2015 QB Ryan "Sunshine" Stanley taking off

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
In the past, South Florida was primarily known as a hub for skill position players. Over the past 4-5 years though, it has become a breeding ground for talented quarterbacks. American Heritage’s Torrance Gibson has received a bulk of the attention and deservedly so, but if you’re looking for the best pure passer down here, look no further than Flanagan’s Ryan “Sunshine” Stanley (6-2, 195).

Stanley had a breakout junior season, but is name has really exploded over the past month or so with an impressive run in the 7-on-7 circuit.

“I’m just happy my name is finally out there and I’m doing what I’ve been waiting to do. I just gotta stay humble and keep working hard,” said Stanley.

Although Stanley performs very well from the pocket, that is not the limit to what he can do on the field.

“I’m definitely more of a pocket passer, but if it’s like 3rd and 5 and no one is open then I can make a play. I ran a 4.7 or 4.6 out at the Nike Combine so I can definitely run.”

Surrounded with a good crop of receivers at Flanagan, Stanley has the reigns to spread the ball around and likes that flexibility.

“I like spread offenses where I can just sit back and throw the ball because it gives me a chance to show what I can do, but I just want to play at a program that gets the job done.”

On the recruiting front, Stanley’s stock is rising by the day.

“I’ve got an offer from FIU. I’m going to USF’s Junior Day this weekend and to Louisville’s on April 5th. Miami, FSU, Auburn, Cincinnati, Michigan State, and Iowa State are in contact with me too.”

Miami is a school of major interest for the local product.

“I am definitely interested. My freshman year was the first time they contacted me. Coach D’Onofrio came out my freshman year and talked to me and that’s when I first knew that I would be looking at them. I would definitely keep their offer in mind if they offer and I would love to be a Cane.”

Stanley’s top target at Flanagan is Miami 2015 commit Emonee Spence. The QB has high praise for his receiver.

“I’ve been growing up with him. Miami is getting a special kid. His mindset is crazy and he feels like nobody can stop him. He’s got all these offers and stuff, but he still goes out there and begs me to throw balls to him while he runs routes. He can go up and get the ball.”

Now onto the real story here, Stanley’s look. The gunslinger’s vibe and long hair has earned him the illustrious nickname “Sunshine”, as in the quarterback from “Remember the Titans”. Stanley embraces the situation.

“I’ve been growing my hair out since like 7th grade and now I’ve earned the nickname Sunshine (laughs). That’s my little trademark because people will just say ‘Sunshine’ and know it’s me with the long, blonde hair. I really don’t have a problem with it.”

What is Stanley focused on now during the offseason?

“I’m doing footwork and stuff like that at this place called Elevate. With 7-on-7 football there’s no D-Line or O-Line so I’m just working on getting my reads right without pressure and all that. I’ve been watching film from my all the way back to my freshman year just picking up on the little things.”

Stanley's junior highlights - http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1429723/highlights/107710389?autoplay=1

Advertisement
438.jpg

Advertisement
It will be a tough pill to swallow if we don't land Gibson. If we can't land Gibson I would gladly take "Sunshine".

Advertisement
I like his film. Question is-- how many QBs are we taking this cycle? I assume we are taking 2 since Crow probably won't see the field and Olsen will be on his way out soon if he doesn't straighten up. Gibson and Sunshine would be ideal, but realistically it would be Wimbush and Sunshine. Maybe the kid from Tennessee?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Like this kid a lot. Obviously Gibson is a bigger fish but I could I could see this kid rising similar to Sean White. Maybe not as high but around that.

Would definitely take this kid. Gibson, who everyone wants and says "Gibson or bust", is going to be a long shot. We go all out on Gibson and don't get him, we'll be SOL at that point.

Wimbush, Sunshine and Gibson. Go all out for them and realistically get 1 or 2.

Advertisement
Back