2017-2018 Season

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
Please don't talk about the MSU game here. Keep that in the other thread, which I don't even want to read. Losing Reed and Murphy will be big, but with this recruiting class coming in, Brown's development, and everything else coming back, we should be a top 5 ACC team. We could be competing for a top 5 NCAA seed. I still think there is a place for Quan on this team if he buys in and Coach L forces him into a role. So, let's talk next year ( in the other thread) and let's look at potential lineups. We'll need Huell and Izundu to develop as I assume Gak won't walk in and dominate. If we can walk in and start from day 1, then I'll be shocked. Huell looked lost too often this year, but he was a 5-star for a reason. Izundu has potential, but needs to stay on the court and then develop his offensive game. Both need to be more aggressive (and smart) and get stronger. Walker and Brown are going to be fun to watch and I think Lykes will be a smaller (which is weird) Shane Larkin who frustrate ACC PGs all season long. DJ actually had a solid year, considering, in an ideal world, he shouldn't have had to contribute much. I'm interested to see where Waardenburg fits in, and how he plays on the D-I level.

We could see something like this:

Lykes
Brown
Walker
Lawrence
Huell

Or

Lykes
Brown
Walker
Huell
Gak

Or

Lykes
Newton
Brown
Walker
Huell

Or.........

Advertisement
Just my guess:

Lykes
Brown
Walker
Lawrence
Izundu (if he continues to develop)

Bench: Newton (back to 6th man role), Dejan, Huell

I think that will be our 8 man rotation, unless we add a grad transfer. Waardenburg is probably the next man up. Gak will need a year to develop, and Miller needs to drop 30 lbs before he's even worth discussing.

I agree with OP in that a Top 5 seed and and Top 4 finish in the ACC should be the goal. Will be the most talented team Coach L has ever had at Miami, but obviously we will lack veterans

Just my guess:

Lykes
Brown
Walker
Lawrence

I think that will be our 8 man rotation, unless we add a grad transfer. Waardenburg is probably the next man up. Gak will need a year to develop, and Miller needs to drop 30 lbs before he's even worth discussing.

I agree with OP in that a Top 5 seed and and Top 4 finish in the ACC should be the goal. Will be the most talented team Coach L has ever had at Miami, but obviously we will lack veterans

You think? I see a really question in the post.

Just my guess:

Lykes
Brown
Walker
Lawrence

Que?

Advertisement
Just my guess:

Lykes
Brown
Walker
Lawrence

Que?

"Post" meaning forwards and Centers. ;) Not "post" like as in your post :) "Really" should be "real". **** phone and spellcheck!

Just my guess:

Lykes
Brown
Walker
Lawrence

Que?

"Post" meaning forwards and Centers. ;) Not "post" like as in your post :) "Really" should be "real". **** phone and spellcheck!

Gotcha. I agree we really need to add another guy who can play the 4-5. I mean, Huell and Izundu are pretty much it unless Gak or Miller can be contributors.

Just my guess:

Lykes
Brown
Walker
Lawrence

Que?

Gotcha. I agree we really need to add another guy who can play the 4-5. I mean, Huell and Izundu are pretty much it unless Gak or Miller can be contributors.

I really hope Huell gets mad at his performance this season and improves his game. He's raw but has huge potential. For some reason I'm worried he's the entitled type and will try to transfer instead of putting in the work.

Izundu is going to take a huge leap between now and November, this is when most players of his type either sink or swim. Tonye took his largest step at this point, and Ebuka is already ahead of Tonye in regards to his development. If he can learn to play without fouling, he's a weapon out there. I think that he will also benefit from having a PG that knows how to put the ball on him, which will lead to better opportunities in the post. Losing Davon and Kamari will hurt a ton, but with Bruce Brown and the continued development of guys like Izundu and Huell(If he sticks around), I can see this team being a legit top 25 squad. They will be extremely young in places, and that worries me in March, but this team will have the tools to be something solid.

It sucks that Davon isn't around for another year, what he brought to the program won't be replaced anytime soon.

Advertisement
Huell needs to work on his offensive game and ball handling. Looks scared out there with the ball in his hands and I've noticed he be open when he cuts to the basket they just don't throw him the ball. Looking for him to improve next year

I think Miami is a gunna be good definitely think Newton needs to slide back into the off the bench spark instead of starting but if izunda can play without fouling and huell makes that jump into a solid contributier we should be a top 5 seed. Somebody needs to step up and contribute off the bench as a big tho Either wardenburg, Miller or a grad transfer to be elite

If we've seen one thing with Coach L, it's that PG play defines the team. Our 2 Sweet 16 teams had excellent PGs, the other years we've struggled at that position.

Chris Lykes will make or break this team. Based on his film and all the reports of his play, there's pretty good reason to be optimistic

Advertisement
Advertisement
Can someone list all scholarship players for the Fall please. Seems we are still short, shouldn't we have 12 on ships?

Just my guess:

Lykes
Brown
Walker
Lawrence

Que?

Not really. Izundu, Huell, Miller, Waardenburg and Gak. We'll be solid up front.

Lawrence either needs to improve a lot, get buried on the bench, or transfer. He had a poor year and showed no improvement from freshman year.

Lawrence either needs to improve a lot, get buried on the bench, or transfer. He had a poor year and showed no improvement from freshman year.

He's fine as a role player. I don't think he needs to be buried on the bench or transfer, but I think this season highlighted how much depth and "talent" we actually lacked. He was being asked to do too much for either what he is, or where he is. I think he can be a solid Trey McKinney-Jones type or Rion Brown type player. Their numbers are very comparable.

Advertisement
Back