2016 Class: 20 commits so far...

cant help but get excited about 2016's class so far
241.gif

Yes that is a nice pair -- of recruits I mean.

A little bit TSFW, if you aske me (Too Safe for Work), but we might have to go with it.

Advertisement
A top ten nationally QB out of Dade seems to be extremely rare. Does anybody remember a top nationally ranked QB from Dade, ever?

1) Quarterman
2) Quarterman

We haven't had an LB commit like this in YEARS! I'm excited to see what he can do on Defense. Allison is a great pick up, but just ahead of him we have Kaaya and Lawson...not necessarily a position of great need.

Advertisement
1. Shaq Quarterman - Dude hits like a ton bricks
2. I'll go with Mike Pinckney we don't really have a lot of depth at OLB, MLB we have some depth.

Dan -

You should sticky these threads for commits and decommitts and favorite recruit for 2015 & 2016 and future years at the top of the recruiting page. Gives us a good way for us to look back at the history of commits and decommitts over the long haul. It's always a topic that comes up frequently so it would be an awesome reference.

You could add dates committed and decommitted etc. You could even combine all of the years into one thread. Maybe organize by class but it would provide a great "Timeline of Recruiting"

it would show trends if it is more common to decommitt etc as the years go. I really think it would be a permanently hot post worth sticking.

Just a suggestion.

A top ten nationally QB out of Dade seems to be extremely rare. Does anybody remember a top nationally ranked QB from Dade, ever?

Teddy Bridgewater was a top nationally ranked QB from Dade.

I agree that it is rare even though Allison is not playing in Dade county.

Advertisement
I said it before in another thread a month or so ago, but Miami will have a top 5 class in 2016.

I think the bigger question will be who signs next year, Not who is committed now. A long way until Feb 2016. And if these kids develop and get some more offers, hope we can hold on to them. But, surely a good start at least from a publicity standpoint for now.

Advertisement
Shaq is 6'0 3/4 inches... 233 lbs (down from 248 in the offseason)... His fastest 40 is 4.71 ....working on form but look at his higlights...He has good range ... in one play on his Soph Highlights he beats the OLB (#4) to a sweep on his side. #4 is D.Owens... D.O will smoke him in a 40, but Shaq beat him on that play... Shaq Bench: 320, Clean 315, Squat 525....(These are his Soph Numbers)

Advertisement
If all goes according to our plan Shaq will be enrolled in Jan 16

What is Shaq's actual height, weight and speed? I see him listed from 5'11-6'2, 230-240 and 4.73-4.81 speed.

Size wise he looks college ready now.

Shaq is 6'0 3/4 inches... 233 lbs (down from 248 in the offseason)... His fastest 40 is 4.71 ....working on form but look at his higlights...He has good range ... in one play on his Soph Highlights he beats the OLB (#4) to a sweep on his side. #4 is D.Owens... D.O will smoke him in a 40, but Shaq beat him on that play... Shaq Bench: 320, Clean 315, Squat 525....(These are his Soph Numbers)

What is Shaq's actual height, weight and speed? I see him listed from 5'11-6'2, 230-240 and 4.73-4.81 speed.

Thanks for the reply, Nice! I would take playing speed over 40 speed any day. Can't wait to have this beast on the team... I hope he and Alison will be the leaders and help build the 2016 class. The future looks bright!

For reference: Shaq already cleans more than Perryman at 320 and his 525 squat is what Perryman did as a JR in college! At 233 he weighs about the same as Perryman did last year. Physically, he is college ready and he still has 2 more years to get bigger, stronger and faster.

LINEBACKERS
The linebacker group on average increased its power clean from 260.9 last spring to 271, and the bench went from 337 to 340 while the average squat went from 430 to 421.7.

Denzel Perryman is a major standout here.

Perryman tied the all-time record in squat at 600, which was set in 1985. He also tested at 308 in the power clean and 400 in the bench while putting up a 30-inch vertical. Last spring he had a 510 squat, 318 power clean and 425 bench with a 30.5 vertical.

Of Perryman bulking up to play inside, Swasey said, "It's just consistency over time. He came in 205, 210, now he's at about 245, 243. He's squatting 600 - his numbers are ridiculous. He's developed over time and he loves weight, training."

Tyriq McCord made one of the biggest jumps on the team, going from a 435-pound squat to 535. And his power clean went from 274 to 301 while his bench went from 330 to 350. On top of that his vertical improved from 35.5 inches to 37. And his body weight increased almost 10 pounds spring to spring, to close to 230 pounds.

Alex Figueroa also made some nice progress going from a 355-pound squat to 415, and his power clean went from 286 to 301 while his bench went from 310 to 325.

Raphael Kirby is also one of the strongest linebackers with a 535-pound squat (up from 500 last spring), 318-pound power clean (308 last year) and 365-pound bench (385 last year). His vertical went from 37 to 34.5.

Thurston Armbrister didn't test last year but this year had a 385 squat, 286 power clean and 315 bench along with a 31-inch vertical.

Jermaine Grace, in his first spring testing, had a 455-pound squat, 252-pound power clean and 380-pound bench while putting up a 32-inch vertical. He weighed in at 200 pounds.

"Jermaine Grace, we have to get him more size, lean mass," Swasey said. "He's definitely a strong kid who can run and play. We just want to make sure he's not undersized at that position. ... We have to continue to add weight on to him because he definitely has the total package."

Freshman Darrion Owens squatted 405 pounds with a 313-pound power clean and 350-pound bench along with a 30.5-inch vertical, and fellow newcomer Juwon Young had a 430-pound squat, 308-pound power clean and 370-pound bench along with a 33-inch vertical.

Of Young and Owens, Swasey said, "They're doing real good. Nice sized kids, long. We really got some good ones coming in."

Young is already among the top Canes in his position group.

"He's jumping in the mix, comes in a nice size kid, weighs about 239," Swasey said. "He has good weight, good size, some good strength."

* JaWand Blue did not test.

Last edited:

I noticed. that on the highlight as well. he beat Owens to make the play. that was really the play that stuck out to me the most.

Advertisement
Back