2000 Miami staff

This was a great staff. Butch was a great coach and nice guy. I spoke with him at Hecht Center before the 2000 season began. They had a list goals on a whiteboard for the 2000 season. The FSU game had an asterisk next to it. The goal was to average 300 yards passing and 200 yards rushing per game. The staff knew how loaded they were at the running back position. James Jackson, Najeh Davenport, Clinton Portis, and Jarrett Payton. Plus they had Willis MacGahee as a true freshman and DJ Williams playing some fullback for the year.
Shhhhhhhh...(Not toooo loud)...You might wake the Anti Butch brigade outta their Slumber....

Advertisement
If we could just have staffs that produce good college coordinators we would be cooking with gas.
Said it before this season, if we looked at Schnelly, JJ, and Butch’s staffs, they all had something in common: Either they became CFB or NFL Head Coaches or NFL assistants. Who u surround urself w/ is just as, if not more important than who u recruit. Golden surrounded himself w/ buffoons. Coker surrounded himself w/ guys resting on their laurels. Richt surrounded himself w yes men & a JV squad. Manny continued that trend last yr. This yr, at least on O, it appears he surrounded himself w/ some competent football minds.

Last edited:
that's a **** good staff, always liked Schiano as DC.....Soldinger was a stud,Chud was an HC in NFLCurtis Johnson had a good NFL career Pagano was an NFL HC...... seems like Butch knew as much about staff as he did personnel
Schiano....fired after two seasons.
Chud...fires after one season.

But they got the gig, and since HC jobs are fully guaranteed, got paid.

Pagano...good coach, playoff teams. Give credit.

Coker...best job a NC-winning HC could find was HC for UT-San Antonio.

Advertisement
Schiano....fired after two seasons.
Chud...fires after one season.

But they got the gig, and since HC jobs are fully guaranteed, got paid.

Pagano...good coach, playoff teams. Give credit.

Coker...best job a NC-winning HC could find was HC for UT-San Antonio.

Who givers a ***? They were still good enough to get an NFL HC job. That's the top of your craft. That a top notch college staff buddy you can try to take away from all you want.

Who givers a ***? They were still good enough to get an NFL HC job. That's the top of your craft. That a top notch college staff buddy you can try to take away from all you want.
Did I post it wasn’t a good college staff? It was a great college staff.

Buddy.

Did I post it wasn’t a good college staff? It was a great college staff.

Buddy.

You pointed they got fired... like you were trying to minimize the greatness of that staff. Who cares if they got fired? Its meaningless to the point being made. You'd be hard pressed to find staffs like that with a staff with those accomplishments. Off the top off my head USc mid 2000's with lane kiffin, carrol, I think oregeron was with those guys, the LB his name escapes me who's currently in Seattle with carol etc.

Polly look at Sabin staffs but I don't think they have to many NFL guys on them. a lot of guys who have become college HC's.

You pointed they got fired... like you were trying to minimize the greatness of that staff. Who cares if they got fired? Its meaningless to the point being made. You'd be hard pressed to find staffs like that with a staff with those accomplishments. Off the top off my head USc mid 2000's with lane kiffin, carrol, I think oregeron was with those guys, the LB his name escapes me who's currently in Seattle with carol etc.

Polly look at Sabin staffs but I don't think they have to many NFL guys on them. a lot of guys who have become college HC's.
Yes, I did point out Schiano and Chud were quickly fired in the NFL. If you choose to include their NFL HC opportunities to justify their ‘greatness’ you should include their results on the job. I also noted Pagano enjoyed success as a HC in the NFL. 1 out of 3. Better than most.

Schiano is a good college coach. His accomplishments at Rutgers were ridiculous, by Rutgers standards. He’ll likely do well there this second term. He won’t sniff a conference or division championship in the Big 10 but the team will be more competitive and qualify for lesser bowl game invites. His experience at Tennessee was unfortunate. A mid-tier school in a P5 conference was the type of job he should have left Rutgers for, not the NFL.

Chud? Who knows? His current gig as “assistant to the HC” at BC doesn’t inspire me to think he’ll rise back up. But, since he’s a former Cane, I hope he does.

The USC staffs under Caroll were up there. OC Sarkisian landed HC gigs at Washington and back at USC. His drinking problem ruined what may have been a good career. He’s OC at Bama, after a stint as an OC in the NFL. OC Kiffin, we know his story. He seems to have been resurrected at Ole Miss. We’ll see. Coach O, of course. Carroll had a mix of former NFL assistants due to his NFL connections.

Butch’s staff in 2000 was better, IMO.

IIRC, Butch wanted to bring Mike Zimmer along from Dallas, but Jerry Jones refused. Zimmer was a defensive assistant to Butch, and is now HC at Minnesota.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
What other staff had two Graduate Assistants become future head coaches? Two who would win the SEC championship and one win a national championship. Unbelievable and incredible staff!

Advertisement
Let's just put it this way.... Does Baker, Patke or Rumph look like the Defensive staff that can lead this team to the championship game in the next 2 years?

Thats how long we can expect Lashlee to be here. After that, it is back to the drawing board for Manny.

If he's smart he's net working with NFL guys getting to know who the next young up and coming defensive and offensive minds are. Go young comes you'll have your potential replacement of the staff already.

I’ve prodded him on this before but he never says. I think I got Sam Pittman (current Arkansas hc and one of best Ol coaches in country out of him).
I had heard similar, but didn't know all names.

Thanks

Advertisement
Back