2001 Canes vs 2008 Lions

Advertisement
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_College_All-Star_Game

A group of some of the better college players beat the super bowl champs a few times. Last time was in 63. Very close game against the 74 Steelers.

The college team doesn’t have a year to build timing and develop under a system.

Not saying the 01 canes or 19 LSU Tigers would win, but I wouldn’t discount it and I could see it being close. 19 LSU would have a better chance with a franchise type qb and Joe Brady calling plays.

Advertisement
The 2001 Canes starting 22 had a few future NFL stars and a few future NFL journeyman. The 2008 Detroit Lions were all legit NFL players, despite the 0-16 record.

Miami’s top liabilities would been Larry Coker and staff against a veteran NFL staff, and the OL. McKinnie enjoyed a long career as an average NFL OL, while Bibla and Romberg had a few cups of coffee. They would have not been a match for an NFL defense.

We brag that there were 30(?) pro's on that 2001 team. Well, there were 53 pro's on that '08 Lion team.
Pride would also be a factor in favor of the Lions.

Detroit wins, but I would take my Canes and the points.

Advertisement
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_College_All-Star_Game

A group of some of the better college players beat the super bowl champs a few times. Last time was in 63. Very close game against the 74 Steelers.

The college team doesn’t have a year to build timing and develop under a system.

Not saying the 01 canes or 19 LSU Tigers would win, but I wouldn’t discount it and I could see it being close. 19 LSU would have a better chance with a franchise type qb and Joe Brady calling plays.
i used to watch this game every year. College all-stars did win a few times. Over the years we had some players in the game for the all-stars. Usually played in the summer, maybe July.

QB: Daunte Culpepper
RB: Kevin Smith, Rudi Johnson
WR: Calvin Johnson, Roy Williams, Shaun McDonald.
TE: John Owens/Michael Gaines
NFL OL

vs Miami defense.

Who is matching up with and shutting down Calvin Johnson? He torched NFL defenses even that terrible season of 2008.

I suppose coker puts Mike Rumph on Calvin Johnson and Phillip Buchannon on Roy Williams. They going to exploit the height advantages with two 6’5 WRs.

Kevin Smith and Rudi Johnson were average NFL RBs but they still were NFL RBs.

Daunte Culpepper wasn’t a hoe in the NFL.

Advertisement
Cliff Avril, Shaun Cody, And Cory Redding were good enough to give Miami’s OL some problems.

Ernie Sims, Paris Lennon, Kalvin Pearson, And Bullocks were solid enough in the back 7 to give Miami’s offense problems.

Miami would have to air it out to win the game.

Detroits corners were abysmal that year, all of them.
Miami’s WRs would give the lions corners problems.

Do you trust Dorsey enough to throw the football 45 times to win the game?

Advertisement
Cliff Avril, Shaun Cody, And Cory Redding were good enough to give Miami’s OL some problems.

Ernie Sims, Paris Lennon, Kalvin Pearson, And Bullocks were solid enough in the back 7 to give Miami’s offense problems.

Miami would have to air it out to win the game.

Detroits corners were abysmal that year, all of them.
Miami’s WRs would give the lions corners problems.

Do you trust Dorsey enough to throw the football 45 times to win the game?

I'm not very knowledgable on exactly what went wrong with the 08 Detroit team.

Anyway, if the Lions forced Dorsey to throw the ball 45 times, they would win easily. Dorsey is one of the most mediocre QBs ever to win a national title. (And Dorsey would have 3 national titles if it weren't for the BCS computers and Terry Porter- that's how amazingly loaded the rest of the team was.)

We could only beat the Lions if they allowed us to run the ball down their throats.

IDK why TemplarCane is saying the oline would have been a liability. The 01 oline was amazing. They allowed something like one or two sacks all season.

Advertisement
Back