2 Years in With Mario: An In-Depth Approach

Yes, let's blame all those missed tackles on Mario. Lets blame the interception, blocked punt and Georges atrocious penalties on Mario. Obviously Mario failed to get this team ready for the bowl game, but lets not act like the clock management was the reason we lost

kyle broflovski head in sand GIF by South Park

Advertisement
Mario isn’t an X/O guy, he isn’t a strategist so he should be able to motivate. IMO a HC main job is to motivate and make sure his team is ready to play. Can you really say he does that well?
Mario needs to do a better job of getting his team motivated and ready to play these games, I do agree. as Mario continues to flip the roster and bring in the right talent, I think we'll continue to get better in this regard. Let's look at guys like Ryan Day, Kirby Smart, Steve Sarkisian, Harbough, and Lanning. They aren't these great X/O guys. What makes those teams successful is that they putting out a disciplined football team every Saturday.

I'll give it Year 3 and 4.

If I white HC with cornrows in HS can turn around FSU in years 3 and 4, Mario can too.

Advertisement
What? Are you ok lol.

Give me a real rebuttal, I’ve got time today. Tell me Mario is your goat. Tell me everything I posted didn’t occur in 2022 and 2023. It’s all make-believe.

Pls stop responding to this troll, bro. They are by far a top 10 porster on this site who loves the idea of being mediocre.

Advertisement
Today’s result is little more than a microcosm of what we seen for the prior 24 games. Win today and Mario would be 13-12, not 12-13. I understand there were a number of key starters out, but still does not excuse the performance we saw today.

What I don’t understand is how a head coach so concerned with every little detail has a team consistently failing at fundamentals. Missed blocks, missed tackles, undisciplined, and unmotivated. The staff whose clock management baffles fans and announcers.

Typical Miami Hurricane football, going all the way back to the later Coker years.

View attachment 275772

What I highlighted is the most head scratching. Gilmore highlighted this in the play by play; he said (paraphrasing) “I know Miami fans may be frustrated at Mario & his usage of time outs, but this is kind of his m.o right?”

Just seeing us either bleed the clock when we’re down two scores late in the game, or allow a team to bleed the clock late in the game down two scores is mind numbingly frustrating. We’ll have two-three T.Os down 10 in the 4th w/ like 4 mins left, & we’ll let our opponents drain 2:30 from that time before calling one timeout.

It’s continuously criticized by guys who are calling our games. We’ve been asked, ‘Why is Mario not kneeling, the game is over?’ We’ve been asked, ‘Why is Miami playing so slow, they need to start moving down two scores.’ We’ve been asked, ‘Why is Miami not taking a timeout here to save time?’

We’re asking the same ?’s

What I highlighted is the most head scratching. Gilmore highlighted this in the play by play; he said (paraphrasing) “I know Miami fans may be frustrated at Mario & his usage of time outs, but this is kind of his m.o right?”

Just seeing us either bleed the clock when we’re down two scores late in the game, or allow a team to bleed the clock late in the game down two scores is mind numbingly frustrating. We’ll have two-three T.Os down 10 in the 4th w/ like 4 mins left, & we’ll let our opponents drain 2:30 from that time before calling one timeout.

It’s continuously criticized by guys who are calling our games. We’ve been asked, ‘Why is Mario not kneeling, the game is over?’ We’ve been asked, ‘Why is Miami playing so slow, they need to start moving down two scores.’ We’ve been asked, ‘Why is Miami not taking a timeout here to save time?’

We’re asking the same ?’s
I’m with you there. Makes no sense. Time after time. And this is from a head coach who played under Dennis Erickson, and coached under Nick Saban. For all of Erickson’s faults, he was an excellent gameday coach.

I’ve always wondered if this could be handled by a quality control coach/analyst(s) who sole job is to keep the bench organized and the staff aware of the clock and timeout situations. Maybe they have that and it’s just not working.

