we can bring in.

Advertisement
I love the idea of DJ Johnson playing both sides of the ball. putting him in with certain packages is a great idea. with our current roster, we can find places to plug in RB depth.

Advertisement
Back