2016 Miami Commit “Keeping Options Open”

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
2016 Booker T Washington (Fla.) running back Mark Walton played a huge role in the Tornadoes success this year as he not only helped their offense during the season, but he came up big in the playoffs for his team on the way to a state championships.

“It felt great, just playing the game that you love and having a passion for it. Just knowing when your team needs you the most, you’re there and just doing what I have to do to back my team up.”

Walton is entering his junior year looking to be a main component of the Tornadoes potent offense, however he is keeping a level head with the idea of being a main threat.

“I’m excited, but I’m not trying to get to big headed about it. I’m just gonna keep playing my game and not get over excited. I’m just staying humble about the situation.”

The 2016 running back committed to the Miami during the year and while he remains committed, he does admit he is keeping tabs on other schools.

“It’s pretty solid. I still got other schools looking at me, I’m going to take my time with the situation. Auburn, Florida State, and West Virginia are recruiting me.”

The stud south Florida running back gave his thoughts on the Hurricane’s season and he feels they’re headed in the right direction.

“From last year they’ve just been rebuilding. They’ve done a much better job compared to last year.”

Walton is in contact with the staff, “around once a month”, and truly enjoys speaking with the coaches.

“All of them are funny, they have their jokes, but they’re nice people.”

The Booker T product isn’t the only Tornado who’s pledged to the ‘Canes, as his teammates Chad Thomas and Demetrius Jackson are also set to begin at Miami soon.

Walton had high remarks for both of them and how that they played a big part in his commitment.

“Personality wise, they’re humble and great people. One thing about them is they are going to take the education seriously. I know they’re going to make an impact on the defensive side of the ball, they’re ready to work.That was one of the main factors in my decision."

While the Hurricane commitment’s signing day is technically still 2 years away, Walton is actively trying to enroll with the 2015 class. While it remains to be seen whether he will be able to or not, he did comment on when we will find out.

“I’m going to let everyone know next year because all of the classes are during the summer.”

The Tornadoes senior quarterback Treon Harris was recently offered by the Hurricanes and Miami is making a strong late push for Harris.

Does Walton see him ending up in Coral Gables?

“There’s a 50-50 chance, he may want to go to Miami or he may want to go to Florida State. He’s gotta family background and history at Miami, so it’s 50-50.”

Last edited:
Advertisement
:rollcanes:

I knew this was coming. How many studs commit to Miami early then sign elsewhere? Would love to see a complete list. :ohlord: South Florida kids shouldn't even be allowed to commit until Fall of their senior years.

Advertisement
Wow are we really having a meltdown already? THe kids going to listen to other schools we just have to keep recruiting him thats all

Advertisement
:rollcanes:

I knew this was coming. How many studs commit to Miami early then sign elsewhere? Would love to see a complete list. :ohlord: South Florida kids shouldn't even be allowed to commit until Fall of their senior years.

So should we not take the commitment?

The clown show is what recruiting has become, especially in south florida. Only will get worse as the NCAA and schools allow it to happen

Advertisement
338.gif

This kid is a stud, if he could reclassify and commit would be huge but he should also enjoy high school but either way we can't let him slip. He is a loyal hurricane though.

Advertisement
WHAT??? A 2016 kid keeping his options open? Fire Everyone!!! I blame Coach D.!!! Golden can't recruit Miami running backs!!!

He can't sign a LOI until feb 2017 that's a long way to go

Feb 2016 but yeah... it is a long way to go. I just want guys to be firm... no bull****. I want guys like Duke or Darling who are all about Miami with no second guessing.

Im still adjusting to my meds. Sorry for the outburst.

Advertisement
Back