2011 SoFla 4&5 Stars

RyanCane26

Sophomore
I was doing some reading on Tre Mason, curious about how he left Florida when I stumbled upon a free Rivals article from Steve Megargee.

http://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1191831

Miami didn't sign any of the 21 Class of 2011 four- or five-star prospects from Miami-Dade, Broward or Palm Beach counties. Here's a look at where they signed instead.
Pos. Player College County
TE Nick O'Leary Florida State Palm Beach
DB Marcus Roberson Florida Broward
WR Kelvin Benjamin Florida State Palm Beach
QB Jacoby Brissett Florida Palm Beach
OT Bobby Hart Florida State Broward
DB Gerod Holliman Louisville Miami-Dade
DB Wayne Lyons Stanford Broward
RB Devonta Freeman Florida State Miami-Dade
QB Teddy Bridgewater Louisville Miami-Dade
DB Jabari Gorman Florida Miami-Dade
LB Curt Maggitt Tennessee Palm Beach
RB Tre Mason Auburn Palm Beach
WR Tacoi Sumler Oregon Miami-Dade
DB Robenson Therezie Auburn Miami-Dade
WR Rashad Greene Florida State Broward
LB Ryan Shazier Ohio State Broward
DT Elkino Watson USF Miami-Dade
DB Andrew Johnson Louisville Miami-Dade
DT Nile Lawrence-Stample Florida State Broward
QB Jerrard Randall Iowa West. CC/Oregon Broward
WR Eli Rogers Louisville Miami-Dade

Look at some of the names on that list.. it's like I'm watching the bottom line of ESPN for players going Pro early. Roberson, Shazier, Bridgewater, most likely Mason, Benjamin, Freeman, Greene. And a lot of that can't even be put on Golden. Sans the MNW crew, I don't think we were ever in the running for the other guys even when Shannon was around.

Anyway, I know we all knew the 2011 class sucked but not landing ONE 4 or 5 star player is bad. Can you imagine our program with even half of those guys on the roster? We got a couple decent 3 stars in Perryman and Dorsett from SoFla but the majority of that class isn't doing ****.

Just a rough estimation of other classes, I included Collier County on accident but we should be cleaning up immokalee/Ft. Myers anyway. I've been a big proponent of we're never going to get them all, but after looking at the number of 4 and 5 star players that are exiting the Tri-County & Collier area, this is going to have to change. We're not just letting one or two top dogs away, we're losing the majority of South Florida studs. It's no surprise that the players that stand out on our team are Tracy Howard, Randy Johnson, Ereck Flowers, the young DEs, Deon Bush when healthy, etc. I know this isn't ground breaking to most of you, but the numbers were a little surprising to me.

2010 2/28
2011 0/21
2012 7/15
2013 4/21
2014 9/25

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nobody to blame the class was a disaster all of 2010 ... People have no idea how that 2011 class screwed us to this day..
Thanks for sharing...

Shannon was to blame for 2011. He had like four commitments in December 2010. That's borderline negligent.

I've been critical of our South Florida recruiting, but I will say that the numbers you posted are trending up.

Advertisement
Al had to put this class together right when he got the job. God **** you guys are annoying.

This is exactly why I'm struggling to right off goldens coaching staff like a lot of u guys. The senior class tht just left sucked and this class was some last second patchwork. Those were the upperclassmen on last years team.

Problem is some people want that to be 15/15 or 25/25 every year. It will never happen. Never has happened. **** in 2002 we only got something like 6 of the top 15 players in SoFla. A YEAR AFTER A NC!!!!

Advertisement
Shannon was to blame for 2011. He had like four commitments in December 2010. That's borderline negligent.

I've been critical of our South Florida recruiting, but I will say that the numbers you posted are trending up.
Actually if shannon wasn't fired he would have closed very well in that class to be fair...

Actually if shannon wasn't fired he would have closed very well in that class to be fair...

After seeing how ****** his players that just graduated were I kinda highly, HIGHLY doubt that. In fact someone point me in the direction of a Shannon recruit, not named Sean Spence, who did anything for this program.

Yeah, Brock, with all due respect, I don't think Shannon had any chance of closing a good 2011 class. He had nothing in the cupboard at all. What Golden patched together was almost a miracle given how badly the recruiting was going that year.

Advertisement
we need depth bad. I feel a little better than AQM and Kamalu will be older and strong but our best interior linemen is Olsen Pierre a former temple commit.
At lb, Figs will improve alot i think. Grace will be very good, i wouldnt be surprised with a tracy style jump. Ambrister is a back up. Tyriq just finished his first year at the position and I think he be good, he makes plays but open field tackling was weak. Kirby i think will be better than gaines, he tries to hurt people at least. Young or Owens if ee might earn time but i would love ot be able to redshirt because when this staff redshirted eddie johnson, it really showed.

The secondary i am not worried about.

Problem is some people want that to be 15/15 or 25/25 every year. It will never happen. Never has happened. **** in 2002 we only got something like 6 of the top 15 players in SoFla. A YEAR AFTER A NC!!!!

True, but if we can get somewhere between 50-60% and hit on our evaluations that would be phenomenal.

2003 was the first year I can find state rankings but we went 6/11 which is right about where we should be. Bowe being one of the ones that got away.

Tacoi Sumler was a friend of mine at Columbus. He was never really looked at. He had an offer but that was the extent of his recruitment. He is 5'9 so of course he was too short right? NO! That kid broke the record at the Nike SPARQ camp the summer before his senior year by running a 4.29 in the 40! Speed is why he went to Oregon, it should have been the sole reason we made him a priority. Could have had him instead of Dorsett. Use him as a CB, although his hands were really good, as a PR/KR or even as a slot receiver and on reverses. Just get the ball in his hands.

Advertisement
Tacoi Sumler was a friend of mine at Columbus. He was never really looked at. He had an offer but that was the extent of his recruitment. He is 5'9 so of course he was too short right? NO! That kid broke the record at the Nike SPARQ camp the summer before his senior year by running a 4.29 in the 40! Speed is why he went to Oregon, it should have been the sole reason we made him a priority. Could have had him instead of Dorsett. Use him as a CB, although his hands were really good, as a PR/KR or even as a slot receiver and on reverses. Just get the ball in his hands.

He had a good career at Oregon right? NO! He transferred. To Appalachian State! You prefer him over Dorsett....

I rarely post but **** your posts are annoying, chill with the exclamation points! And please, when you do post at least have a point to make.

More importance definitely has to be made in this area. I hope in 4 years we're all not sitting here talking about how we missed out on Sean White and/or Treon Harris. We completely ignored them focusing on OOS kids in Kaaya (ecstatic we landed him) and Rosier who is a question mark at best. Our past staffs have ignored elite talent in the past and regretted it greatly 3-4 years down the road. Golden and staff has ignored some highly rated recruits in his time as well...Ravian Pierce, Wilson, Yeargin, Flowers, just to name a few.

He had a good career at Oregon right? NO! He transferred. To Appalachian State! You prefer him over Dorsett....

I rarely post but **** your posts are annoying, chill with the exclamation points! And please, when you do post at least have a point to make.

He had off the field issues. That is why he transferred. Mayneyou do have a point but the reality is he has more talent than Dorsett.

I apologize if I annoy you, can't please everyone homie. My B.

Also. I'm sure you are fine with the countless dropped balls Dorsett has had in his career here. 2 in the first quarter against ND as a small example. Solid dude! Simply saying Sumler transferred from Oregon is your point to attack mine. You don't even know the story as to why he transferred. Don't mean to be rude, but for real dude no need to attack me either.

Advertisement
Back