2007 FHSAA All Century Team

[MENTION=355]wisecane[/MENTION]
You are either an outright liar, or completely misinformed.

LOL...**** dawg, I'm hurt...LOL

I was living in the PC at the time, followed His accomplishments via the Lakeland Ledger.

And I stand corrected on His team's record, thought it was worse than that, Thanks...but I do remember He ran for 350 & 5 TDs in a loss.

But I still contend He did it against weaker comp, He doesn't put up those numbers in Dade County...Gore > Henry.

Sorry man, I get a little fired up about central Florida fb.

I never said TH was better than FG. FG was as good a RB prospect as there has ever been with the HS production to back it up. This was about leaving arguably two of the best ever (regardless of State) high school running backs off the All-Century team.

But your numbers in Dade argument is weak. You gonna tell me a 9 year NFL vet, All-time Tennessee leading rusher, National single-season record holder at RB isn't going to dominate behind a 6A Dade line? This isn't Slowrenzo Booker that didn't do **** after leaving HS man.

This kid would get his 200 before halftime and then sit. That Sebring game was awesome to see. HC decides to use him as a decoy of sorts in the first half and FB gets down big, Travis tells him at halftime feed me and we win. He has over 200 in the second half and we decide to go for two and the win at the end of the game. Coach calls a pass, QB changes to run post-huddle (our OL wasn't in on it) they pass block, he's stopped and we lose. It happens but **** what a game.

He also shined when the brightest when the comp was the best (probably because he played all game and got the carries). From ESPN:

Travis Henry saved his best performances of his senior year for the playoffs. He rushed for 364 yards and a little more than a half in the 3A quarterfinals against Ransom Everglades. In the state semifinals against Pahokee, he needed all 273 yards and five touchdowns to lift Frostproof to a 45-27 victory. In the 3A championship game against Lake Butler (Fla.) Union County, Travis Henry accounted for 328 rushing yards, 65 receiving yards, four touchdowns and three two-point conversions.

No scrubs there (except Ransom lol). The Ransom coach was quoted saying they'd not only hold him under 200, they'd keep him under 100. Second or third play he goes 95. Nothing against you as you are a Cane, but you don't know what you don't know here.

Were you playing at Plant City in '95-96? My brother-in-law was a Captain on those teams, maybe he knows you.

Advertisement
The Ransom coach was quoted saying they'd not only hold him under 200, they'd keep him under 100.

LOL, I remember that quote, **** you gotta good memory.

But as far as my Dade argument goes, in proportion to the level of competition, Henry wouldn't have racked up the yards He racked up at Frostproof, in Dade County. ****, even some of the locals in PC were saying His numbers were overrated due to level of comp. And I'll take their words for it, they knew PC football better than me.

But don't get me wrong, there's some hella talent in PC, that place really opened my eyes as to how much HSFB talent there was/is in the State.

And no, I played my HS ball in Miami, played for Central in the early 90's, I used to work in Plant City though.

The Ransom coach was quoted saying they'd not only hold him under 200, they'd keep him under 100.

But as far as my Dade argument goes, in proportion to the level of competition, Henry wouldn't have racked up the yards He racked up at Frostproof, in Dade County. ****, even some of the locals in PC were saying His numbers were overrated due to level of comp. And I'll take their words for it, they knew PC football better than me.

But don't get me wrong, there's some hella talent in PC, that place really opened my eyes as to how much HSFB talent there was/is in the State.

And no, I played my HS ball in Miami, played for Central in the early 90's, I used to work in Plant City though.

Oh you been talking to them Lakeland boys that had their shine taken away. Again with the comp. So everything after HS just didn't happen? It's ok man, I get where you're coming from. Just know you don't have to cut another man's bushes down to try to make yours look taller.

edit- last thing on this, I know the best overall football, top to bottom is played in Florida, South Florida specifically. Nobody in their right mind would argue otherwise. But I also know "that guy" when I see him, and he ain't ALWAYS from South Florida.

Last edited:
Again with the comp. So everything after HS just didn't happen? It's ok man, I get where you're coming from. Just know you don't have to cut another man's bushes down to try to make yours look taller.

Of course what happened after HS matters, Trav did His thing, but Gore's still better. And I didn't minimize Henry's accomplishments, I'm just saying you have to adjust it for weaker comp.

Again with the comp. So everything after HS just didn't happen? It's ok man, I get where you're coming from. Just know you don't have to cut another man's bushes down to try to make yours look taller.

Of course what happened after HS matters, Trav did His thing, but Gore's still better. And I didn't minimize Henry's accomplishments, I'm just saying you have to adjust it for weaker comp.

Again, no one is arguing that Gore isn't.

Just curious, in your opinion, how much should it be adjusted? -5, -10, -30, -50%? By how much and why?

Advertisement
Just curious, in your opinion, how much should it be adjusted? -5, -10, -30, -50%? By how much and why?

Dunno, but seems to me you think Henry would've ran for over 4K against Dade 6A competition? I don't see it, but I do think He would've at least matched Gore's Senior year numbers. And you gotta remember, Gore was bangin' heads against the likes of Vilma in practice alone, seriously doubt Henry was facing that type of talent at Frostproof practices. Shoot, that 2K class that Frank was a part of, was probably UM's greatest class ever, and most of those kids were from Dade, IIRC.

Dunno, but seems to me you think Henry would've ran for over 4K against Dade 6A competition? I don't see it, but I do think He would've at least matched Gore's Senior year numbers. And you gotta remember, Gore was bangin' heads against the likes of Vilma in practice alone, seriously doubt Henry was facing that type of talent at Frostproof practices. Shoot, that 2K class that Frank was a part of, was probably UM's greatest class ever, and most of those kids were from Dade, IIRC.

Oh no, I don't believe Travis would have run for 3K in Dade much less 4. I don't even believe he would have equaled the 2900 Gore put up on the exact same team. But I bet he'd have had over 2k and maybe 2500 if he got the carries.

If you didn't watch him live it's hard to understand where I'm coming from. If you reached out for him, you had already lost, he was freakishly strong for his size. His nickname was Donkey Kong (from the OL). He ran away from the Pahokee and Union County kids so he was plenty fast enough for HS, but no where near Gore's explosiveness or top-end.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that his gift (the quick burst with strength) was amplified in HS compared to college and the pros because those dudes got way bigger and stronger. Gore's gifts (elite vision, cuts and burst) were amplified more in college and the pros. I mean you can only out run or juke somebody just so badly right. Gore's quickness and burst worked better at the next level(s) even though everybody got quicker too.

I don't know if it's coming out right how I'm trying to say it.

Advertisement

Oh you been talking to them Lakeland boys that had their shine taken away. Again with the comp. So everything after HS just didn't happen? It's ok man, I get where you're coming from. Just know you don't have to cut another man's bushes down to try to make yours look taller.

edit- last thing on this, I know the best overall football, top to bottom is played in Florida, South Florida specifically. Nobody in their right mind would argue otherwise. But I also know "that guy" when I see him, and he ain't ALWAYS from South Florida.

Agreed. I was in high school at Lake Gibson at the time. Saw Henry play live twice from the stands. I had no idea who he was before the game, but as it was going on I remember feeling very badly for the opposition.

Advertisement
Back