Lawrence
Waardenburg
Gak

Miller

Advertisement
[video=youtube;_pglzRrQkV0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pglzRrQkV0[/video]

[video=youtube;kOd5u-KWrcY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOd5u-KWrcY[/video]

[video=youtube;nNqQvi5yubM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNqQvi5yubM[/video]

At the beginning of the year I expected us to make the NCAAT. Then I saw us play, and I thought we were an NIT team. We exceeded that, and overachieved. We probably finished about where we should have finished, 1st/2nd round exit. No one thought we'd get thumped, but it happens. We did. We also beat UNC, Duke, UVa (on the road) and some other very good teams. We were a good team. We have the chance to be special next year. We could be more talented than 2012-2013. Two first round picks in Brown and Walker. Another 5-star in Huell who'll have to live up to it. Other very good players in Lykes and Gak. I still think DJ is going to be good as he fits into his role. Amp still has a role on this team. The Rion Brown or TMJ role from 2013. His numbers this year were similar, but he was asked to do more this year, and struggled. We'll see what we have in Waardenburg, and anything we get from Miller will be a plus. Also, I think Newton has a role if he plays like did against Cuse and last night. He should be a spark off the bench and the 6th man role, which I think he will be next year.

I've said this all year, but I'll say it again because a lot of you don't understand, or are living in this dumbass "now" generation instant gratification. Coach L is a building a program. Not a season. A program. I don't think some of you understand how mediocre we were from Perry Clark through Frank Haith. We went to 1 NCAA tournament from 2002 until L's second year in 2013. That's bad. And, we had only been to 5 in our history before L got here (and L has gotten us to 3 in 6 years). 6 appearances in 70 years (we didn't have a team from 1971-1985, but started playing in 1926), and 3 in the last 6 under L. We never had a winning record in the ACC before L got here. We've had winning records in 5 of his 6 years.

Here are our records before L, going back to Perry Clark:

16-13, 8-8
24-8, 10-6
11-17, 4-12
14-16, 4-12
--------------

ACC/ Frank Haith

16-13, 7-9
18-16, 7-9
12-20, 4-12
23-11, 8-8
19-13, 7-9
20-13, 4-12
21-15, 6-10

Larranaga

20-13, 9-7
29-7, 15-3
17-16, 7-11
25-13, 10-8
27-8, 13-5
21-12, 10-8

Again, this wasn't going to be built in 1 day. Someone said to me, well look what Donovan did at Florida. Well, he had losing seasons his first two seasons. Yes, he made the NCAA finals in his 4th year, but people forget, UF was in the Final Four under Lon Kruger 3 years before Donovan got there. If Larranaga had come right after Hamilton's run from 1997-2000, then, maybe, someone would have a tiny argument, but the numbers speak for themselves. He's won the ACC regular season and tournament title. He's made 2 Sweet 16s. He's gotten Miami to 3 NCAAT's in 6 years, and 2 in a row, the last being in a rebuilding year where he, himself, thought we were going to suck. He brought in, arguably the best recruiting class in school history last year, only to follow it up with a better one for next year. Like I said, he's building a program. When you're a program, and you make the NCAAs every year, or a 4 of 5 years, which I expect us to do from here on out, you're going to have years when you go 1 and done in the tourney. Duke loses to Mercer. It happens. Now, I'm in no way comparing us to Duke, we're not, but that's the NCAAT. George Mason goes to the Final Four, Michigan State loses to 15 seed Middle TN.

Advertisement
I think the incoming freshmen will really have to step up because other than Brown, I don't see a lot of natural offense elsewhere. Huell needs to be a bigger presence...rebounding and defense primarily. From what I saw this year, he needs a lot of work on his offensive game. Losing Reed is big.

Lawrence either needs to improve a lot, get buried on the bench, or transfer. He had a poor year and showed no improvement from freshman year.

He's fine as a role player. I don't think he needs to be buried on the bench or transfer, but I think this season highlighted how much depth and "talent" we actually lacked. He was being asked to do too much for either what he is, or where he is. I think he can be a solid Trey McKinney-Jones type or Rion Brown type player. Their numbers are very comparable.

What's his role? The most troubling part of his season was that he was clearly worse than his freshman year.

Advertisement
Newton will be a alright...a good true PG will make everybody better, particularly if He can score.

Odd man out to me is Vasilijevic, the blunder from down under...this is after the we wasted a schollie on another player from cross the water, Uceda...can we not find a ballin' *** white boy from America?

Backcourt
Lykes - 4 stars, HS POY in one of the toughest HS leagues in the nation
Brown - 5 stars Jordan Brand All American
Walker - 5 stars McD's & JB all American
Newton 4.5 stars
Lawrence 4 stars
DJ - 3 star, top 5 player in Australia out of HS

Frontcourt
Huell - 5 star McD's
Gak - 4 star
Miller - 4 star
Waardenbug - 4 star
Izundu - 3 star

We'll be just fine this coming year, key will be getting all the new kids to quickly mesh
Let's see what L can attract in terms of transfers with the two open spots.

Newton will be a alright...a good true PG will make everybody better, particularly if He can score.

Odd man out to me is Vasilijevic, the blunder from down under...this is after the we wasted a schollie on another player from cross the water, Uceda...can we not find a ballin' *** white boy from America?

LOL. DJ improved a lot as the season went on and is a true frosh. You're an idiot.

Advertisement

Wut?

DJ played really well the 2nd half of the season. Give him a real PG to get him open shots and an off-season to drop 10 lbs and he'll be a really solid player next year

Advertisement
Lawrence either needs to improve a lot, get buried on the bench, or transfer. He had a poor year and showed no improvement from freshman year.

He's fine as a role player. I don't think he needs to be buried on the bench or transfer, but I think this season highlighted how much depth and "talent" we actually lacked. He was being asked to do too much for either what he is, or where he is. I think he can be a solid Trey McKinney-Jones type or Rion Brown type player. Their numbers are very comparable.

What's his role? The most troubling part of his season was that he was clearly worse than his freshman year.

Sophomore: 6.8 ppg, 3.8 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 35% on 3s
Freshman: 4.1 ppg, 1.9 rebouds, 0.8 assists, 43% on 3s

How was it clearly worse? And, I already told you his role. But, he's a good ball handler (he played PG in HS), he's a solid defender, he can defend 1-4 if needed, he's a good outside shooter and he on a team where he's not asked to be the scorer, or even one of the top 3-4 scorers, he's an important player, like Rion Brown was on the 2012-2013 team.

Just some random thoughts:

1. We have a lot of good talent coming in next year. Lykes and Walker seem to be the most exciting.

2. We could use a PG transfer who is eligible. This should be the highest priority. You shouldn't go into next year with Newton as a serious option at PG. The experiment failed and he isn't capable of changing. If you want to have him on the bench, as depth, that is fine. I am curious as to what role coach has for Bruce Brown and whether he tries to make him a full-time PG.

3. Our big men need to develop. Huell and Izundu need a lot of work. Miller needs to get in shape and needs a lot of work. I don't know what to expect from Gak, there certainly will be time available if he is ready. As for Waardenburg, I don't expect him to play like a traditional 4.

4. Transfers: No more Michael Gilmores. It didn't make sense then and clearly we know how that resulted. As stated above, go after a quality PG transfer who is eligible. Even if it is for pure depth. Even if you have the most confidence in Brown and Lykes, take a PG who is eligible.

5. We will miss Reed but I think he can be replaced.

Advertisement
Back