2014 ATH Turner commits to Miami

Advertisement
From KATKER:4.3 speed and all muscle. Good kid with an attitude. Has excellent hands and he will play CB for the Canes. Played WR most of his HS career. He's 100% Cane and will start working with Dillards defense ASAP

2nd post from coach....

"I wouldn't say that Dennis is overlooked. We had 74 FBS schools come through Dillard this spring. All of them recruited Dennis as a WR. He could play at all those schools at WR; however, everybody has their own board for each position. Most schools have to recruit their own states first or they cannot survive and then they come to South Florida and go from there. I don't have to tell you how many quality WR's there are here in S. Florida, but it is plentiful. we were a first year staff last year and the college coaches were few and far between last year, so Dennis did not gain any traction last year because nobody really saw him.

"We went on a marketing push to get the colleges back on our campus and it worked. So, really it is a multi-faceted answer and I hope I didn't babble too much...lol"

"Really, the credit on this goes to UM Secondary Coach Paul Williams, who recruits our school. he was the one who asked Dennis if he would consider playing DB. Nobody thought of it since he was getting some reallly good offers at WR. When Coach Williams asked him, he stated yes. Dennis, Dillard HC Lorenzo Davis and I talked about it and Dennis was all In. Dennis wanted to Be at Miami and all believed that a 5'11 CB had more value than a 5'11 WR. It all worked o[]__[]t Well !"

post by his coach....

I coach Dennis at Dillard and coached Many talented DB's in my days at St. Thomas Aquinas (Major Wright, Cody Riggs, Marcus Roberson, Nate Salley, Anthony Reddick, and many others) and can tell you that Miami got a STEAL with Dennis. He has legit 4.3 speed and has very good height. The weight will come. But the best part is he has Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, and Michael Irvin work ethic. He is a high character kid and lives to grind for the game. He trains like nobody else, even when he is by himself on the field. []__[]s Cane fans will be very happy that Dennis T[]__[]rner is a Cane ! Welcome to THE []__[] !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

see i could make due with that...

Under the radar prospects that just work hard.....those kids down the road turn into players.

Kid wanted to be a Cane and went an earned and got it.

Also he is a Lauderdale kid from a school we havent been able to crack..i love it.

Advertisement
Was Len Myers the last Dillard guy we had?

Yep, and before that...Lamont Cain?

No idea what happened to Dillard. They were THE powerhouse broward time for decades and then all of a sudden in the late 90s, they started dropping off the radar. IIRC, they've been a real sh1tty team the past 5-10 years. I'm guessing that they are the victims of re-distrciting and new schools. Kind of like what happened to Carol City.

No idea what happened to Dillard. They were THE powerhouse broward time for decades and then all of a sudden in the late 90s, they started dropping off the radar. IIRC, they've been a real sh1tty team the past 5-10 years. I'm guessing that they are the victims of re-distrciting and new schools. Kind of like what happened to Carol City.

victim of sta...and now U-SCHOOL.

They were good throughout the 90's and 200's when i was in high school.

They are in the best talent pool area of ft.lauderdale..yet they flip through head coaches like pages...its always a thing with principal's etc....then their talent pool is getting recruited away by the privates like U-SCHOOL and STA.

They still on an average should turn out more than 5 div 1 recruits a year though....this maybe their worse drought in awhile.

so those highlights on p.1 were not him right?

i hope not cus there isnt much to get excited about in those

Advertisement
LOL @ someone questioning 4.51 being a fast time or not as a Junior in HS... 4.51 IS very fast in HS. Coach didn't say "he has elite speed"

Last time I checked Artie Burns "officially" ran a 4.50 40 yard time at those laser timed big time camps when he was being recruited and nobody doubts his speed.
4.50 in the 40 is plenty fast, especially without specialized training to lower your 40 time. I'm betting by the time this kid graduates and goes to the NFL combine he will be sub 4.40.

Couldnt have said it better myself, Prop Joe. The private schools screwed Dillard. And add to the fact that its not the "cool" thing in the hood to play there anymore and you have a disaster. Also Dillard and Ely are victims of new principals who refused to sacrifice academics for the sake of winning football games. So now both schools are "B" schools (and I think Ely is an "A" school) when back in the day when they ran **** on the football field they were "D" and "F" schools. The thugs cant skip school all week and then play football on Friday night anymore.

18.jpg:large

What's that helmet?

A mini canes helmet

Kids who win some sort of "MVP" during the camp get one of those miniature helmets.

It's for his Jimmy Johnson.

Couldnt have said it better myself, Prop Joe. The private schools screwed Dillard. And add to the fact that its not the "cool" thing in the hood to play there anymore and you have a disaster. Also Dillard and Ely are victims of new principals who refused to sacrifice academics for the sake of winning football games. So now both schools are "B" schools (and I think Ely is an "A" school) when back in the day when they ran **** on the football field they were "D" and "F" schools. The thugs cant skip school all week and then play football on Friday night anymore.

crazy i worked @ Washington Park across the street from dillard last summer....and it was wierd that the kids from around there wasnt either going to dillard or wanted to go to dillard. Kids wanted USCHOOL....and even Northeast. Its CRAZY the amount of talent in that area though....the Ft.Lauderdale Hurricanes Optomist program maybe the best in the whole SOUTH FLORIDA...thats including dade and broward optomist programs.

Dillard should be LOADED to the brim with prospects....i remember when i was in high school, dillard backups would transfer to the Northeast,Nova, South Plants of the world to be starters.

Advertisement
post by his coach....