Last edited:
Really want Mario to succeed but so far nothing has shown me that he will, unless he suddenly fixes his gameday coaching and offensive woes. He's our version of Will Muschamp, even though Muschamp got to a Sugar Bowl and it was his first gig.

The worst part is that we know he's busting his *** because it is Miami and nothing seems to work. Most surprising thing is team discipline is still trash year 2, and we all thought he would at least fix that.

Advertisement
Mario needs to do a better job of getting his team motivated and ready to play these games, I do agree. as Mario continues to flip the roster and bring in the right talent, I think we'll continue to get better in this regard. Let's look at guys like Ryan Day, Kirby Smart, Steve Sarkisian, Harbough, and Lanning. They aren't these great X/O guys. What makes those teams successful is that they putting out a disciplined football team every Saturday.
Actually just about every guy u mentioned is a great X/O guy who has coordinated elite offenses or defenses.

Actually just about every guy u mentioned is a great X/O guy who has coordinated elite offenses or defenses.
If you can tell me how Steve Sarkisian is a good X/O guy, I'll admit I'm wrong lol. This is the same coach that went 5-7 in 2021 and 8-5 in 2022. Steve is just a great recruiter who took time to flip the roster. Now he's winning in year 3 with HIS guys. Can you explain to me how Ryan Day only scored 17 points against ND, 24 against Michigan and 20 points against Penn State with Marrison, Stover, Henderson. Embuka and Flemming all on the field together?

To be fair, remove all the opt outs and transfers from the roster. Most of whom he did not recruit, and they did not want to play for him after year one.

Now, look at that roster without those removals. Who is that team beating? That roster was very bad. The unfortunate part was most of the talent were lazy and entitled holdovers from Manny. Combine that with Mario's gameday flaws, a soft spot for adding too many blue collar mid-tier players, and you got the perfect implosion.

I think the real issue is Mario has to find the perfect mix of culture for that locker room. Everybody cannot be a local playground legend from SFL. We've done that before and it doesn't work and it always ends the same way. Look at where most of the "we didn't use him right" kids are always from. Look at recent history. It's not just a Miami thing. At some point a lot of those kids need to learn how to adapt, toughen up, take new culture, and move with the good and the bad while having a better productive attitude. When they do not, they sit the bench, throw subliminals, go live on social media like girls, and then transfer only to never really pan out.

Whether it is at Miami, Ohio St, UGA, Bama, LSU. Same players, same song! Just a different coach.

Advertisement
OR what I am starting to think, DAWSON IS A FRAUD.
I think the fact that he's from Louisiana (arguably the best football state per capita) and recruited/called games in Texas led me to overestimate his acumen. I allowed pedigree to trump performance, and admit the error.

If you can tell me how Steve Sarkisian is a good X/O guy, I'll admit I'm wrong lol. This is the same coach that went 5-7 in 2021 and 8-5 in 2022. Steve is just a great recruiter who took time to flip the roster. Now he's winning in year 3 with HIS guys. Can you explain to me how Ryan Day only scored 17 points against ND, 24 against Michigan and 20 points against Penn State with Marrison, Stover, Henderson. Embuka and Flemming all on the field together?
LOL you have to be young or just don’t know much about college football. Out of every name in the list Sark is prob the best X/O guy you named on offense. Sark from his days as USC OC has been a very good offensive mind. He lost his job at UW cause he was a fall down drunk. Did u see what Texas was before Sark got there?

Day…..you’re really going to question Day as an X/O guy? Most of the teams you just mentioned had very good defenses and this year Day had a ****** QB. What about the previous years when they lit up the Big and college football?

Sit down, you’re not prepared for this as your responses are terrible

I still have hope, maybe I’m insane. I probably am.

But man, show me something on game day. Some adaptation, something different. It’s just pathetically redundant and predictable.
You can put children through college betting on multiple back-to-back run plays being called after UM ever siezes the lead of a game regardless of time remaining.

Advertisement
Back