2008 Recruiting Class vs 2018 Class

Hurricanes_5

Band
Banned
i know that class (miami northwestern kids and the boys from BTW mainly) didnt turn out how we had hoped but just based off of where those players where ranked and how well the majority of them played during high school careers how does that class compare to the "Potential" of this 2018 class in everyone's opinion?

Advertisement
That '08 class was the first year I started following recruiting. That's when I discovered Canestime. Seems so long ago now.

They are pretty similar, except the 2018 class is off to a better start. In 08 we did we get early commits from Patrick Johnson and Brandon Washington but I think Marcus Forston waited until summer. So from just "potential," they are pretty similar although I think some of our recruits that year were very puzzling..Brandon Marti, Zach Kane, Joe Wylie, etc.

I do remember being very disappointed that we missed on Johnson, Janoris Jenkins, Jamie Harper, and Corey Liuget. We were in it until the end with all of them except for Johnson when he committed to LSU.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It was star studded in 2008 and many of them did not get developed, got hurt, or transferred. Travis Benjamin was my favorite and he has enjoyed a decent pro career thus far.

Here is my prediction. Make it official. We make Satan retire. He's 69-70 now. We come in in 2019 or 2020 and beat the absolute **** outta those guys cuz Sabans coaching and recruiting fall off over the next 2-3 years.

Perfect return to a new dynasty.

Was the other class so beastly? These kids in 18 are ****ing animals visibly.

Yes. Forston was one of the top guys in the country and embarassed everybody at camps and the Army game. Patrick Johnson who was committed to Miami for a long time was clearly on a totally different level than everybody else. Aldarius Johnson, believe it or not, got attention the way Mark Pope does now and had been a topic on Miami message boards since his sophomore season. Brandon Washington was viewed as one of the better dade OLs in some time, and Dade was not producing OL back then like it is now. Arthur Brown was one of the top players in the country and killed all the workouts and camps.

Obviously, a lot of these guys ended up being overrated but at the time the class was beastly.

Was the other class so beastly? These kids in 18 are ****ing animals visibly.

Yes. Forston was one of the top guys in the country and embarassed everybody at camps and the Army game. Patrick Johnson who was committed to Miami for a long time was clearly on a totally different level than everybody else. Aldarius Johnson, believe it or not, got attention the way Mark Pope does now and had been a topic on Miami message boards since his sophomore season. Brandon Washington was viewed as one of the better dade OLs in some time, and Dade was not producing OL back then like it is now. Arthur Brown was one of the top players in the country and killed all the workouts and camps.

Obviously, a lot of these guys ended up being overrated but at the time the class was beastly.

First of all now remembering that ****. Athur & Bryce Brown had a MF crazy family advisor. Those boys bounced around more then...... Both in the league though. Man that was a long time ago.

Advertisement
Let's hope this '18 class is nothing like the '08 class. Might be the most overrated class in history.

Part of what inflated that classes ranking was sheer number of commits (33). We won't have nearly that amount this cycle. Other big difference is there were 10 out of state commits, which doesn't look to be the case this year. We have all FL commits right now unless you don't include the IMG guys than we have 2 out of staters so far. I'm sure we will get a few more like Jordan, but I doubt it gets anywhere close to 10. And lastly, because we won't be taking as many kids, we won't have class fillers at the bottom like Cannon Smith, Taylor Cook, John Calhoun, Brandon Marti, CJ Odom, Andrew Smith, Joe Wylie, or Zach Kane who were all low 3 stars or 2 stars.

PS: I still think if we had a legit training program back then that Aldarius, Forston, Streeter, and Collier could have all been a million times better.

Advertisement
Part of what inflated that classes ranking was sheer number of commits (33). We won't have nearly that amount this cycle. Other big difference is there were 10 out of state commits, which doesn't look to be the case this year. We have all FL commits right now unless you don't include the IMG guys than we have 2 out of staters so far. I'm sure we will get a few more like Jordan, but I doubt it gets anywhere close to 10. And lastly, because we won't be taking as many kids, we won't have class fillers at the bottom like Cannon Smith, Taylor Cook, John Calhoun, Brandon Marti, CJ Odom, Andrew Smith, Joe Wylie, or Zach Kane who were all low 3 stars or 2 stars.

PS: I still think if we had a legit training program back then that Aldarius, Forston, Streeter, and Collier could have all been a million times better.

I didn't realize the size of that class. Remenecent of Goldilocks garbage. 30+ class infusion. 8 players.

Difference between 08 and 18?

08: Randy Shannon , Patrick Nix, Bill Young.

18: Mark Richt, Thomas Brown, Coach Kool, Manny Diaz

This. If you look at the total average of the '17 and '08 classes, the '17 class actually grades out better. But 08 had the #s to give them that #1 ranking.

Gotta look at the average. Clemson was a good example in this last cycle. Super small class but all highly rated kids, yet their final ranking wasn't that high. By average of star they were 4th, but the small class brought them down to 16th!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Was the other class so beastly? These kids in 18 are ******* animals visibly.

This class in 2018 is much better IMO. When I say that I mean potentially. That is if we land the kids we think we are supposed to land like Campbell, Hall, Blades, Pope etc. If we manage to close out 2018 like we are expecting to then this class beats out 2008 top to bottom.

Another thing to consider is that the kids in 2008 didn't exactly get the best coaching. The 2018 kids will enjoy the benefits of good coaching which will allow them to develop from one year to the next like it's supposed to be.

Last edited:
Ever since that class I get a little worried getting a ton of talent from one high school team.seems like it would be easy for them to be overrated

However on the other hand a lot of those kids ended up in the NFL despite their ****** careers here, 2008 class had the talent for sure we just didn't develop or use it properly.

Richt and co are different, thankfully

Advertisement
Back