2014 DB Wilson Breaks it Down

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
2014 University School DB Quincy Wilson (6'1, 195) is no stranger to the University of Miami, as his father Chad played defensive back at Miami from 1992-94. He already holds 15 offers from the likes of Michigan State, Ohio State, Florida, Auburn, Indiana, West Virginia, and Purdue. He has visited Ohio State, Florida, and Auburn.

“I’m looking for a school where I have a good relationship with the coaches, academics and what I wanna study, and if I could play early,” said Wilson.

Although he grew up a Miami fan, he says the Miami coaches haven’t been showing him much interest.

“I would say they’re not really looking for a DB in the 2014 class right now or they want to see more of me, I’m not really sure. I would have high interest in Miami (if they offered) because that’s the school I loved growing up. I’ve only spoken to the defensive coordinator, but I don’t really remember what he said,” he added.

With his dad playing at Miami, he isn’t feeling any pressure from him to make a certain decision.

“He’s gonna support wherever I go,” Wilson said.

Quincy was out at the Al Golden Football Camp in late June.

“I think I did great. I just went out there and did what I do and just showed the coaches what I have,” he said.

Wilson can play either cornerback or safety, but has a preference.

“I prefer playing corner, I like it more. I can make more plays and I’m good at reading the quarterback. My strengths at the corner position are my jam at the line and I can also play off. I’m good at reading the quarterback because I used to play quarterback growing up,” Wilson said.

University School Wide Receiver Jordan Cunningham is somebody who is near the top of Miami’s receiver board and Wilson is very familiar with him.

“I think he’s good at studying DBs and coming up with things to beat them at the line of scrimmage. He’s just a student of the game and knows how to manipulate DBs,” he said about Cunningham.

Advertisement
I just don't get it, and the "its early" excuse just doesn't cut it. Kid shined this spring against older elite players.

This one is hard to figure for me as well. Random swears this kid is all Cane, but this isn't the first time I've seen the kid speak about not understanding why he doesn't have an offer yet. His was supposed to be one of the hot names in the next cycle. This is a real headscratcher.....

I'll just have to trust Golden on this.

He's obviously aware of the kid, and he's obviously seen him play.

There has to be a reason he hasn't been offered yet.

we are at the mercy of Al Golden...and that's fine by me. He will target the guys he thinks can play here.....not a catalogue shopper like our buddies up at Clemson.

Advertisement

Its what I keep telling myself. As a legacy its one thing, but this kid is also crazy talented, worthy of an early scholarship even if he wasn't a legacy.

I dunno man.

we are at the mercy of Al Golden...and that's fine by me. He will target the guys he thinks can play here.....not a catalogue shopper like our buddies up at Clemson.

Agree.

He obviously knows about Wilson. He's not some under-the-radar kid that we're begging the coaches to take a look at.

His dad is an alumnus, AND he camped.

It's all part of the plan.

Its what I keep telling myself. As a legacy its one thing, but this kid is also crazy talented, worthy of an early scholarship even if he wasn't a legacy.

I dunno man.

Honestly, I don't know what the end game is.

Maybe they didn't like his attitude or something, and they want him to mature a little bit.

It's puzzling, but I'm just gonna go with it.

With the haul Miami took in 2012, and in 13, realistically would it make sense to take a DB, unless he's off the chart elite? I've read to where Wilson would project to be elite, so who knows. Also given Miami's various depth issues at WR, DB, QB, DL and LB for the past 10 years you can never have too many of _______'s on the roster.

Provided no one xfers out and everyone sticks, how many DBs would Miami have on its roster for the 2014 season?

Advertisement
This is why you let this season play out a little to see how Jenkins and Bush project at Safety. The overreaction to "holes" has plagued this program forever. We picked up 2 Safeties last class and presumably 2 Safeties this class. If even 1 of those (Bush or Burns) end up being moved over, or Jenkins doesn't show enough, Wilson is an obvious selection. But, if everyone sticks, and they offer Wilson now and he commits, it creates an uncomfortable position with a legacy. Interesting little scenario.

kids a legacy,, his dad coaches at univ school, also Kevin Beard is the wr coach there, and that school i sloading up on ft.laudrdale area talent......

ummm..he needs an offer asap.....and he is a lock with that offer...which is maybe why the slow play?...as mybe they dont know the schollie situation for next yr..either way...hes big time talent that you have to be crazy to not offer...i doubt he has an attitude issue..his dad is cool as ****...post on the canes boards...

This kid needs to be offered, plain and simple. Nobody's saying bow down and throw rose petals at his feet Coming to America style, but he's a legacy, and an extremely talented player. It makes NO sense why other DB's in '14 class have offers and he doesn't. They're bringing in Rudolph to play DB, and I don't know how many people would say he's a better prospect then Wilson.

Like I said, headscratcher.

Advertisement
look how many DBs golden has already brought in. its going to be hard for him to bring in many more right now and we have plenty of time to offer wilson.

Bottom line is we need safety's!!! If this kid can play safety then offer. There was a rumor that there is "other stuff" with him. TIFWIW

Advertisement
Agree with LU, but offering a kid like Wilson may allow them to move Bush to CB and start Burns there as well. But agree it's hard to hear a 2014 whining because they haven't gotten an offer yet.

Agree with LU, but offering a kid like Wilson may allow them to move Bush to CB and start Burns there as well. But agree it's hard to hear a 2014 whining because they haven't gotten an offer yet.

I don't think its whining. He wants to be a Cane. He is an elite talent and he feels like he has earned an offer.

Also to the people who say chill your a 2014 kid. Most programs have already started recruiting 2014 guys.

Advertisement
Back