2007 FHSAA All Century Team

Advertisement
Some serious talent on this team. Anthony Carter graduated in 1979. He is the best ever to come out and of PBC. All state basketball player also.

Florida has produced so much talent. . . more per capita than any other state. I cannot imagine this list not including local standout, Derrick Thomas (South Miami). He was often unblockable.

Advertisement
Don't know how you don't put Frank Gore or Travis Henry on that list. Frank Gore rushed for 2,998 in a year, in Dade County. Maybe Emmit Smith does that, but I'm sure the other 3 could put up those numbers in that area, during that time!

He was generally considered the #2 LB during his time in the NFL (after Lawrence Taylor)....

Definitely a great LB....

Florida has produced so much talent. . . more per capita than any other state. I cannot imagine this list not including local standout, Derrick Thomas (South Miami). He was often unblockable.

Advertisement
Hard to argue with the list although there is always going to be someone who you thought should be on it. A lot of these guys had impressive accomplishments during their post high school years. From a pure high school athlete standpoint Larry Rentz of Coral Gables High 63-65 was the best I've ever seen.

Frank Gore rushed for 2,998 in a year, in Dade County.

While Henry put up some impressive numbers, He did it against weaker comp, in a weaker classification...seriously doubt He puts up Gore's #s in Dade County. No slight to Polk County though.
Travis Henry scored like 6 TD's before halftime against Sebring back in the day. Everything I've ever heard about him was if he touched the ball he was scoring.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Advertisement

While Henry put up some impressive numbers, He did it against weaker comp, in a weaker classification...seriously doubt He puts up Gore's #s in Dade County. No slight to Polk County though.
Travis Henry scored like 6 TD's before halftime against Sebring back in the day. Everything I've ever heard about him was if he touched the ball he was scoring.

Oh yeah, Henry was a beast in HS, but He played on a lousy HS team.

IIRC, His Sr. year where He ran for like 4K, they barely cracked .500...remember one game where He ran for 350 & 5 TDs, and they still lost.

Trav to me was more of a between the tackles runner, while Gore had the total package of speed,vision, & balance.

Leon Bright was a great kick returner, no doubt. But I would have to put Devin Hester in front of him.

IIRC, His Sr. year where He ran for like 4K, they barely cracked .500...remember one game where He ran for 350 & 5 TDs, and they still lost.

Trav to me was more of a between the tackles runner, while Gore had the total package of speed,vision, & balance.

You are either an outright liar, or completely misinformed.

Frostproof lost two games in 1995, an overtime squeaker to Sebring, and the State Championship game to a Union County team featuring 9 D-1 athletes. They beat Pahokee with both Bolden brothers in the section championship.

Travis rushed for over 3k in the regular season despite not playing much of the second half in 4 games. He rushed for over 200 yards in every game and for over 1k in the playoffs. He set a State record for yards from scrimmage in the title game loss.

I'm betting you never saw him live. He was Tennessee's all-time leading rusher despite sharing carries with Jamal Lewis and had a nice NFL career. He was also dumb as a rock and turned to drug trafficking to pay his child support.

But to try and downplay his accomplishments at the HS level is ridiculous. Ask Gerard Warren or Ronald Bolden or any of those other Pahokee defenders what they think of Travis Henry.

I had this argument with Bakas back in the day. Put Gore and Frostproof's team and he absolutely dominates, put Travis on Gables and the same would be true.

Advertisement

Frostproof lost two games in 1995, an overtime squeaker to Sebring, and the State Championship game to a Union County team featuring 9 D-1 athletes. They beat Pahokee with both Bolden brothers in the section championship.

Travis rushed for over 3k in the regular season despite not playing much of the second half in 4 games. He rushed for over 200 yards in every game and for over 1k in the playoffs. He set a State record for yards from scrimmage in the title game loss.

I'm betting you never saw him live. He was Tennessee's all-time leading rusher despite sharing carries with Jamal Lewis and had a nice NFL career. He was also dumb as a rock and turned to drug trafficking to pay his child support.

But to try and downplay his accomplishments at the HS level is ridiculous. Ask Gerard Warren or Ronald Bolden or any of those other Pahokee defenders what they think of Travis Henry.

I had this argument with Bakas back in the day. Put Gore and Frostproof's team and he absolutely dominates, put Travis on Gables and the same would be true.
My old varsity pitching coach here was the QB for Sebring but idk what year. Coach Rapp was that dude too. He was Sebring's head coach. Im too young to have seen Travis Henry but my coach eyes would get big when he talked about him. But they said Willie English from Avon Park was almost as good.

[MENTION=355]wisecane[/MENTION]

LOL...**** dawg, I'm hurt...LOL

I was living in the PC at the time, followed His accomplishments via the Lakeland Ledger.

And I stand corrected on His team's record, thought it was worse than that, Thanks...but I do remember He ran for 350 & 5 TDs in a loss.

But I still contend He did it against weaker comp, He doesn't put up those numbers in Dade County...Gore > Henry.

My old varsity pitching coach here was the QB for Sebring but idk what year. Coach Rapp was that dude too. He was Sebring's head coach. Im too young to have seen Travis Henry but my coach eyes would get big when he talked about him. But they said Willie English from Avon Park was almost as good.

I played against Willie English and that mf'er was a BEAST. He was UCF's all-time leading rusher before he shredded his knee there. AP ran a Power-I with Dexter Seigler at QB, Willie at one HB, Reggie Allen (think Leonard Conley-ish) at the other HB and Reggie's brother Lynn Allen at FB. They were a machine. Mercy ruling, running clock type machine.

Advertisement
Back