2012-2013 Hurricanes Basketball Season

Advertisement
Hey guys so I came across this fun story about how the 2012-13 MIAMI Hurricanes basketball team still thinks that they should have won it all that amazing season. 7 years later they're still adamant that they expected to win it all, as did quite a few of us fans I am sure. I'll attach the link here.. Enjoy!

I remember that team. We won the ACC and we were a 2 seed in the tourney. I was one of those that felt like we COULD win it all but I wouldn't have bet on it. But I thought at least we'd make the great 8.

It was still a great run though.

That’s a stretch but it was our Best chance no doubt. Marquette and buzz Williams had their way with us.

We didn't play well in the big dance. We had to eek out a win against a mediocre Illinois team, and then Marquette destroyed us in the sweet 16. We even struggled some with our first round opponent too (Pacific I think it was?).

Winning sweet 16 and beyond requires a different attitude... almost a tough, serious approach from players, with relentless game planning and focus.

Not being unappreciative of Coach L but he is more into the "have fun and no tension" approach to bball. That can take us only so far... and will almost always underachieve when it matters

Last edited:
Advertisement
In fact, I'd argue we haven't played particularly well in any big dance appearance under L. We have under performed our seeding every time.

2012-2013 #2 seed and lost in the sweet 16 to #3 seed Marquette (under performed seeding. The win against Illinois also wasn't a good performance. This team greatly underachieved in the tourney)
2015-2016 #3 seed and lost in the sweet 16 to #2 seed Villanova (performed on par with seeding - both wins against lower seeded opponents - Buffalo and Wichita State were nail biters)
2016-2017 #8 seed and lost in the first round to #9 seed Michigan State (under performed seeding)
2017-2018 #6 seed and lost in the first round to #11 seed Loyola (under performed seeding)

I almost had to do a double take when going back and looking at the results. I could've sworn we've been to the tourney under L more than 4 times, but we haven't. We really need to get back to make consistent tourney appearances again starting with this season.

In fact, I'd argue we haven't played particularly well in any big dance appearance under L. We have under performed our seeding every time.

2012-2013 #2 seed and lost in the sweet 16 to #3 seed Marquette (under performed seeding. The win against Illinois also wasn't a good performance. This team greatly underachieved in the tourney)
2015-2016 #3 seed and lost in the sweet 16 to #2 seed Villanova (performed on par with seeding - both wins against lower seeded opponents - Buffalo and Wichita State were nail biters)
2016-2017 #8 seed and lost in the first round to #9 seed Michigan State (under performed seeding)
2017-2018 #6 seed and lost in the first round to #11 seed Loyola (under performed seeding)

I almost had to do a double take when going back and looking at the results. I could've sworn we've been to the tourney under L more than 4 times, but we haven't. We really need to get back to make consistent tourney appearances again starting with this season.
We have some serious L homers on this board so be careful. Given the talent we have had during his tenure we have underperformed

We have some serious L homers on this board so be careful. Given the talent we have had during his tenure we have underperformed
Agreed. He's still one of the best coaches we've ever had, but that doesn't mean his performance the last few seasons should be completely excused.

That’s a stretch but it was our Best chance no doubt. Marquette and buzz Williams had their way with us.
That was a "topsy turvy" game. The "hot shooting" team (us) couldn't hit the side of a barn while the team that supposedly "couldn't shoot," made everything. Or, watching it on TV, so it seemed!

Advertisement

honestly, there is no such thing as a bad ncaa tournament win for miami. winning ncaa tournament games is really difficult. here's a stat:

miami basketball ncaa tournament victories in the last 30 years

leonard hamilton, perry clark, frank haith (21 seasons): 4
jim larranaga (9 seasons): 4

like, in reality that victory over wichita st was one of the best wins in the history of the program. yes it was a 3 vs 11 game but wichita state was wildly underseeded in that tournament, go look at the ken pom 2016 ratings, they were no 13 overall, which was actually ahead of miami at 16. that wichita team had two NBA players on it (ron baker, fred van vleet), we had sheldon mac and davon reed who had cups of coffee in the nba but were far less successful at that level than even baker. and gregg marshall is one of best coaches in college basketball. that was an incredible win. you're crazy if you look at that as underperforming seeding or some nonsense. we're talking about miami basketball here. what other wins are you cherishing?

i think it's fair to say that we fell on our faces in that marquette game. villanova destroyed us but they won the title so how am i supposed to be mad at that. the michigan state game was a stinker but again... it's miami losing to tom izzo in the ncaa tournament, how mad am i really supposed to get. the loyola game came down to lonnie missing free throws and turning the ball over and then loyola hitting a buzzer beater, idk how much that really falls on L. mostly i look at his record and think we had some bad luck with match ups (villanova, wichita st, mich st) and against loyola. the 2013 team could have gone further... so on that everyone agrees. but again it's like, that team won the ACC regular season title and won the ACC tournament. *MIAMI WON THE ACC... IN BASKETBALL*. like yeah the marquette game sucked but that's the best season in the history of the program. how is that supposed to look bad for larranaga?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back