2015 LB Sheppard Talks Miami & Alabama

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
2015 Gulliver (Fla.) linebacker Dominic Sheppard is considered one of the top linebacker in south Florida for his class. He played a pivotal role in helping his teams defense last year.

“I felt like I did good; I had a minor wrist injury, but that didn’t hold me back because I felt like I did a good job. I switched from defensive end from my tenth grade year and now I’m playing middle linebacker.”

Sheppard racked up 93 tackles last season along with one interception return for a touchdown. Despite the impressive stat line, Sheppard is still looking to improve upon his game and get better this offseason.

“I want to improve on reading plays, like diagnosing the play before it happens. I might just run track or I might join the Florida Fire South team.”

The 6’2 200 pound middle linebacker has been receiving college interest from schools dating back to his freshman year. While schools from all over the nation are contacting Sheppard, he claims to have no leaders.

“I don’t have a list of who I like the most right now, but I have Alabama, Louisville, I have Miami, Ohio State, Clemson, Tennessee and some other schools I really can’t think of right now.”

The Gulliver product spoke a little bit about the Crimson Tide and how they fit in to his recruiting picture.

“Alabama is recruiting me the hardest, coach (Mario) Cristobal came to my school over four times to see me. I like about it because of the nice facilities and they produce linebackers like Donta Hightower and CJ Mosley.”

The hometown Hurricanes are also recruiting the 2015 prospect as well and he is intrigued by the number of talented athletes on the Miami team.

“You can tell who who the playmakers are and they get them better. They carry their linebackers like the heart of their team, like Denzel Perryman. I look at him a lot and I compare my stats to him sometimes.”

The highly recruited south florida linebacker is being recruited by both Al Golden and Michael Barrow and elaborated on the type of person the head coach is.

“Coach Golden is a great guy, I haven’t talked to him lately this year ,but from my experience last year he’s a great guy. I most likely talk with Michael Barrow this year and we talk about linebacker scheme’s and the program.”

Sheppard is planning to see some schools during the summer including Oregon, LSU and Florida State.

As far as when a decision will be made, the tentative date is set for following Sheppard’s season.

What will it take to land the second team All-Dade linebacker?

“Playing time, I want to see if they can get me better and whats going to be my future and like where I’m going to be in 4 years and the environment.”

Highlights:http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1532489/highlights/77720375

Advertisement
200 pounds?

Kinda light for a LB in this scheme.

For someone in high-school it's a good start. Sean Spence came to Miami weighing 185 pounds, Jermaine Grace was around 210 entering Miami, so it's not that big of an issue in my opinion.

Keeping guys like this at home and away from the SEC schools will change the perception of this staff's recruiting efforts for the non-believers. With a RS year this kid will be a beast! Not a want but NEED for this class

Advertisement
200 pounds?

LOL. What is he, 16 or 17? I think there's time to get his weight up. Bama hates those big LBs, you know.

All our LBs in this class were 225+. Young was 240.

I think the whole blowing LBs up thing is stupid to begin with; I prefer smaller, quicker ones. But if you're gonna do it why would you go after a guy who's only 200 a year away from his NSD?

Last edited:
200 pounds?

LOL. What is he, 16 or 17? I think there's time to get his weight up. Bama hates those big LBs, you know.

All our LB in this class were 225+.

I think the whole blowing LBs up thing is stupid to begin with; I prefer smaller, quicker ones. But if you're gonna do it why would you go after a guy who's only 200 a year away from his NSD?

He's probably 2 1/2 years away from ever seeing a college football field, whether he goes to Bama, elsewhere, or comes here. Adding 10 lbs/year over that time frame isn't really 'blowing up'. He'll probably do that just from maturing physically (filling out and growing into his 6'2"). Like I said, I think there's time.

I think Cameron Underwood saw this guy at the south florida express tryouts and said hes huge. like 230ish.

Advertisement
He is bigger than 200 everywhere i seen has him at about 223 and cam said he looks about 10 pounds bigger than that.

I don't think it's so much a size issue as it is an ability issue. If you can find the LB's at 230 who can play side line to side line (Young/Owens) then take em. If the make plays at 200/210, take em. They're still young and most haven't stopped growing.

No worries about this cat being listed at 200 lbs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The obsession over weight on this board is comical at times

And you know whats is even comical? The flip flop...

When we were being bowled over by GT with Shannon linebackers, people kept asking for bigger linebackers... no more 190/200 lbs types!! Now, the trend is to say a 230 lbs linebacker can´t be athletic or fast...

When will people learn this is not an exact science?!? You can take a guy like Figueroa(already big and athletic) and you can take (also) a Lavonte David/Sean Spence type and they will gain the necessary amount of weight to ball in college football.

My face every time I wake up and read these feast or famine, all or nothing porsts...

299.jpg

Advertisement
Back