2012-2013 Hurricanes Basketball Season

HurikaneMarc

Redshirt Freshman
Hey guys so I came across this fun story about how the 2012-13 MIAMI Hurricanes basketball team still thinks that they should have won it all that amazing season. 7 years later they're still adamant that they expected to win it all, as did quite a few of us fans I am sure. I'll attach the link here.. Enjoy!

I remember that team. We won the ACC and we were a 2 seed in the tourney. I was one of those that felt like we COULD win it all but I wouldn't have bet on it. But I thought at least we'd make the great 8.

It was still a great run though.

Allabouttheu95

Freshman
That’s a stretch but it was our Best chance no doubt. Marquette and buzz Williams had their way with us.

Gables Canes

Freshman
We didn't play well in the big dance. We had to eek out a win against a mediocre Illinois team, and then Marquette destroyed us in the sweet 16. We even struggled some with our first round opponent too (Pacific I think it was?).

caneworld

Junior
Winning sweet 16 and beyond requires a different attitude... almost a tough, serious approach from players, with relentless game planning and focus.

Not being unappreciative of Coach L but he is more into the "have fun and no tension" approach to bball. That can take us only so far... and will almost always underachieve when it matters

Last edited:

Gables Canes

Freshman
In fact, I'd argue we haven't played particularly well in any big dance appearance under L. We have under performed our seeding every time.

2012-2013 #2 seed and lost in the sweet 16 to #3 seed Marquette (under performed seeding. The win against Illinois also wasn't a good performance. This team greatly underachieved in the tourney)
2015-2016 #3 seed and lost in the sweet 16 to #2 seed Villanova (performed on par with seeding - both wins against lower seeded opponents - Buffalo and Wichita State were nail biters)
2016-2017 #8 seed and lost in the first round to #9 seed Michigan State (under performed seeding)
2017-2018 #6 seed and lost in the first round to #11 seed Loyola (under performed seeding)

I almost had to do a double take when going back and looking at the results. I could've sworn we've been to the tourney under L more than 4 times, but we haven't. We really need to get back to make consistent tourney appearances again starting with this season.

Allabouttheu95

Freshman
In fact, I'd argue we haven't played particularly well in any big dance appearance under L. We have under performed our seeding every time.

2012-2013 #2 seed and lost in the sweet 16 to #3 seed Marquette (under performed seeding. The win against Illinois also wasn't a good performance. This team greatly underachieved in the tourney)
2015-2016 #3 seed and lost in the sweet 16 to #2 seed Villanova (performed on par with seeding - both wins against lower seeded opponents - Buffalo and Wichita State were nail biters)
2016-2017 #8 seed and lost in the first round to #9 seed Michigan State (under performed seeding)
2017-2018 #6 seed and lost in the first round to #11 seed Loyola (under performed seeding)

I almost had to do a double take when going back and looking at the results. I could've sworn we've been to the tourney under L more than 4 times, but we haven't. We really need to get back to make consistent tourney appearances again starting with this season.
We have some serious L homers on this board so be careful. Given the talent we have had during his tenure we have underperformed