I coach Dennis at Dillard and coached Many talented DB's in my days at St. Thomas Aquinas (Major Wright, Cody Riggs, Marcus Roberson, Nate Salley, Anthony Reddick, and many others) and can tell you that Miami got a STEAL with Dennis. He has legit 4.3 speed and has very good height. The weight will come. But the best part is he has Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, and Michael Irvin work ethic. He is a high character kid and lives to grind for the game. He trains like nobody else, even when he is by himself on the field. []__[]s Cane fans will be very happy that Dennis T[]__[]rner is a Cane ! Welcome to THE []__[] !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

see i could make due with that...

Under the radar prospects that just work hard.....those kids down the road turn into players.

Kid wanted to be a Cane and went an earned and got it.

Also he is a Lauderdale kid from a school we havent been able to crack..i love it.

It wasn't because we haven't been able to crack Dillard, they have been bad since 2002... They have had a plethora of HC's and a series of alumni interference... The program was in disarray... A few kids were being hyped here and there but they weren't that good... Sounds like everything is changing with that program for the good... Sounds like a good staff and prospect on our hands.... Congrats to Turner!

They are in the best talent pool area of ft.lauderdale..yet they flip through head coaches like pages...its always a thing with principal's etc....then their talent pool is getting recruited away by the privates like U-SCHOOL and STA.

They still on an average should turn out more than 5 div 1 recruits a year though....this maybe their worse drought in awhile.

This isn't entirely true... STA, Chaminade and Gibbons were recruiting in the 90's and early 2000's as well but Dillard was still beating them... Dillard demise resulted in bad coaching and complacency regarding their players... The players refused to train as the prospects did in the past and at one point they developed a reputation for playing favorites when it concern the children of former players... Their entire formula for winning was diluted with shortcuts resulting in mediocrity... Seems like they have a good staff in place now which is good...

As for recruiting, people believe me just about every school in Broward does it... I graduated in 06 from South Plantation and our spring ball had so many locals at our practice being recruited by our coaches to transfer... But it wasn't just our school... The former coach of Boyd Anderson probably had the worst reputation... He had kids transferring out of private schools to BA and he still underachieved... It happens throughout the county...

Broward needs some better coaches... The same thing to happen to Dillard is what happened to Plantation, Ely and Deerfield... Their coaching staffs isn't performing as they should... Plantation baffles me their coach won the last ship at Ely with Ty Moss but he hasn't brought that winning to Plantation yet...

You do realise that's a good thing, right? and its possible to have both

Advertisement
Alex Collins went to dillard before transferring to south plantation.. Dillard is in the hart of ft.lauderdale ervery school is close to dillard they should have more talent that they have now...

This isn't entirely true... STA, Chaminade and Gibbons were recruiting in the 90's and early 2000's as well but Dillard was still beating them... Dillard demise resulted in bad coaching and complacency regarding their players... The players refused to train as the prospects did in the past and at one point they developed a reputation for playing favorites when it concern the children of former players... Their entire formula for winning was diluted with shortcuts resulting in mediocrity... Seems like they have a good staff in place now which is good...

As for recruiting, people believe me just about every school in Broward does it... I graduated in 06 from South Plantation and our spring ball had so many locals at our practice being recruited by our coaches to transfer... But it wasn't just our school... The former coach of Boyd Anderson probably had the worst reputation... He had kids transferring out of private schools to BA and he still underachieved... It happens throughout the county...

Broward needs some better coaches... The same thing to happen to Dillard is what happened to Plantation, Ely and Deerfield... Their coaching staffs isn't performing as they should... Plantation baffles me their coach won the last ship at Ely with Ty Moss but he hasn't brought that winning to Plantation yet...[/QUOTE]

Dillard has had turnover in staff....yes...but still their numbers as far as players are down and everythin.(i guess it comes with losing)....Dillard would compete or beat STA from time to time when i was in high school..**** dillard went to states..or either loss to state champs...the fall off shouldnt be as bad..because the talent pool is STILL there.

For the most part its the recruiting.

Plantation has Steve Davis who isnt a bad coach..actually is pretty good..but they cant win sh*t....Why?....well all of a sudden American Heritage also located in Plantation is fielding good teams...then U-School also in the area is sieving talent...

Boyd Anderson just has bad coaching...they recruit like heck..fix grades...and dont do a **** thing...That team is loaded with div 1 prospects every year.

Broward's coaching is better than Dade's...but still the teams that are real good have stability..and the teams who prospects produce on the next level.

Miramar- Coach Cogdell...their guys are producing...Miramar also has like 100 coaches..lol...He's been their for awhile..and i think is even the A.D.
sta-Have a program going...been for decades..their guys always are solid players.
Cypress Bay/Chamiande-Coach G...produce quality players...he usually stays at schools longe nough to turn programs around.

Then u look at the B.A'S and Dillards who churn out dfiv 1 prospects and your like what the **** did they do in college...or they never make it.

Broward needs some better coaches... The same thing to happen to Dillard is what happened to Plantation, Ely and Deerfield... Their coaching staffs isn't performing as they should... Plantation baffles me their coach won the last ship at Ely with Ty Moss but he hasn't brought that winning to Plantation yet...

Plantation should be mopping the floor with teams. They're loaded with athletes. I don't know how in the **** their coach keeps his job. They did pretty well this past season but overall they continuously underachieve.

The last converted WR/DB we recruited from Dillard ended up being pretty **** good, even if he got a BS call in the Fiesta Bowl.

Advertisement
Back